Lets put Kerbals in Space...For Real

Weebo

Put Kerbals in Space?!  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Put Kerbals in Space?!

• Can I get a Hell yea?!
    • Can I get an Amen?!
    • Can I get a Hell yea Amen?!
    • Well erm, no. "If you choose this, Then Mechjeb is Piloting, Not you... :'(

:D

To begin:

I want to start a kickstarter to put Kerbals in Space. For real, but on a Small cube satellite, Therein I'd like the best pilots of Kerbal-kind, JEB, BILL, and BOB attached to it. With solar-panels and radio broadcast to: A.) Broadcast distance from other space fairing objects to eliminate risk of space debris collision, Specifically to have a range of 100 miles to let the "Receiver" now when something is in range . "A sort of way to start plotting orbiting objects so we don't have to wonder where they are, at least to insure that our little satellite doesn't eventually become a risk to anything else that might go or up or down". and B.) Have the guys on the Dev Team's Names, and the most impact-ful modders names through community vote, engraved on the frame, who brought us this great game that, as I feel has inspired so many to pursue Science related career fields.

Also, If we actually get this Kickstarter going, I'd like it to have a Camera viewing the Three Best and Brightest Kerbal Pilots with the earth as a Backdrop that could be streamed anywhere, Live. Now tell me that wouldn't be cool as all hell to see Bill, Bob and Jebediah cruising for real in space with earth behind them.

So I give you this Poll: Can we do this?!?!?

Edit; All funds from kickstarter that are left over from this project will be contributed directly to squad for development of Kerbal Space Program or Development of their needs, cost of living, cost of employment ect, ect.

Finally:

In no part, am I willing to make any financial gain from this, and in so, if this project gets funded, Squad will gain full control of said Kickstarter, Financial Pledges, and connections made. If only they promise to put Kerbals in Space >:)

Anything else afterthat, I'm Kosher.

Lets put Kerbals in Space! For real this time.

Edited by Weebo

I'm all for bold projects but seriously guys.

These cubesats are not a good thing.

The last thing we need is more tiny objects in orbit. It really will become a serious

Problem for future space missions.

I don't mean to sound rude. I've just been reading an article about the growing

Problem of space debris.

Edited by Majorjim

Actual space = $$$$$

Low earth above 99% of the atmosphere = cheap and reasonably easy.

All you need is a very good atmospheric balloon, a couple of go pros, a GPS receiver, a location more than 100 miles from large bodies of water, and one kerbal figure and you are set. You can hit 15 miles up pretty easy which is above the coloured Ali with nothing but blackness and the curvature of the earth in sight.

Total cost probably $1,000 but most of that (go pros, GPS, etc) you would recover.

Post your results on here, epic.

Actual space = $$$$$

All you need is a very good atmospheric balloon, a couple of go pros, a GPS receiver, a location more than 100 miles from large bodies of water, and one kerbal figure and you are set. You can hit 15 miles up pretty easy which is above the coloured Ali with nothing but blackness and the curvature of the earth in sight.

Total cost probably $1,000 but most of that (go pros, GPS, etc) you would recover.

This.

10 char

The last thing we need is more tiny objects in orbit. It really will become a serious

Problem of space debris.

No, it really wouldn't. Avoid the tiny satellite somewhere in low earth orbit thankfully marked by the people paid to handle that crap. So hard. So world destroying.

Actual space = $$$$$

Yes this is a better idea. First person to put a shapeways kerbal figure on a weather balloon with a

Camera at 100'000 feet gets mega MEGA respect.

No, it really wouldn't. Avoid the tiny satellite somewhere in low earth orbit thankfully marked by the people paid to handle that crap. So hard. So world destroying.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Your sentences are fractured and unclear.

If you have a valid point to make, please make it clear.

Thank you.

Edited by Majorjim

Actual space = $$$$$

what if you went up 24 miles in a weather balloon and then from there used a small hydrogen peroxide rocket? How close could you get to space then?

The hardest part of all that is getting a functioning, long range, radar or lidar system and steering thrusters into a cubesat sized thing.

Object detection is far, far, far harder than anybody gives it credit for being.

While I love the idea of a kerbal or three in space, I recommend some research on what you're proposing.

EDIT:

For the balloon+rocket question, you could simulate it in KSP.

Build a rocket with a small peroxide rocket's DV. Let's be really, really generous and give it 500DV.

Build a booster to get it to ~15000 meters and reach 20000 meters at 0 velocity, you won't have much upward velocity from a balloon.

Light the "peroxide rocket" and see where you end up.

Edited by Bobnova

Petition NASA to print a Kerbal on the ISS with their new zero-g 3D printer
this would be a great idea

And I just sent that suggestion to NASA at: [email protected]. Body of the email I sent:

"I know that Nasa is familiar with the space program simulator “Kerbal Space Program.†The KSP community would be thrilled if a Kerbal could be printed on the ISS using the just-delivered zero-g 3D printer. It would be the easiest and cheapest way to get a Kerbal model into space. I hope this would be considered. Thank you."

Edited by StrandedonEarth

The hardest part of all that is getting a functioning, long range, radar or lidar system and steering thrusters into a cubesat sized thing.

Object detection is far, far, far harder than anybody gives it credit for being.

While I love the idea of a kerbal or three in space, I recommend some research on what you're proposing.

EDIT:

For the balloon+rocket question, you could simulate it in KSP.

Build a rocket with a small peroxide rocket's DV. Let's be really, really generous and give it 500DV.

Build a booster to get it to ~15000 meters and reach 20000 meters at 0 velocity, you won't have much upward velocity from a balloon.

Light the "peroxide rocket" and see where you end up.

I think the question is, would the balloon or the booster cost more?

I suspect the balloon would be far cheaper.

The whole point of starting at 23 miles up is that you are already 37% of the way into space but of course with a measly 297.11DV from the peroxide rocket, your 15 pound payload(estimate) would only get 25.8333 miles up(this doesn't include drag losses)

I am by the way basing this DV number off the specs of a hydrogen peroxide rocket that someone posted on the internet, unfortunately i only have a paper copy or i would give you the link, if you want though i could manually copy the numbers

I don't know if you're intending to, but you're proving my point nicely.

Lifting a small rocket with a balloon just doesn't help much over the balloon alone.

The booster is a balloon simulation in KSP, which doesn't have balloons to use.

But yeah, even starting from 23 miles up you need a lot of rocket to get to space.

A decent bit less than from ground level, but still a lot. More than is easily liftable with a balloon for that matter.

I don't know if you're intending to, but you're proving my point nicely.

Lifting a small rocket with a balloon just doesn't help much over the balloon alone.

The booster is a balloon simulation in KSP, which doesn't have balloons to use.

But yeah, even starting from 23 miles up you need a lot of rocket to get to space.

A decent bit less than from ground level, but still a lot. More than is easily liftable with a balloon for that matter.

there is hooligan lab balloon mod but yeah in stock ksp there is no balloon.

I wasn't necessarily trying to prove or disprove your point, i was just trying to see how far you could actually get using the rocket and balloon, but yes i think my math did prove you correct.

anyway i think the only cheap, possible way to get kerbals into space would be to petition

NASA

I Don't mean to be mean (lol) but there are not one, not two, but three thread like this created before, one mine!

These two had the excact same idea as you

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94659-Jeb-s-Not-That-Explosive-Flight-%28Jeb-Zeppelin%29

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86276-Project-sending-a-Jeb-figurine-into-stratosphere

and everyone knows this...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86010-KSP-Community-CubeSat/page125

Just letting you know...

Problem of space debris.

I'm pretty sure CubeSats are designed to burn up in the atmosphere, due to their low orbit. Orbital debris is only a problem in the higher orbits, where natural decay would take years or decades for a satellite to deorbit and no longer be a possible creator of additional space debris. The only thing in the orbits of CubeSats are a few other CubeSats and since they all deorbit within weeks, months or maybe a year there's no siginificant space debris problem there.

And I just sent that suggestion to NASA at: [email protected]. Body of the email I sent:

"I know that Nasa is familiar with the space program simulator “Kerbal Space Program.†The KSP community would be thrilled if a Kerbal could be printed on the ISS using the just-delivered zero-g 3D printer. It would be the easiest and cheapest way to get a Kerbal model into space. I hope this would be considered. Thank you."

Hmmm. Maybe an 'open letter' style of email where we post a support poll or something to show them our community support? I wouldn't wish to spam their inbox with a lot of individual requests.

It would be the ultimate piece of cool to the community as well as the ultimate piece of advertising for Squad as well, even trumping the ARM collaboration as it would be more visible to those outside of the KSP community.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.