Space 1999 Eagle **Version 1.2 - .16, hatch & Kerbonaut Ready!**

RedSpar

Thanks for finding that. FIXED! :)

No problem. Don't know if you wanted to link to MechJeb twice but you have the name "MechJeb" linking to the old forums, and they you have HERE linking correctly now. I'm sure people would be able to figure out to use the second one, but just thought I'd let you know.

The ship is pretty fun to fly BTW. Great job!

The hatch has to intersect with the collision model of the Command Pod for it to work.

I've had some problems getting back in thru the hatch as well...I had to walk my Kerbal over is multiple times to get the "F" menu to come up. Not sure what the issue is.

I usually use the jet pack to fly up and get back in for now. But you're right, I need a better solution.

Oh, and the Cygnus was HUUUUGE. o.O Palomino is very do-able though.

Ah, too bad about the hatch problem. A ladder down the side would just be wrong. Only thing I can think of at this point, is to combine the cargo pod with the command pod, clunky and ugly. Or, just assign the cargo pod as the command pod, also clunky but not so ugly. KSP wasn't really meant for modular ship designs like that. To be able to swap out cargo pods, or have none at all, wouldn't work either that way, unless there were several versions of each part, with crew, without crew, etc. Not a pretty solution.

Yeah, the Cygnus is probably out of the question, the thing was a mile long or something.

If you can do the detachable cargo pod, will you add the nuclear fuel carrier and red striped pods?

Also would making the eagles a lot lighter make them more stable to fly?

Having fun playing with these, thanks again.

I've had a chance to do several test flights with the complete Eagle from the VAB and SPH and it is a very well designed craft. It flies well, it maneuvers well, and it handles extra parts easily. There are a few omissions and a couple of oddities that make it a bit less than the "superstar" it could be. But it's a great flying ship.

I think the hatch needs to be easily accessible. The current hatch is a real pain. There needs to be a place to put a ladder that doesn't protrude into the windows, or a ladder needs to be built in (like the stock pods). Maybe move the hatch to the side of the pod? Next it needs a bit more SAS, perhaps convert the ASAS to SAS (that's what I did with a part.cfg edit) since this mod requires mechjeb which is an ASAS, there is no need for another. The Eagle flies much better with additional SAS. This is a big issue, because using mechjeb eats RCS fuel. For some reason mechjeb abuses RCS and will use up all of the fuel quickly. With mechjeb SAS is the better way to control attitude.

I've tried the Eagle with wings and quite a few other different parts and it's a very versatile and flexible design. I think it may become a "must have" in my mods folder, it just needs a few small tweaks to fix EVA.

Nice work. :)

I think I have a solution to the hatch... Looks like I can put one in the cargo pod without having to do anything funky.

Also, working on a detachable cargo pod solution. :) Stayed tuned.

That would be really cool. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Now I just need to learn to fly better and stop crashing the things. Really wish there was a separate throttle for the VTOL and main engines, that would make normal in-atmosphere flight so much easier, having the VTOL engines at half or third power, whatever is needed to keep it in the air, and the main engines at full to keep forward flight. Since it has no flight surfaces, this is pretty much the only way it really could have flown.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.