Can't get to Space Center, can't exit game

I've had this problem through multiple installs, multiple versions, and multiple mod installs. It doesn't seem related to a specific mod and looking at the console doesn't seem to show anything. It happens several times per play session and the only recovery is to force quit the game and reload, often this means losing progress. Here's the description:

At some times during the game as I'm switching between vessels or trying to get back to launch the next vessel the game will refuse to return to the space center. Some times this manifests and I can't switch to other vessels, going to map view shows no other vessels. Sometimes I can still switch vessels (using map view or Haystack) and the only thing I can't do is switch to the KSC.

skitch.png?resizeSmall&width=400

This issue is somehow caused by docking or undocking, possibly when a lot of physics lag is present. I only ever get it when I'm docking with my station, but I do get it a lot. It is beyond infuriating.

What mods do you have installed?

Edited by Alshain

Weird, I thought I attached it to the OP

I'm running several:

Mechjeb

Haystack

Interstellar Lite

B9

KW

KAS

FAR

Active Texture Management

Kerbal Engineer (for when I don't need all the power of MJ)

Some other parts packs that aren't always present on the ships having the issues

TacFuel

and several others that seem like they shouldn't have anything to do with this

I have found that when this happens if I go to the tracking station on initial load, then look at the vessel list, including debris there will be several unnamed object. Terminating/Recovering those objects restores game menu functions.

I have found that when this happens if I go to the tracking station on initial load, then look at the vessel list, including debris there will be several unnamed object. Terminating/Recovering those objects restores game menu functions.

That is an even worse problem. I've had that occur too but in that case the save will be entirely non-functional until you remove those objects. In this case, you just can't get back to the space center because the buttons don't work. Restarting the game fixes the problem temporarily until it occurs again.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also getting this error.. Cant switch between vessels or exit to space center/exit the game.. Pretty discouraging, have a youtube series based on this save/install with a heap of mods and would really like to solve this issue.

This is the error I get in the output log whenever I try to switch/leave a craft:

[Exception]: InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

[FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Comm Sat 3 ----------------------

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[urlConfig] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[urlConfig] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TweakScale.TweakScale.get_PartNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TweakScale.TweakScale.get_moduleNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TweakScale.TweakScale.Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TweakScale.TweakScale.GetModuleCost () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.GetModuleCosts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ProtoPartSnapshot..ctor (.Part PartRef, .ProtoVessel protoVessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ProtoVessel..ctor (.Vessel VesselRef) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.BackupVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightState..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Game.Updated () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightGlobals.setActiveVessel (.Vessel v, Boolean force) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightGlobals.SetActiveVessel (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at VesselSwitching.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have encountered this same bug in the recent 0.25 release. I do not have the time mod installed. I cannot load to the space center, but the only keys that work appear to be the switch to local vessel keys. However, the only things I can switch to are debris, I cannot switch to another controllable vessel, nor can the vessel I am controlling (if I do not switch) have thrusters turned on or any action performed on it. I solution to this problem would be nice as the only way to get out of this I have found is to kill the game.

My log shows the following exception which appears to repeat, but there is no timestamp to indicate whether this is happening at the same time as the problem:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at Clouds.Clouds.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

I just experienced this bug. Managed to temporarily get control back by right clicking and undocking, but I still couldn't get to the space center. I had to alt-f4 to quit. Being unable to quit the game from the space view seems a poor design choice, that this bug highlights.

It occurred when I docked a large ship to a very small ship, but neither was particularly huge. The whole thing probably wasn't more than a hundred parts.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may be related. What bugs me is that I did not install any mods lately. Everything was pretty stable and then started crumbling.

Anyway, first detectable bug in a timeline of savegames is being unable to exit to space center.

KSP.log throws this as I press button in the menu

[LOG 19:14:01.109] Flight State Captured

[LOG 19:14:01.113] Saving Achievements Tree...

[LOG 19:14:01.114] Saving Achievements Tree...

[LOG 19:14:01.115] Saving Achievements Tree...

[LOG 19:14:01.115] Saving Achievements Tree...

[LOG 19:14:01.116] Saving Achievements Tree...

[LOG 19:14:01.117] Saving Achievements Tree...

[WRN 19:14:01.389] [EFX] EvaSettings.SaveEva(kerbalEVA (Fereny Kerman))

[WRN 19:14:01.390] [EFX] EvaSettings.SaveEva(kerbalEVA)

[LOG 19:14:01.793] Game State Saved as persistent

[WRN 19:14:01.794] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From FLIGHT to SPACECENTER (Async) =====================

[EXC 19:14:01.796] NullReferenceException

ContractsApp.HideTemp ()

ApplicationLauncher.Hide ()

ApplicationLauncher.OnSceneLoadRequested (GameScenes scene)

EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)

HighLogic.LoadScene (GameScenes scene)

PauseMenu.saveAndExit (GameScenes sceneToLoad, .Game stateToSave)

PauseMenu.draw (Int32 id)

UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)

UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

I can then unpause and walk around (im on Mun surface), I can switch between vessel and kerbals, but if I bring up map there's no orbits drawn and no vessels, so I can't switch anywhere else but within my local bubble. RemoteTech lines and KerbinSide launchpads are drawn on map, however.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. cant exit to space center or end game, cant change vessels and seems like quicksave is not working. Very annoying because i am trying to manyally dock with the second ship anò cant really do it bacause i have to take control over 2nd ship.

I believe I'm having the same issue, although I'm too early in my career to have been to the mun or attempted docking as others have mentioned. Last night my game was fine. Today after launching the game and loading KSC it won't allow me to click on several buildings (all the fun ones) can't get to VAB, SPH, launch pad or run way. I can get to mission control, R&D and Astronaut complex.

I went to misson control and accepted a new contract. Hit the back button to return to KSC and nothing happens, page remains on Mission Control, but the menu overlays change.

http://i.imgur.com/xhO2PFW.jpg

Look at top left the back button now has other buttons overlapping it. I can hit esc, but even quit to main menu doesn't do anything, all buttons don't do anything at this point, its as if they don't exist anymore.

I had MechJeb and DMP installed (although I am in single player) deleted MJ after a few restarts didn't solve the problem. Now I'm out of ideas.

• 1 month later...

I had that bug tonight as well. It took my well over an hour to figure out. After looking at my craft carefully I noticed that a part (antenna) wasn't functional and was clipping into my craft.

I relaunched the game for the 10th time, turned on debris in the tracking station and terminated all debris around the prod. There were 2 debris one was the antenna I don't know what the other one was. After terminating the debris the antenna wasn't clipping into the craft anymore and I was able to switch to it and return to the space center :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.