video tutorials

• 2 weeks later...

not sure what you mean here.

if you only modified placement of props in an existing IVA, there's no need to verify alignment.

if you are creating an IVA for an existing Part, use the old IVA as reference for your alignment (import the old IVA from the Part through Parttools)

if you are creating a new Part with IVA, then check this section in the video http://youtu.be/ux_9tO6PShA?t=37m30s

I just wanted to take a second to say thank you for making the IVA tutorials. That's a lot of effort invested on your part and it's fantastic. I had read the old tutorial and a couple of posts describing IVA making and had just sort of decided that I 'didn't get it' and that was that. But I got snowed in and watched your videos this weekend and I have a working IVA to show for it. Thank you so much!

Art

Glad to hear! I noticed you had some props from ALCOR in your screenshots. you wanna consider making separate Internal config using non-mod props, then using MM to configure the part to use the appropriate internal based on the Mods available.

https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/wiki/Making-an-IVA-that-works-both-with-and-without-RasterPropMonitor

apropos your IVA, you'd make one that :NEEDS[ASETProps] (or something to that effect, I'm not sure how Alexustas has the props organized)

and maybe another one that :NEEDS[RasterPropMonitor] for an IVA that has MFDs and RPM functionalities; but not using ASETProps

and a third using only stock, plus your own props if you included them.

That's great advice. I'm slowly working at building my own props to try to clear the dependency on Alcor... both to learn it and to make something uniquely mine.

I hadn't given much thought to building a version that doesn't depend on RPM though, as I sort of figured that anyone who plays the game from IVA almost certainly has it installed... but you're right, it's not that much work to do and it would make the IVA load properly with SOMETHING there if those without RPM switch in. :) And I appreciate the example - I haven't had to put together a MM script yet, so that helps a lot!

Art

• 5 months later...

sorry, I might have overlooked that part... it's just second nature when working in Unity.

Remember Unity is all about Components and GameObjects. Everything in Unity starts as a GameObject, holding only basic 3d information: Position, Rotation, and Scale. You add "Components" to give the GameObject different properties and behaviours.

GameObject + Light component = Light

GameObject + Camera component = game camera

GameObject + Collider + Rigid Body = object subject to in-game physics

GameObject + Mesh Filter + Mesh Renderer = 3d object that is visible in game

etc etc etc.

When a tutorial talks about something like thrustTransform; or RCSThruster; they mean a GameObject with a specific name.

KSP's PartModule system works very similarly. A part can look like anything, based on the MU and texture assigned in the part config file. And behave like anything within in the scope of the game, based on Part Modules attached to it in the part config file, and that the Part Modules are provided appropriate GameObjects to work with; for instance a thrustTransform is necessary for Engine module to generate force. An antenna can behave as an Engine if you so desire; an Engine can work as a Wing surface; etc.

PartModules are configured by parameters inside the Module. An extensive list of stock/mod part modules are described in detail here http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Module#STOCK_MODULES

most parameters have default values and a PartModule will function without all the parameters being specified in the part config file. Some PartModules require specialized parameters and GameObjects, like Engine Module or Landing Leg/Gear Modules.

now apropos the EngineModules

thrustVectorTransformName = specifies the GameObject within the engine MU file the PartModule should use as thrust point. By standard convention this GameObject is named "thrustTransform", but it is not necessary. It can be named GameObject, PooFighter, 24faw4ywg, etc As long as the engine MU file contains the named GameObject matches (case sensitive, no spaces or periods) what is specified in the EngineModule's thrustVectorTransformName value, the engine will work.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.