[1.7.3] Exploration Rover System by A.S.E.T. v0.3 (04.08.19)

alexustas

Sounds like they've been attached in the wrong orientation. Most parts brought into the SPH from the part-list come into being at the wrong angle and need to be adjusted to work right. These wheels especially confuse because they can change how they attach. There really needs to be some sort of alignment-to-ground indicator or something. It'd sure help out the less intuitive builders.

Thanks but it's ok, I can get it working, just not from the SPH.

However I've uninstalled it for the time being until the science module is ready, trying to find somewhere to attach a materials bay without it looking ridiculous is not working :P

Actually, I was going to mention this to alexustas

The surface attach point is set weirdly (though there may be a good reason I'm missing). You can change the line in the config to the following and they will behave as you're expecting:

node_attach = 0.7, 0.2, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

If it possible that you could consider adding support for USI resources? The crew tanks would be wonderful resources container. Perhaps make the KAS containers as well?

Another neat thing would be, an object which you can assign a specific weight to, ranging from 1-20 tons, this is really neat when towing things like USI modules. Right now I have to use rather large metal containers to offset weight. Might post a picture of what I'm doing in an hour or so.

Also, will there be a low-res texture pack for this?

If it possible that you could consider adding support for USI resources? The crew tanks would be wonderful resources container. Perhaps make the KAS containers as well?

Another neat thing would be, an object which you can assign a specific weight to, ranging from 1-20 tons, this is really neat when towing things like USI modules. Right now I have to use rather large metal containers to offset weight. Might post a picture of what I'm doing in an hour or so.

Also, will there be a low-res texture pack for this?

Why not edit the cfg or make a MM to do what you want ?

• 3 weeks later...

The ALCOR mod ranks as one of my favorite mods and has significantly increased my enjoyment of the game. Being a rover fan, I'm amazed at the lovely and functional design of the ERS. It does for rovers what ALCOR did for landers.

Thanks so much for your efforts in creating these mods. I hope you're able to find time later to do more with them and still enjoy the process. I certainly love what you've done here.

One question for when you have time: Is it difficult to add a button in the front cabin's contextual menu that essentially frosts over the glass (instead of hacking the cfg file) so that if you run into frame rate issues you can just turn off the transparency in game?

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit of the rover makes my game lag... As soon as I click it in the VAB or launch it I get fps lag. Not much but just enough to let it be very annoying. Anyone got an idea why this is happening?

The cockpit of the rover makes my game lag... As soon as I click it in the VAB or launch it I get fps lag. Not much but just enough to let it be very annoying. Anyone got an idea why this is happening?

The same here. I removed the ASET Props and it's better now, but I'm not sure what I'm missing by doing that.

The thing that really causes the lag is the JSI Transparent Window module. If you simply delete (or comment out) that module, the windows of the rover will no longer be transparent from outside. Unfortunately, they end up looking a dull brownish color, but I can live with that. :) But if you go to the IVA view, everything will be there, you can see out the windows just like normal, and everything works fine, even the cool HUD window displays. :)

The problem with removing the ASET Props folder would be that there would be some missing elements in the IVA, which could spam your log with errors to the point that your game runs out of memory and locks up and/or crashes, or any number of other Kraken-summoning problems could occur. So I'd recommend keeping the props folder in place and just removing the Transparent Window module.

My 2 cents. :D

The thing that really causes the lag is the JSI Transparent Window module. If you simply delete (or comment out) that module, the windows of the rover will no longer be transparent from outside. Unfortunately, they end up looking a dull brownish color, but I can live with that. :) But if you go to the IVA view, everything will be there, you can see out the windows just like normal, and everything works fine, even the cool HUD window displays. :)

The problem with removing the ASET Props folder would be that there would be some missing elements in the IVA, which could spam your log with errors to the point that your game runs out of memory and locks up and/or crashes, or any number of other Kraken-summoning problems could occur. So I'd recommend keeping the props folder in place and just removing the Transparent Window module.

My 2 cents. :D

Where do we comment it out exactly? .cfg folder where it refers to that module? Which line?

Where do we comment it out exactly? .cfg folder where it refers to that module? Which line?

I guess that would be:

MODULE
{
name = JSITransparentPod
transparentTransforms = CabineGlassBottomLeftSide|CabineGlassBottomRightSide|CabineGlassCentre|CabineGlassLefSide|CabineGlassLeftSide|CabineGlassLowCenter|CabineGlassLowRightSide|CabineGlassRightSide|CabineGlassTop
}

or use MM patch:

@PART[ERSCabine]:Final

{
-MODULE
{
name = JSITransparentPod
}
}

Edited by sebi.zzr

alexustas,

Is there any chance you can address the transparent cockpit lag? It's almost unbearable to have to disable that because it's so unbelievably cool. Roverdude has a transparent cockpit in his USI Exploration Pack that doesn't seem to lag, so I think there's a technique out there which avoids it. Not sure if it'd meet your requirements, but it might be worth an ask. It uses USI_ClearIVA module to get a transparent cockpit on the EVA Pod.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.