Greatest man i human history?

Pawelk198604

That is also very true. Then again, with Newton, he paved the way for us to make a lot of things that destroy the environment. So, there is that.

Pretty much any invention ever has been abused and employed to hurt or kill others, so that can hardly be used against someone or something.

2. Wernher Von Braun. He spearheaded space exploration efforts in the early years of NASA. Many believe without him, the United States would've either never reached the moon or have delayed its first landing by a massive difference in time from the original 1969 landing date.

The humanity would reach the Moon sooner or later because plenty of people were working on reactive engines. There's no need to put a war criminal in the list of greatest people ever.

The humanity would reach the Moon sooner or later because plenty of people were working on reactive engines. There's no need to put a war criminal in the list of greatest people ever.

Whether or not he was a war criminal is up to your opinion. Many at NASA say that his contribution to the Apollo program was invaluable, and his expertise and way of dealing with the public also helped to greatly sell the Apollo program. Von Braun also published many books about rocketry, and worked with aerospace companies before his death.

Von Braun had no choice regarding slave labor (And depending on accounts, he either tried to stop it or tried to improve conditions) and he needed to accept the SS rank or else he would not have been able to continue his research. If I was in his position, I would've done the same thing - and since many at the time did not know about the atrocities committed, I believe many of you would also have accepted it reluctantly.

There is a reason why Von Braun is still highly revered in space and rocketry communities. Most of this is opinion anyways - and the point is, I admire Von Braun. I know about his past, but his achievements are still something to be marveled at.

Edited by NASAFanboy

I wouldn't put anyone from any space program on the list of greatest people. When I think greatest, I think the person has to have been a huge influence on the betterment of humanity. No one in any space program has done that in any way, shape, or form. We went to space, big deal. How did that really help humanity, other than giving the US and/or USSR bragging rights?

Sacrilegious to say something like that here, I know. But really. Greatest person, ever, in the history of the world? No one in any space program comes even close.

Dude you don't know who marie curie is? She won the Nobel prize... Twice. Her research in radioactivity broke ground on everything we know today.
Seriously, go wash your mouth with soap. Curie is one of the great ones, the fact that she won two Noble prizes in two separate fields of research should be an indication that we are not talking about a mere mortal.

You remark tells us more about you than about Curie :wink:

Looks like I've got some reading to do...

I wouldn't put anyone from any space program on the list of greatest people. When I think greatest, I think the person has to have been a huge influence on the betterment of humanity. No one in any space program has done that in any way, shape, or form. We went to space, big deal. How did that really help humanity, other than giving the US and/or USSR bragging rights?

Sacrilegious to say something like that here, I know. But really. Greatest person, ever, in the history of the world? No one in any space program comes even close.

I definitely agree.

Also when it comes to the great things a person has done for the soviet or american space program, I would put the actual astronauts last.

The people who contributed most to a nations space program aren´t those who get the media coverage, fame (and money from interviews/articles), but rather the numerous unknown engineers, mathematicans, astrophysicists, who turned the rockets from a theoretical concept into reality.

I don't think the greatest person in history would be an astronaut. Even though they were the best of the best highly skilled test pilots, they were part of a team and they were interchangeable and part of the effort of a nation. If it hadn't been Gagarin or Armstrong, it would have been another astronaut. The engineers and scientists behind them, although less famous, played a bigger role in the events than the actual astronauts.

The most important man in history would be someone who changed the destiny of Humanity on his own. I would say it's the Homo Sapiens who one day discovered how to make fire. Unfortunately, his name didn't make it to posterity.

Relative to the ground team, especially in early flights, astronauts just had to survive the flight, not much actual flying.

Teddy Roosevelt. Why? Conservationist. He's the reason we still have Bison in the US, the reason we can enjoy National Forests. Plus, Panama Canal helped make the world a smaller place.

Rene Descartes. Father of modern Philosophy. We gave us the analytical method.

Henry Ford. While he didn't invent the automobile (sorry fellow Americans) he did modernize how they were made. Mass production. You could get one of his model T's in any color you wanted... as long as it was black.

Honorable mention:

Alexander The Great. One of the most powerful men in early history. By age 32, he held territory over nearly the entire (known) western world. While he is known for his greatness, he was also a d-bag. He killed anyone that threatened his rule, would re-invade cities he already held and razed an entire town in memory of the loss of his best friend.

Edited by Capt.Joseph Kerbertson
Panama Canal is not the Suez Canal...

Johann Sebastian Bach

because someone composing one of the most important classical music pieces was not mentioned yet.

Edit: Here's another one a modern version of Toccata which i enjoy very much.

Edited by gpisic

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.