What's the secret feature?

SQUAD

I kinda suspected that there were leading to a "build your KSC" segment when they remodeled the KSC with all the fancy hexagonal interlocking pieces. Would be interesting if you were unable to launch a rocket of a certain weight until you trench and build a catwalk for the crawler to pull it along. OTOH, I wish there were other avenues they would have stuck to instead of scrapping them. I'll be happier when they go Beta and we start getting lots of new parts and tweaks.

I almost forgot about this feature. It was announced such a long time ago (several years, iirc), I was honestly surprised to see this now.

At least currently it makes little to no sense. It could work as an incentive to avoid decoupling your first stage directly over your KSC. NASA also needs to incline their path early on when launching from Kennedy Space Center, so that possible crashes will land in the ocean, and not annihilate the space center.

Currently this is not an issue in KSP, because debris gets deleted quite early, the chances of it actually reaching the ground is next to zero.

Well, let's see how this turns out.

Considering how new feature since 0.23 has been added, I is likely possible the destructed buildings will be either still 100% working or we'll not being able to repair them at all !

Better to have spent time on editor improvements, memory management or using layers for windows :huh:.

Edited by Justin Kerbice

Based on the speculation I read it seemed like the secret feature would have been destructible terrain, rather than buildings. That would be something that far more people would see and apply to all the land across all the planets. Also would have fit in with the description that experienced players would probably never see the feature.

To the people that didn't make it to the live stream, can someone post pics of the buildings being taken out?
Javascript is disabled. View full album

http://www.twitch.tv/ksptv/c/5189717 (skip to 2.00 for the reveal and to 7.40 for the total KSC destruction)

The VAB collapse is amazing.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed. Gas Planet 2 with a set of awesome moons would've been worthy of such secrecy and hype. Exploding buildings don't add much in terms of gameplay. Unless you accidently set off a Kessler bomb on the launchpad or you're extremely bad at landing a spaceplane.

This seems really out of place in KSP. You're doing space exploration, so it makes sense for space parts to explode and be destructible, but buildings. You only have a handful of buildings in the game and all of them are being used, so if you destroy one, doesn't this break the game and prevent us from using the building again? Now if the asteroids actually posed a threat to the planet and they created massive craters that stayed on the planet throughout your play, that would add more to the game. You would have a reason to go out and try to divert the course of one.

Exploding buildings don't add much in terms of gameplay.

You're absolutely correct. But, the code behind it opens up a LOT of opportunities. If you can rebuild them, you can build them, possibly bigger and better i.e. upgradeable. Maybe even in other places. And to be fair, Squad did say it was a fun little thing, it was the community that hyped it up.

EDIT:

You only have a handful of buildings in the game and all of them are being used, so if you destroy one, doesn't this break the game and prevent us from using the building again?

It was stated in the stream that you can rebuild them at a cost. If you destroy the VAB/SPH, you can use the admin building to swap out some rep or science for money so you can rebuild them. Then build stuff to gain rep/science back and don't destroy the building again.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

This seems really out of place in KSP. You're doing space exploration, so it makes sense for space parts to explode and be destructible, but buildings. You only have a handful of buildings in the game and all of them are being used, so if you destroy one, doesn't this break the game and prevent us from using the building again? Now if the asteroids actually posed a threat to the planet and they created massive craters that stayed on the planet throughout your play, that would add more to the game. You would have a reason to go out and try to divert the course of one.

You know they can rebuild them, right? And-

Wait a second, they said this feature was directly related to the .26 feature.

Ooooooooh.

[Takei]Oooh Myy.[/Takei]

It was stated in the stream that you can rebuild them at a cost. If you destroy the VAB/SPH, you can use the admin building to swap out some rep or science for money so you can rebuild them. Then build stuff to gain rep/science back and don't destroy the building again.

Very well, but I still stand by the rest of my statement.

Very well, but I still stand by the rest of my statement.

In anycase they have stated that this is just a silly little byproduct of a major feature for 0.26.

Sort of like if they made it so that parts have proper density values for their value and weight is calculated off of volume instead of an arbitary number, meaning metal grinders now sink like, well, metal grinders. And to show this off they tell us about a balloon that they are adding (party balloon) without elaborating too much as a tease.

All I'm saying is that we don't yet know how this impacts the game as a whole.

It does seem like a logical thing to have to me. I've often watched as boosters and stages fall back down towards the launch pad and wondered what kind of damage it could do if there was such a feature.

Plus, it's more explosions. How can that be a bad thing?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.