Space 1999 Eagle **Version 1.2 - .16, hatch & Kerbonaut Ready!**

RedSpar

Noticed this in the VTOL config:

// --Group for Engine Toggle

group = VTOL Engines

start = false

Does that group the engines together so you can toggle them on off independent of the main engine? I didn't know something like that existed.

Noticed this in the VTOL config:

// --Group for Engine Toggle

group = VTOL Engines

start = false

Does that group the engines together so you can toggle them on off independent of the main engine? I didn't know something like that existed.

If you have MechJeb installed it adds multi-engine toggle functionality.

Why won't the landing gears extend/retract anymore?

Anyway, as awesome as ever

They never did retract. The show never had them retract, so my Eagle didn't either. May add that functionality in a later patch.

Awesome, can't wait to fly this around and crash it as usual, lol. Many thanks.

To add to the landing gear controversy, I know (think) in the show, there are some shots of them acting like shock absorbers, they compress a little when the Eagle touches down. Extracting all the way is of course possible. Then, there's the main entrance/exit, which was shown many times on the show as a set of 3-4 steps extending from the utility pod hatch to the ground. These would never reach with the landing gear extended, so they must have retracted after landing to allow for the hatch to open and the steps extend to the ground.

According to the plans I linked to a page or two back, there is no direct exit from the command pod while it's attached to the service module, a person has to go out through the main hatch into the utility pod, then out the main door. This would be a really cool feature to add once scaling has been figured out, to have the exit be out the main hatch in the utility pod. Plus, the other four VTOL engines on the service module main frame between the landing gear. Though I think that's another thing never shown in the show, all eight VTOL engines on at one time.

More plans / info here http://www.starbase79.com/space.htm

Edited by Dweller_Benthos

If you have MechJeb installed it adds multi-engine toggle functionality.

What!?! That is awesome... How did I not know about this? Thanks for telling me, I'm gonna have to go edit some configs now.. :) Now if only I could group them better in the game...

I made a kethane version of this with 1 small tank, 2 drills, and a converter. Along with my satellites and fuel base, this has given me essentially a re-usable craft. I wanted to use it as a tanker, but getting the balance right for even the small adjustments mentioned was a pain. It still tends to lean forward.

Awesome, can't wait to fly this around and crash it as usual, lol. Many thanks.

To add to the landing gear controversy, I know (think) in the show, there are some shots of them acting like shock absorbers, they compress a little when the Eagle touches down. Extracting all the way is of course possible. Then, there's the main entrance/exit, which was shown many times on the show as a set of 3-4 steps extending from the utility pod hatch to the ground. These would never reach with the landing gear extended, so they must have retracted after landing to allow for the hatch to open and the steps extend to the ground.

According to the plans I linked to a page or two back, there is no direct exit from the command pod while it's attached to the service module, a person has to go out through the main hatch into the utility pod, then out the main door. This would be a really cool feature to add once scaling has been figured out, to have the exit be out the main hatch in the utility pod. Plus, the other four VTOL engines on the service module main frame between the landing gear. Though I think that's another thing never shown in the show, all eight VTOL engines on at one time.

More plans / info here http://www.starbase79.com/space.htm

Yeah in the show the gear compressed a bit when the Eagle landed. Not sure how I could make that work in game yet...

The gear can perfectly fit in the octagonal pod if need be though. Tested that in 3ds Max. I'm sure that is something they intended to do in the show but never did.

Not sure if I can add a hatch for Kerbals in a non command pod part. If I can, I'll try to add that in.

I have plans to make the cargo pod detachable and add the extra engines so the Eagle can fly without it. I'll probably wait for the .17 patch before I do that. I also have plans for a cockpit. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the link

Edited by RedSpar

I made a kethane version of this with 1 small tank, 2 drills, and a converter. Along with my satellites and fuel base, this has given me essentially a re-usable craft. I wanted to use it as a tanker, but getting the balance right for even the small adjustments mentioned was a pain. It still tends to lean forward.

I have yet to try the Kethane mod. It looks awesome. I think I can make a tanker version of the Eagle that will stay balanced. (See post above)

I'd love to see a pic of your tanker.

Did someone say "eagle kethane tanker"? One of the first things I did,made this two days ago.

2MAXx.jpgRf8Qw.jpg

It has a very slight lean forward,very slight. a small tank adjustment would correct it but its so little it is not a bother. it handles as if it were just a regular Eagle,kinda. The vtols have a hard time slowing descent.

Love the eagle. small problem I have is that the legs fall off pretty easily.

Edited by Leon_Brooks

Did someone say "eagle kethane tanker"? One of the first things I did,made this two days ago.

2MAXx.jpgRf8Qw.jpg

It has a very slight lean forward,very slight. a small tank adjustment would correct it but its so little it is not a bother. it handles as if it were just a regular Eagle,kinda. The vtols have a hard time slowing descent.

Love the eagle. small problem I have is that the legs fall off pretty easily.

You've significantly increased the original design weight using a double fuselage and all of those extra parts.

The original parts has a strength of 50, you might want to increase that in the part.cfg file.

I'd suggest editing the LandingRCS_Starboard and Port part.cfg by changing:

breakingForce = 50

breakingTorque = 50

To a bit higher number. Perhaps between 75 and 100, to keep those legs attached.

Yeah in the show the gear compressed a bit when the Eagle landed. Not sure how I could make that work in game yet...

The gear can perfectly fit in the octagonal pod if need be though. Tested that in 3ds Max. I'm sure that is something they intended to do in the show but never did.

Not sure if I can add a hatch for Kerbals in a non command pod part. If I can, I'll try to add that in.

I have plans to make the cargo pod detachable and add the extra engines so the Eagle can fly without it. I'll probably wait for the .17 patch before I do that. I also have plans for a cockpit. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the link

Not sure it's really necessary to have the landing gear compress on landing, the terrain collision model on most things I've landed and walked on are imprecise enough that stuff sinks in anyway, when you're looking close enough to notice, and usually I'm not. You'd have to be looking really close to see the landing gear flex, and I'm not sure that's worth the time it would take to implement. Same goes for retractable gear, for me, not worth the effort unless it's really easy.

I thought about the exit hatch problem with it not being attached to the command pod. Not sure what could be done there. Unless there's some setting for where the exit is, does it have to be the edge of the model? If there is some coordinate setting (just thinking out loud) of where the exit is, seems you could set it anywhere you wanted in relation to the model itself. Then, you could have it exit at the cargo pod hatch. That would be nice if possible.

I did have a problem though, once I got a guy out of the hatch, I couldn't get him back in? There never popped up the "Grab" or "Board" prompts, the guy just floated away and the jet pack controls were all weird, I never could get back to the Eagle to get back in. Same goes when it's landed, the hatch is on top, and if you're walking around on the ground, there's no way to get to it. I only tried this on Kerbin itself, so the jet pack isn't strong enough to lift you off the ground to get back in. This also could be my clumsiness with EVA, still not used to it much yet.

Anyway, great work, it's been fun flying around in one of my favorite scifi space ships. Now, if someone could build the Cygnus from the Black Hole movie, that would be incredible. How big was that thing again? lol

The hatch has to intersect with the collision model of the Command Pod for it to work.

I've had some problems getting back in thru the hatch as well...I had to walk my Kerbal over is multiple times to get the "F" menu to come up. Not sure what the issue is.

I usually use the jet pack to fly up and get back in for now. But you're right, I need a better solution.

Oh, and the Cygnus was HUUUUGE. o.O Palomino is very do-able though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.