What's the secret feature?

SQUAD

Ok, my apologies in advance for being a bit of a downer here about the exploding buildings, but there's a question I feel needs to be asked:

Why?

What does it actually bring to gameplay? Maybe I'm missing something, but it really seems to just be a gimmick that probably took a huge development effort to make happen.

So anyone know why Squad did this? It's cool and all, but it seems like the kind of thing you do a few times for kicks and then largely forget about. I'm just not seeing how that justifies the effort it probably took.

I suspect that we will soon be charged for building damage. :P (I even remember seeing that in the planned features list since 2012.)

It was confirmed during the cast. He said they are incredibly expensive to repair, too.

regex, sorry to disagree, but I, for one, like this feature.

Maybe you won't encounter it (and probably I won't either), but I welcome any feature that makes my choices matter. I don't plan to crash into the KSC very often (never, actually), but I am very happy to see that now my choices have a deeper impact on the story.

Just that: there are more pressing features, but this makes my flying matter more.

Just that: there are more pressing features, but this makes my flying matter more.

It really doesn't, though. And you're right, I'll likely never encounter it unless I'm very deliberate about it because I don't play with the stock aerodynamics, which means I fly a proper ascent path and my boosters will never land anywhere near KSC. But anyway, I'm more looking forward to what this apparently laid the groundwork for because I'm not really seeing it in some pretty explosions.

Nope, cannot see any reason for being able to destroy your own spaceport. Seems a bit unnecessary to me.

Maybe in future we will be able to make larger VAB? Or build bases in different places, planets, on asteroids and they won't be loading to physics engine, so less laggs, but still docking there will be challange?

And one more thing, we will have to make rockets more like real life... because if you drop boosters before gravity turn you are going to destroy pad :)

But anyway, I'm more looking forward to what this apparently laid the groundwork for because I'm not really seeing it in some pretty explosions.

Way I see it is that there now is a way to replace KSC buildings with another model while playing an animation and that the destruction is just eye-candy to give the players something for now. Didn't they say that they secret feature is the groundwork for something greater?

What is now used for the possibility to destroy buildings could probably also be used for upgrading buildings.

Ok, my apologies in advance for being a bit of a downer here about the exploding buildings, but there's a question I feel needs to be asked:

Why?

What does it actually bring to gameplay? Maybe I'm missing something, but it really seems to just be a gimmick that probably took a huge development effort to make happen.

So anyone know why Squad did this? It's cool and all, but it seems like the kind of thing you do a few times for kicks and then largely forget about. I'm just not seeing how that justifies the effort it probably took.

It's a small, but fun feature that lays the groundwork for something coming in 0.26. This was just a tiny piece of a bigger pie, so to speak. If you get tired of it or don't like it at all, it can be turned off. I do think that there's a fair lot that will find challenging uses for it, for sure.

On the first glance this feature looks unneccessary, but fun to a certain level. You use to drop additional tanks during lifting payload? Take care where you hit the space bar, or your VAB might be gone, on your return....

But take a second view on that. What does it mean? It means bilateral reaction between vessel and environment. Not only your vessel can be damaged, but the environment too.

And that opens up a lot of developement opportunities. Impact craters. Landing marks. Rover trails. Foot steps. Dust clouds from landing enginges. The code behind "destrucible KSC" is in fact a feature that might open the way to a new level of game feeling.

I am looking forward, what SQUAD will end up with here.

It's a small, but fun feature that lays the groundwork for something coming in 0.26. This was just a tiny piece of a bigger pie, so to speak. If you get tired of it or don't like it at all, it can be turned off. I do think that there's a fair lot that will find challenging uses for it, for sure.

Ah, fair enough if it's leading up to something else.

If that something else is upgradeable facilities, then I can definitely get behind that :)

One thing this is going to very certainly impact in a big way, is iron-kerbal playthroughs. If you play without being able to revert or quickload, every mishap on the launchpad, or especially the runway, will cost you a pretty penny. I've lost count of how many times I've had to reload SSTO spaceplane launches because some part or other suddenly gave out and the whole thing ended up smearing itself into a flaming streak along the runway.

Why?

This has always been something that they said they wanted to happen. The space center could get damaged and you'd have to spend money to rebuild. Only there was no money. Well in 0.24 they introduced money. So it's only logical that the next version they would go ahead and put in the thing they wanted that you'd need the money for.

this wouldent be the construction of buildings would it? i am guessing being able to destroy buildings will require us to rebuild them. that is a small step away from buildable moon bases and expandable KSC facilities. omg, i just made myself shudder with excitement. if you guys dont do this a modder shure will.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.