Interested in a KSP Documentary?

Highlad

Would you support a KSP Documentary  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a KSP Documentary

• Yes - and I would contribute to any crowdfunding!
    • Yeah, but I don't want to give you my hard earned kash
    • Nah, not really my type of thing
    • I really don't care either way

Hey folks!

My name is Luke and I’m a filmmaker… So I’m studying filmmaking, I’m in my last year and with that comes the lovely situation of my final project. Personally, I would like to create a documentary, and with my overpowering love for KSP, I’m considering KSP as the focus for this documentary. Obviously if I were to go ahead with this I would want to do the best job possible, hopefully getting interviews with the developers, players, the media team and so on. It would cover the early days of KSP all the way through to whats going on now and the hopes for its future. (Please note that this isn't everything that would go into the documentary, Its just what i can think of right now)

As you can imagine, I don’t want to devote a year of work to this project if nobody is really interested, so I’d like to know if you guys would be interested in a documentary of this nature!

You might have noticed that the poll at the top mentions moneyz. Obviously if I’m going to be filming this & going off to interviews with a crew etc., money is going to need to come from somewhere. I’m going to put in a large portion of it myself (its my project and I feel obligated) but that almost certainly wont be enough. To solve this issue I’m considering turning to a crowd funding platform. This would allow you guys to get behind the project while also getting some goodies in return. So please say if you would be up for backing this kind of thing!

Please give me your thoughts on this matter! (It actually matters to me)

A music video my cameraman worked on. He will be the cinematographer for this project (so you can expect the cinematography to be as good, if not better than this)

A short documentary on the Scottish independence referendum. I had a different guy working the camera on this one. I produced this and put together a wee team to walk the streets of Glasgow and ask questions with me.

This one is a music video I directed, edited and did all the motion graphics etc. I will never be using this camera guy again... he was pretty much the worst guy I could have picked. Because of this, all the live action stuff looks like crap. Please ignore that. :)

The rest of the videos are short (and I mean really short) VFX clips that I put together.

You can also check out my youtube channel (link in signature), but most of it is just KSP lets play stuff, so only a few thing are relevant to this project.

--UPDATE--

From what I'm seeing, most of you guys would like to see this documentary, but only some would want to back a crowd funding campaign. If you would support a crowd funding campaign, what would you like to see as part of the documentary? Are there any areas of KSP, its development and its influence that you have a special urge to learn about? And what sort of things would you like to see as perks for your support? (Besides credit and a copy of the documentary)

Edited by Highlad

We haven't seen anything that you have filmed before so how could we make a decision? I understand that you would include more information on a kickstarter page or whatever, but it wouldn't hurt to have a link to something you have already done in your thread for us here to see.

We haven't seen anything that you have filmed before so how could we make a decision? I understand that you would include more information on a kickstarter page or whatever, but it wouldn't hurt to have a link to something you have already done in your thread for us here to see.

You have a good point! I shall collect some of my previous work and that of the guys i will be working with and add it to the first post :D

I vote Other: I think it's a smashing idea, and will promote your work however I can, but I'm poor, and unable to contribute. That first clause is especially true if you can break through the Squad PR barrier, and offer up something other than the stock answers they give to all interview questions.

On my phone so can't vote, but I'd like to see some of your work as well. If this can be done right and get some inside interviews I could definitely get behind that. Maybe a follow up would be in order after completion.

I'm not sure a documentary would really be a good idea for Kerbal Space Program as it currently is, considering that it's still an early-access game. If it became as popular as Minecraft, then I could see a documentary being made about it, but I don't really think documentaries are a good idea for games in general.

I mean, there's not even a Minecraft documentary that I know about!

Hey folks!

My name is Luke and I’m a filmmaker… So I’m studying filmmaking

Huh... does a medical student learning to be a doctor call himself a doctor? Or is he a doctor once he finishes his studying?

Haha, I'm just buggin! Sounds awesome, and something I would watch!

Huh... does a medical student learning to be a doctor call himself a doctor? Or is he a doctor once he finishes his studying?

Haha, I'm just buggin! Sounds awesome, and something I would watch!

Cheers man. :D Originally I had something else in there, it made more sense but a mod took it out, so now it sounds weird! XD

It sounds interesting.

I would suggest however that this might be a project that takes more than a year to complete. I say this from the point-of-view of envisioning you doing essentially a behind-the-scenes type documentary, covering the development process of KSP through to the 'release' version.

There could well be an interesting story here for you to tell if you were to stay the course with it.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing a documentary on the subject. Like regex said, though, it would need to be an impartial look at the game and its development for it to be interesting - fanservice is great and all, but not what I would pay money to see. What I'm very interested in is the way that the game has influenced learning about physics and orbital mechanics (with some focus on KerbalEdu). I would also be interested in hearing about the interactions with NASA, and what influence on general space awareness that game may have.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing a documentary on the subject. Like regex said, though, it would need to be an impartial look at the game and its development for it to be interesting - fan service is great and all, but not what I would pay money to see. What I'm very interested in is the way that the game has influenced learning about physics and orbital mechanics (with some focus on KerbalEdu). I would also be interested in hearing about the interactions with NASA, and what influence on general space awareness that game may have.

I don't want to make a fan service video. I think that an impartial look at KSP and its inspirations, development and effects is the only good way to make this an interesting and honest documentary. I love the idea of not only looking at the development of KSP but also examining the impact it has had (whether that be an increased awareness of all things spacey or something else). I think the effects of the game are just as important, if not more so than the game itself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.