[1.1] AFBW v1.7-beta (Joystick & controller mod)

nlight

Advanced Fly-By-Wire v1.7-beta

Supports KSP 1.1+ on 64-bit Windows and 32/ 64-bit Linux.

XInput is not available on Linux.

Windows 7 and up. Windows XP is not supported.

Linux users, you must install SDL2 through your distro's package manager (libSDL2-2.so must be present on the system)

Features

- Simple to configure
- Edit your control setup at any time during flight, no need to go back to the main menu to change bindings
- Button combos!
- Plug & play
- Multiple presets
- Supports all controller & joystick models using SDL
- Native support for Xbox 360- compatible controllers through XInput
- Unlimited number of buttons and axes
- Keyboard & mouse support
- Lower latency and better analog precision for some controllers
- Dead-zone detection and analog calibration

NgIVDIQ.png

How to use

The mod adds a new button to the mod toolbar. Click the game controller icon or press Shift + L during flight to bring up AFBW's main configuration screen.
After setting up your controller you should save your game (by using quick-save or exiting to space center), which will automatically save your controller configuration as well.

Install using

DLab719.png

The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network

Manual installation

Windows

1. Download the latest mod archive from SpaceDock

2. Copy the contents of the archive inside KSP's root folder. You should see the game controller icon during flight mode.

3. Please note that XInputInterface.dll and SDL2.dll must be in the same folder as the KSP executable and not in GameData.

Linux

1. Download the latest mod archive from SpaceDock

2. Install SDL2 using your distro's package manager (libSDL2-2..so. should be present on the system)

3. Copy the contents of the archive inside KSP's root folder.

Report bugs in GitHub's issue tracker or as a reply to this post.

AFBW is licensed under the MIT License (full source on GitHub)

Edited by nlight
version 1.7-beta

This seems to work pretty excellently, though is it possible to, for example, bind increment and decrement yaw to the triggers on a 360 controller, or to make the analog triggers act as a single axis? (With the left trigger being negative)

This seems to work pretty excellently, though is it possible to, for example, bind increment and decrement yaw to the triggers on a 360 controller, or to make the analog triggers act as a single axis? (With the left trigger being negative)

This was very simple to implement, so here you go :)

Version 1.0.2 contains "negative" versions of yaw, pitch, roll, x, y and z so it's possible to achieve exactly this:

MwW1mPP.png

Not working foe me still purple icon on toolbar & blank setting, I have XBOX360 controller & 32bit KSP & 32bit Advanced Fly-by-wire, this mod bug?

I have messaged you in private with the info you need to send me so I can diagnose this issue.

EDIT: I have also updated the main post with the neccessary steps to submit a good bug report.

Edited by nlight

This mod is an obvious improvement to the AltInput mod in conception, but unfortunately is not functioning in some key ways for me. The bugs are present immediately when running the mod, just running it is the reproduction step. It's a quite a little list of problems, so bear with me. I appreciate your work on this mod.

My slider throttle, recognized as "axis 3," registers from 0.0 to 1.0, or 0.0 to -1.0 when inverted, and when set as the throttle will only change it from 50% thrust to 100%, and it won't consistently go below that. If I lower the throttle with the keyboard, my slider seems to have a close to full range, but doesn't consistently go down to the lowest point in the range.

The brakes seem to be desynchronized from the FAR airbrakes now, and are very consistently opposite of whatever the position the FAR airbrakes. So wheel brakes on means airbrakes off, and the opposite is true as well which makes it really hard to take off :)

The FAR dynamic control adjustment doesn't seem to apply to a controller using this mod, I set it as low as 10 (meaning matching the dynamic pressure of turn while moving at 10 m/s at sea level, I think) and it had no impact on control.

These issues do not exist for me when using the AltInput mod, just for your information. The slider throttle was weird too, I think, but it allows for adjustment of individual axises, so I figured out a setting fix. Also, neither mod seems to detect my POV hat axises, but KSP does alright with those.

Finally, the trim settings, (which are not bindable in AltInput) are a big part of why I wanted to try this mod, as setting trim with a joystick would be great. They seem to register alright, but just not "stick." With RPM and other mods, you can have a trim indicator separate from the regular pitch/roll/yaw indicators, so it is pretty clear that it is in fact changing the trim, but when I let off the stick, it the trim re-centers.

KSP version .24.2 x86

Link to output log (too big for pastebin): https://www.dropbox.com/s/97okor33mm1eedb/output_log.txt?dl=0

Link to AFBW .xml file: http://dpaste.com/1T186J6

AFBW x86 1.0.3 from Github

Controller: Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick (Called 'T.Flight Stick X' by Windows)

Link to GameData folder pic: http://postimg.org/image/4nwb1iqc9/

I have tried the trouble shooting tips listed after "Hold on!"

This mod is an obvious improvement to the AltInput mod in conception, but unfortunately is not functioning in some key ways for me. The bugs are present immediately when running the mod, just running it is the reproduction step. It's a quite a little list of problems, so bear with me. I appreciate your work on this mod.

Thank you for trying out the mod and for the valuable feedback :)

I have managed to reproduce all of the above issues and they will be fixed in the next build.

Version 1.1

- Fixed issue with FAR where FAR's dynamic control adjustment would get overridden

- Fixed trim issues

- Added wheel throttle and wheel steer

- Fixed a bug where throttle wouldn't go below 50%

- Support for controller hats both as axes and buttons (new "Treat hats as buttons" config option)

- Fixed SDL plug and play

- Fixed a preset editor bug where if time is slowed down (e.g. by using the TimeScale mod), it was not possible to change bindings

- General optimization

- Breaks the configuration XML, you will need to recreate your presets.

Wow, thanks for your quick response and development. All of problems I had before were addressed. It is going to be a lot of fun using a flightstick for planes and an XBox controller for rovers, etc. However, the hat-axises appear to be being misidentified. (It's okay for my uses, though I wouldn't mind the added functionality. Either way I figured you'd want to know.) Here's how the axises are reporting:

Pushing up on hat: y+

right: x+

down: x-

left: x- and y-

right/down: x+ and y-

left/down: no response

left/up: no response

right/up: y-

(A note about the bindings, I figured out how to push the hat in such a way so that the name of the binding and it's function were the same as what I pushed, i.e. up and right, but it didn't really matter which direction I pushed while binding the control, the camera responses were approximately the same.)

This is certainly not a demand for support as I am very appreciative for your work. In fact I want to say thanks again for this great addition to the community. Kerbal players are lucky to have such robust support from modders like you.

Link to output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/97okor33mm1eedb/output_log.txt?dl=0

Link to AFBW .xml file: http://dpaste.com/3TMV39Q

AFBW Version 1.1 from Github

Everything else remains the same.

Edited by Mandelbrot
Oops!

However, the hat-axises appear to be being misidentified.

Sorry, this was due to my own misinterpretation of SDL's documentation, should be fixed now.

In fact I want to say thanks again for this great addition to the community. Kerbal players are lucky to have such robust support from modders like you.

Thank you, I wouldn't expect anything less from other modders :)

It stopped to recognize my joystick. I even re-installed the mod again, but it doesn't show my joystick on the list.

The stick works fine, even the joystick buttons, that are bind to controls in options menu work.

"Have you trid turning it on and off again?"

I have. It worked. Sorry for your time.

Edited by Las-pen
Solved the problem

First off, I want to say that it's great that this mod exists, and I can't wait to explore it's potential. Having said that, I'm in a bit of a bind in that I have a Saitek X55 Rhino stick and throttle, and all drivers are installed and the device is recognized in Windows, but it does not show up at all in game. Additionally I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps listed in the first post, but still no dice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

Thanks for the reply to my post, but I managed to get it working by using this mod by itself in a vanilla 0.24 install. Obviously one of my many other mods was interfering. I am not sure which, and with the release of 0.25, that problem is essentially moot.

Edited by white_coat_awesome
Follow Up

First off, I want to say that it's great that this mod exists, and I can't wait to explore it's potential. Having said that, I'm in a bit of a bind in that I have a Saitek X55 Rhino stick and throttle, and all drivers are installed and the device is recognized in Windows, but it does not show up at all in game. Additionally I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps listed in the first post, but still no dice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. Could you follow the steps in the "Bug reports" section of the main post and send me the neccessary info so I can fix this.

EDIT:

As far as I can see your joystick is supported both by Windows and by SDL so there shouldn't be any issues. Please try deleting your GameData/ksp-advanced-flybywire/ksp-advanced-flybywire_v11.xml

and restart the game. Try plugging your joystick once you're actually in flight mode and see if it appears on the list then.

Edited by nlight