[1.7.3] Exploration Rover System by A.S.E.T. v0.3 (04.08.19)

alexustas

Great idea Movado! I'm stealing that. (Well copying, I guess)

Update The rover fits very neatly into USI's transport cargo part. Managed to deliver one to Minmus. Worked really well.

xEotZp2.jpg?1

Edited by BinaryBad

Speaking of a wheel problem, I don't know if it was discussed yet, but i have a problem with the wheels showing both the forward and backward configuration in the Hangars and on launch.

Oh, and it doesn't show all the options with the crew module.

Please help me.

DeepSlay

Speaking of a wheel problem, I don't know if it was discussed yet, but i have a problem with the wheels showing both the forward and backward configuration in the Hangars and on launch.

Oh, and it doesn't show all the options with the crew module.

Please help me.

DeepSlay

You are using an incorrect version of JSIPartUtilities. I had the same problem. Alexustas' post of May 9 links to the right one. Don't know if it's been superceded.

Hey alexustas, one suggestion to make for the next version -- KSP has a new feature for sorting by cross-section, defined by the "bulkheadProfiles" variable. Since the ERS fits in a 3.75m fairing, you should probably label them as "bulkheadProfiles = size3,srf" (the wheels and docking port probably ought to be size1 and srf, and just srf for the spotlight). Thanks!

EDIT: Something that occurred to me later -- since they're sort of a shape of their own, I can also make a custom size category for people who use Filter Extensions, if you're interested.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

Hey alexustas, one suggestion to make for the next version -- KSP has a new feature for sorting by cross-section, defined by the "bulkheadProfiles" variable. Since the ERS fits in a 3.75m fairing, you should probably label them as "bulkheadProfiles = size3,srf" (the wheels and docking port probably ought to be size1 and srf, and just srf for the spotlight). Thanks!

Thanks for advice! I actually planned to do something like this.

- - - Updated - - -

If I create an EST in the VAB in the vertical direction (i.e., cabin window facing the ceiling of the VAB), the wheels attach at a more reasonable angle without me having to do anything. However, when I take the whole rover, rotate it so that it's now level with the floor and then launch, the wheels sink into the ground again.

There's some weird voodoo in these wheels.

I specially placed the video in the first post which shows a process of building the rover. Please use this method.

And I'll think how to make the process simpler and more native.

I specially placed the video in the first post which shows a process of building the rover. Please use this method.

And I'll think how to make the process simpler and more native.

Yep, you're right. The confusion stemmed from the fact that when I first used ESR back when JSIUtilities wasn't working correctly and showing both suspension arms at once (as well as no ability to switch wheel nodes on and off), I got into the habit of using the visual reference of attaching the wheel with both suspensions arms (as seen in this picture). When that was fixed and only one suspension arm was visible, I just attached it at the angle that looked best. The other way seemed too close to bottoming out the rover.

I had watched your video in the first post the first time I used ESR but since it wasn't working for me as it did in the video (i.e., two suspension arms and no wheel nodes in the menu), I didn't revisit it when the problem had been fixed.

The most important aspect of attaching the wheel, as pointed out earlier, is the tiny red arrow pointing up. To remind people like me, there probably should be a big note at the beginning "The wheels can only be attached at a specific angle. Be sure that the little red arrows on the wheels point upwards during assembly otherwise your wheels might 'sink' into the ground and get stuck on launch."

If the wheels could be fixed so that it wouldn't matter what angle the suspension arm is at, that would make the process simpler and more native. I understand though that this fix might not be possible. If one knows that they can only be attached at the angle at which the little red arrows points up, then the process is straightforward.

Any Idea what's causing this? It behaves as if there is an invisible object that each wheel rolls over in turn. It is always in the same spot near the launchpad. Don't know if it happens elswhere. Not that it is a problem... It doesn't impact game play what-so-ever.

bCH9i7L.png

Edited by nukeboyt

I'm also noticing that the Crew Report science gathering action appears to be unavailable from crewed ASET rover pieces. If you're running up against some kind of limit, I'd venture to say that I'd gladly exchange a tweakable like one of three flags or navigation lights if it allowed you to add Crew Report functionality.

Otherwise awesome pack, and thank you!

I'm also noticing that the Crew Report science gathering action appears to be unavailable from crewed ASET rover pieces. If you're running up against some kind of limit, I'd venture to say that I'd gladly exchange a tweakable like one of three flags or navigation lights if it allowed you to add Crew Report functionality.

Otherwise awesome pack, and thank you!

Just by looking it's not on any of the parts so it would have to be added or patched maybe, I'll get to it later.

Just by looking it's not on any of the parts so it would have to be added or patched maybe, I'll get to it later.

Cheers, good sir.

Tried to do as much with stock as possible, and here's the result: the love child of the Mako and NASA's SEV.

29A6136985D9ED07EF172690B0EC698A7EDFE9E3

Bit of a MZKT-79221 thing here. Season with infernal robotics to taste.

CBE3675F1105788870110A1E8B6EDD5323475336

Edited by Bomoo

Two suggestions! (1) Joystick and peddle props in IVA for the driver of the ERS. Otherwise, how are they driving?? Also, (2) a flat portion for KIS storage containers similar to the picture... then again, we could build that from stock parts...

IVNq56rl.jpg

You're mods are awesome! Can't wait for ALCOR and KONQUEST to be finished too. I'm going to definitely use Community Tech Tree to push them further down the tech line however:D

• 5 weeks later...

I guess I'm the only one who plays Career Mode and I ran into a problem. The Rescue mission put up the ERS crew module for rescue but there isn't any way to exit it. I'll have to go edit the save file to change it to a pod or something. Can you make the part ineligible for the rescue missions? Thanks Alex and I love the mod.

edit: Had to delete the vessel and contract. To much effort to change it. :D

Edited by ranathane

I guess I'm the only one who plays Career Mode and I ran into a problem. The Rescue mission put up the ERS crew module for rescue but there isn't any way to exit it. I'll have to go edit the save file to change it to a pod or something. Can you make the part ineligible for the rescue missions? Thanks Alex and I love the mod.

Looking at the CFG's there is no way it should be doing any mission like that you sure you don't have a mod that is adding other mods parts ?

my mods are: toolbar, ERS, CLS, Contracts Window, Orbital Science, Editor Extensions, Firesplitter, JSI, KAS, Hyperedit, KIS, KW Rocketry, Infernal Robotics, MechJeb, Procedural Fairings, SCANSat, Science Alert, TAC Fuel Balancer, TweakScale and Universal Storage. ModuleManager 2.6.6 is installed.

I don't know why it's doing it either. If it showed up under the Pods parts list I could maybe understand. I'll see if it does it again.

Does anyone else have a problem with the crew module not accepting EVA and Surface Sample reports?

Might be looking at the cfg thats not in them you would need to edit them if you can't will see about a patch for you ?

EDIT- You would need to add

MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceExperiment
experimentID = crewReport
experimentActionName = Crew Report
resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
reviewActionName = Review Report
useStaging = False
useActionGroups = True
hideUIwhenUnavailable = True
rerunnable = True
xmitDataScalar = 1.0
usageReqMaskInternal = 5
usageReqMaskExternal = -1
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceContainer
reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
storeActionName = Store Experiments
evaOnlyStorage = True
storageRange = 1.3
}

Edited by Mecripp2

SPoKOlc.png

Sorry if that image is too big, it's my first post, and i don't know how to limit things yet.

As you can see, i'm getting a strange behavior with the wheels. They've started acting this way since i installed a JSI install (for RPM). I have no option for selecting suspension or tire direction, and both are onscreen simultaneously. Both positions will grab on to a node, and the wheel does work as it should, except the extra suspension will catch on things.

What else might you need a look at to fix? The only thing that changed after i installed the rover and its dependencies was the upgraded JSI, and Module Manager 2.6.6, which i think came with JSI.

You need JSI Part Utility 0.3

HA! So i did. I must've managed to do a partial JSI update somehow. This will greatly improve my climbing ability, which is excellent because my expedition is currently in a mountain. Gotta say, i love this rover pack, and these wheels are my favorite so far. This mod made me break out my old USB steering wheel.

Might be looking at the cfg thats not in them you would need to edit them if you can't will see about a patch for you ?

EDIT- You would need to add

MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceExperiment
experimentID = crewReport
experimentActionName = Crew Report
resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
reviewActionName = Review Report
useStaging = False
useActionGroups = True
hideUIwhenUnavailable = True
rerunnable = True
xmitDataScalar = 1.0
usageReqMaskInternal = 5
usageReqMaskExternal = -1
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceContainer
reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
storeActionName = Store Experiments
evaOnlyStorage = True
storageRange = 1.3
}

I edited the persistenence file to add this code to Rover on Eello and alas, it did nothing. Which is just odd. Surely any long term rover such as this should be able to store science, right? I am disappoint!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.