Space 1999 Eagle **Version 1.2 - .16, hatch & Kerbonaut Ready!**

RedSpar

With everybody worrying about what\'s in the new 15 update, I will be happily performing my VTOL\'s with the Eagle,,Does it get any better than this? well does it ;),,Ooh 'lasers' on the Eagle. Yup it gets better ;D

Is it possible to get the MechJeb autolander to work with the Eagle VTOL engines? It will fire them but doesn\'t seem to orientate the craft correctly for their burn to have the desired effect.

If he rotated the Command Pod, then maybe it would. This would have the side-effect of putting the Eagle belly-down on the launchpad.

EDIT: Forgot to insert quote. :(

I have had the best experience hovering about and landing on the Mun with these MechJeb settings:

KILL ROT

VERT @ 0

Toggle main thrusters to move forward. At slow speeds fly it like a helicopter using roll to strafe. MechJeb will allow you to move the controls while maintaining control. To go up or down use the Translatron\'s VERT hold.

With VERT at your desired setting, you can accelerate and slow down by pitching the Eagle and letting MechJeb control the VTOLS. Obviously the more pitch you apply, the more thrust the VTOLs need and the more gets applied to slowing you down/speeding you up. From 200m/s or so you can slow quite rapidly with a pitch of 70 or 80 degrees and still have MechJeb keep you level, or in a slow descent, or whatever you want. You people bitching about MechJeb autoland disgust me. :P

Remember to treat it more like a Mi-26 Hind than a Robinson R-44.

Remember to treat it more like a Mi-26 Hind than a Robinson R-44.

Heh heh heh... Funny that you mention the good \'ol ????????.... I managed to fit on a pair of the PPCs from Yorik and a rack of Wasps from the C7 pack, and get it to the Mun.... now if only I could figure out a way to get the old Soviet camouflage pattern onto this without it looking like crap....

BTW, would it be possible to fit in a 'Functional' cargo bay? Something I could open and close and somewhere I could secrete away a satellite (or bomb) until I feel the need to launch (or explode) something?

BTW, would it be possible to fit in a 'Functional' cargo bay? Something I could open and close and somewhere I could secrete away a satellite (or bomb) until I feel the need to launch (or explode) something?

I know RedSpar has plans for different cargo bay options and I\'ve made suggestions on custom outfits and things, too. Balance is a problem when you start adding your own things. I found out just how much when I modified the Eagle only SLIGHTLY (copied the ASAS and made a MJ, put it infront of the ASAS and removed the MJ pod from the rear) and under even moderate thrust on the Mun it spun head over heels out of control :o

A plugin for attitude control will probably be required. I\'m doing my best to convince the people that can to help out ;)

I am however going to fool around with the VTOL engines from Nova\'s BACE 3 pack. They\'re supposed to be auto-levelling. :)

I know RedSpar has plans for different cargo bay options and I\'ve made suggestions on custom outfits and things, too. Balance is a problem when you start adding your own things. I found out just how much when I modified the Eagle only SLIGHTLY (copied the ASAS and made a MJ, put it infront of the ASAS and removed the MJ pod from the rear) and under even moderate thrust on the Mun it spun head over heels out of control :o

A plugin for attitude control will probably be required. I\'m doing my best to convince the people that can to help out ;)

I am however going to fool around with the VTOL engines from Nova\'s BACE 3 pack. They\'re supposed to be auto-levelling. :)

'supposed to be' and ' are' are two different things I\'ve found with those...They work up to a point.

still, they seem to work better than Mechjeb does with the VTOL engines.... I only trust MJ to bring me down to about 25 meters or so before taking manual control.

r4m0n has hinted he may add VTOL ability soon to MechJeb so I\'m going to wait and see if that pans out soon. As for functional or swap-able cargo pods, again I am going to wait for the next KSP update before I do anything as they are planning space planes and new functionality.

I definitely want to do different Eagle cargo configurations though, so stand by!

Honestly, after practicing for awhile flying the Eagle in vtol mode it isn\'t too tough. MechJeb would take all the fun out of it anyways! ;)

r4m0n has hinted he may add VTOL ability soon to MechJeb so I\'m going to wait and see if that pans out soon. As for functional or swap-able cargo pods, again I am going to wait for the next KSP update before I do anything as they are planning space planes and new functionality.

I definitely want to do different Eagle cargo configurations though, so stand by!

Honestly, after practicing for awhile flying the Eagle in vtol mode it isn\'t too tough. MechJeb would take all the fun out of it anyways! ;)

I suppose it would be easy with a joystick.... which I don\'t have :(

And I don\'t trust myself to not screw something up, so I use Mechjeb

• 2 weeks later...

Eagles back up to the flight line!

5/18/12

1.1 Patch

- Made Eagle KSP .15 compatible

- Eagle_SPH.craft file (prebuilt Eagle) made for horizontal launch from the Space Plane Hangar

- Fixed VTOL thrust being displayed to close to hull

- Fixed landing pads sinking in ground when landed (Doesn\'t seem to work on the runway)

How does this thing handle horizontal landings in MechJeb? Or does MechJeb compensate for the VTOL engine hen attempting to land?

Must horizontal landings be done manually?

I just downloaded and found I can\'t load Eagle 1, it brings up a error message saying RCS block2 is missing. The Eagle SPH loads fine. Any ideas?

One of Silisko\'s parts slipped in there by accident. Sorry about that. Anyway, all fixed. You can re-download the mod and you won\'t get the error message anymore.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.