[1.7.3] Exploration Rover System by A.S.E.T. v0.3 (04.08.19)

alexustas

Lo-fi is absolutely right. JSIPartUtilities just changes the look of the wheels suspention and toggles nodes in the VAB - that’s why it cannot be the reason of that bug. It’s the Firesplitter Core who is in charge of the wheels operation.

I use Firesplitter Core from the CKAN and JSIPartUtilities.dll from the first post and everything works fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I might be. Here's an album of me creating pretty much the simplest driveable ESR.

http://imgur.com/a/V7DIw

Back in my South Pole Challenge ESR in 0.90 (https://imgur.com/a/HAfdB?gallery), I didn't have this issue; however, I did have the double overlapping wheel issue, which was less of a problem.

Actually according to your last picture it looks like you just mounted the wheels with the 90 degrees angle (so they now touch the ground with the front part of the wheel, not the bottom one as they usually should) =)

- - - Updated - - -

For some reason the wheel's are not showing me the full tweak menu in the VAB. It only shows "change suspension" and "change tread".

If you have only "toggle suspension" and "toggle tire" in your RáM that means that you forgot to install Firesplitter Core.

- - - Updated - - -

Please post a Pic Movado sounds like and don't mean this in a bad way but sounds like you put it together wrong.

EDIT- I can build the rover no problem drive it around no problem but there must be alot of bugs in PartUtilities this is what happens when you deploy the ladder or wheels

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/UFO/screenshot2.png

This bug is because of the incorrect work of the "TransparentPod†module of the RPM plugin. I warned about it in the first post and readme. Please do not install “ERS_Transparent_Cabin_Enabler.cfg" until the problem will be solved.

I put one under the Endurance lander. It a tad too big (in fact its the opposite, the lander is too small). Its the best way I found to deliver the ASET rover to other planet.

Here’s some examples of delivering systems for the ERS rover to the planets with or without atmosphere.

zIAOnzY.png

cIVujRS.png

4d6RQOY.png

The dual wheel attachment points will be JSIpartUtilities not working correctly. The left and right handed suspension variants are both modelled into the part, and JSI simply hides one or the other depending on how you set the wheel up. I bet it's broken in 1.0, and may not have been fixed yet in Mihara's absence.

The "Audio Described" sounds are just comical! It's like 1980's Batman. With Kerbals...

Glad you're dabbling again, Alex :)

So, upon further investigation into what those Batman style audio texts are has revealed that they are likely, in reality (so to speak...) RPM texts being warped out of proportion and sticking out from the transparent pod internals. It's rather disturbing now, rather than comical.

Actually according to your last picture it looks like you just mounted the wheels with the 90 degrees angle (so they now touch the ground with the front part of the wheel, not the bottom one as they usually should) =)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the 90 degrees angle.

Perhaps a simpler demonstration will show the problem. I've created a shorter gallery showing the problem (http://imgur.com/a/0W0JP). I start with an ERS Cabin part, add an ERS crew module and a ERS Service Module on the end. I then click on the ERS Cabin part and click once on Wheel Nodes. I then select an ERS wheel and drag it on the node on the ERS Cabin without modifying the wheel, rotating it or selecting any option in its menu. Just straight drag and drop.

When I launch this one-wheeled test vehicle, the wheel once again buries itself into the ground.

I'm using the JSIPartsUtilities.dll downloaded from the link on the front page of this thread and the lastest Firespitter core.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the 90 degrees angle.

Perhaps a simpler demonstration will show the problem. I've created a shorter gallery showing the problem (http://imgur.com/a/0W0JP). I start with an ERS Cabin part, add an ERS crew module and a ERS Service Module on the end. I then click on the ERS Cabin part and click once on Wheel Nodes. I then select an ERS wheel and drag it on the node on the ERS Cabin without modifying the wheel, rotating it or selecting any option in its menu. Just straight drag and drop.

When I launch this one-wheeled test vehicle, the wheel once again buries itself into the ground.

I'm using the JSIPartsUtilities.dll downloaded from the link on the front page of this thread and the lastest Firespitter core.

I think that the problem is that the wheel shown in the 2nd to last picture is BEHIND the attachment point (toward the back of the ERS). Try this: Remove the wheel. Right click and toggle suspension. Then re-attach to the same node as before. This is what works for me

This is how it is when you disconnect it.

gxK96yY.jpg

This is how it should be. I had to rotate it D-D, E-E to get it lined up after toggling the suspension

rL06YAx.jpg

Now for a question to you. Could you please explain how to get the imgur albums into the posts. I am having a heck of a time posting anything other than in-line pictures (see above).

Thanks

EDIT: I was wrong. You may be doing it just fine, but, I've discovered something weird. Building similar vehicles in the SPH and the wheels fall through the ground. Build it in the VAB and they do not. If you LOAD a vehicle built in the SPH while in the VAB, they DO fall through the ground. Would someone confirm this?

If I build this SAME vehicle in the SPH, the wheels fall through the ground, regardless of where it is launched from.

rJsRFte.jpg

Edited by nukeboyt
Apologies:

Hmm, if I can make a suggestion, Alexustas what i found to actually be a good alternative to building sky cranes for the ERS is to make some fuel carrying versions of the crew module and use rockomax thrusters attached to the sides. I would show screenshots but I'm repairing my drives right now. I also would have rcs thrusters on the top corners to help steer it to land.

Now for a question to you. Could you please explain how to get the imgur albums into the posts. I am having a heck of a time posting anything other than in-line pictures (see above).

Thanks

EDIT: I was wrong. You may be doing it just fine, but, I've discovered something weird. Building similar vehicles in the SPH and the wheels fall through the ground. Build it in the VAB and they do not. If you LOAD a vehicle built in the SPH while in the VAB, they DO fall through the ground. Would someone confirm this?

If I build this SAME vehicle in the SPH, the wheels fall through the ground, regardless of where it is launched from.

For the imgur albums, I just click on the Link icon in the menu bar above the message text (the icon with Earth and a little chain) and then type in my URL (e.g., http://imgur.com/a/0W0JP). I think the reason your pictures show up inline is because they end with the ".jpg" prefix. To post a single image, you want the non-jpg/png URL (i.e., the Image Link, not the Direct Link). For example "http://imgur.com/OCNJR2W" instead of "http://i.imgur.com/OCNJR2W.png".

As for building in the SPH and VAB, the same thing happens to me. If I build an ESR in the SPH and then load and launch it from the VAB, it buries itself (plus sometimes I get a set of explosions in the near distance 5-10 seconds later). If however, I build an identical ESR in the VAB and launch that, the ESR does not sink.

However, VAB-built ESRs act funny. Their suspension is much too low, as if the arm has been rotated 45 degrees, threatening to bottom out the ESR. The wheels will also "pop" upwards during the first few seconds of travel as if pulling out of a stuck position and don't want to go into reverse.

Here are some images of what I'm talking about: http://imgur.com/a/peM4s

The wheels will also "pop" upwards during the first few seconds of travel as if pulling out of a stuck position and don't want to go into reverse.

I have seen the pop upwards. To me it seems as if they are running over an invisible object on the ground. I can duplicate the "pop up" next to the exhaust ducts below the launch pad. If I drive back and forth (East - West) right next to the exhaust ducts, the wheels pop in swquence as I drive over the "invisible object" So somehow this behavior is related to a physical location. Very odd.

Here's another odd thing. If I create an ESR in the VAB as I did above, the steering works fine on the pad. However, if I rotate each wheel so that the suspension is at a 45-degree angle (as it should be) instead of the bottoming-out angle it normally has in the VAB, when I launch it the steering changes for normal to canter tilt.

You can see that happening in this album: http://imgur.com/a/sUncZ.

I would understand this behavior in the reverse, i.e., tilting under the bottoming-out angle and normal for the 45-degree angle. I would just assume that the direction of turn is related to the suspension arm and not the initial tilt of the wheel on launch. However, that's not the behavior I'm seeing here.

- - - Updated - - -

And one last thing before people get annoyed at all my posts...

If I create an EST in the VAB in the vertical direction (i.e., cabin window facing the ceiling of the VAB), the wheels attach at a more reasonable angle without me having to do anything. However, when I take the whole rover, rotate it so that it's now level with the floor and then launch, the wheels sink into the ground again.

There's some weird voodoo in these wheels.

Alex, just out of idle curiosity, I created a version of your wheel configured with the KF plugin instead of JSI and FS. It works quite well; are you interested? The only caveat is it doesn't currently support the retract mode , but this is on my list.

Update: I thought I ought to make a demo: http://youtu.be/D9kmvxZfxsw

This is just a config bash; nothing is changed in the model. I've used the KF plugin to replace the JSI and FireSpitter modules. As you can see, it neatly removes the need for setting motor direction, steering and handedness up, all of which is done automatically. Hope you approve :) Oh, and I forgot to implement the tread change for the video.

Edited by lo-fi

Alex, just out of idle curiosity, I created a version of your wheel configured with the KF plugin instead of JSI and FS. It works quite well; are you interested? The only caveat is it doesn't currently support the retract mode , but this is on my list.

Oh lord... Who do I have to KILL to get ahold of those wheels, lo-fi? :D

I don't know if it was meant to address the wheel sinkage issue, but (after installing the new 0.3 JSIPartUtilities) the ERS wheels are still sinking and getting stuck in the ground on launch.

Yup. Same here. Have latest Firesplitter Core too. Wonder what's causing it? (I get same problem on runway, or pad)

I think you have the wheels on rotated to their side. When you select the wheel from the parts list you need to press S once to rotate it to the correct orientation before you put it on the rover. Make sure when you pick reverse suspension from the right-click menu that it points top right or top left. If it is pointing down then you need to rotate the wheel otherwise it will sink into the ground because the collider isn't pointing towards the ground.

I think you have the wheels on rotated to their side. When you select the wheel from the parts list you need to press S once to rotate it to the correct orientation before you put it on the rover. Make sure when you pick reverse suspension from the right-click menu that it points top right or top left. If it is pointing down then you need to rotate the wheel otherwise it will sink into the ground because the collider isn't pointing towards the ground.

Thank you! That wasn't exactly it, but it lead to the solution. I needed to toggle the suspension on half the wheels, so as to realign the nodes. Basically, if I'd paid closer attention to this I'd have been ok. http://youtu.be/INkW5G9aLbo

This is is THE rover, as far as I'm concerned. Just love the ladder and all that storage space underneath. *Gurgles to self*

Edited by BinaryBad

The solution to the wheel problem has been right in front of us! (Thanks Alex). The wheels must be installed with the
RED ARROW
pointing up (towards the top of the vehicle)

This wheel is
CORRECTLY INSTALLED

F0yqRJ5.png

This wheel is
NOT CORRECTLY INSTALLED

MQlWzhm.png

This is the RESULT of the installation

xbcz5nL.png

The solution to the wheel problem has been right in front of us! (Thanks Alex). The wheels must be installed with the
RED ARROW
pointing up (towards the top of the vehicle)

Awesome Nukeboyt! That's it. I was getting getting confused because I misremembered how low the suspension should be. I was setting the angle too high and thereby confusing the wheel. Although it would be nice if the wheels could be fault tolerant in that respect, I understand that can be a pain to program and not very rewarding. I'm happy that there is a solution.

I still get that weird initial wheel "popping" but that doesn't stop the rover or cause other ill effects.

I've even managed to get it to work properly with the Aviation Lights mod to provide working brake lights, turn signals and reverse lights (
).

Thanks Nukeboyt, other people including Alex have said what you said but you finally nailed it on the head.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.