[1.1] AFBW v1.7-beta (Joystick & controller mod)

nlight

Cerbero: x64 KSP on windows is a huge waste of time, it's incredibly unstable and 90%+ of modders out there flat out say they don't support it, not idea why nlight does, he must have the patience of a saint. Odds are the game is just crashing/bugging out on it's own accord, try it with the x86 exe of KSP and the x86 version of the mod.

@nlight just got home, trying now, I'll reply here/update when I have.

I do have DX11 installed, in fact, it is bundled to W7. Here is the output log of running AFBW x64 on KSP 0.25 x64.

http://pastebin.com/QM20bnQ2

Hey, thanks for the log. I am looking into this. So far it seems it's actually an AFBW issue and not KSP so hopefully it's fixable :)

Chris, you can find me on IRC in the next 6-8 hours

Could you send me your ksp-advanced-flybywire_v11.xml just after you've used the Calibrate option. I should be able to fix this. I will also put GUI controls for deadzone and sensitivity in the next version.

The quadratic interpolation provides a lot of precision at the beginning of the range, what you want is inverse quadratic, which I will also implement.

Thanks again for contributing to the development of this mod :)

Strangely the config file seems to have deleted itself and the controller is of course no longer calibrated nor presets available in-game. I'll do it again later and send it to you.

I'm not sure if I did something weird to cause it to get deleted, but if it happens again I'll let you know.

Hi Nlight, here is the config immediately after clicking save configuration.

http://pastebin.com/5NMM4W16

I noticed if I was really quick to move the stick after a few goes I could get the auto axis detection to work.

I also noticed I had to invert my throttle axis prior to calibrating it. Inverting after calibration meant the throttle went from 0 to -1 and was then non-functional. I'm not sure its an issue, but without thinking about it, it is somewhat unexpected.

I've just noticed my setup has been lost again, and the xml only has the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Configuration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<controllers />
</Configuration>

Perhaps two relevant details:

1) My game did crash, though I'd already saved the config manually.

2) I turned off the joystick control option in my last flight.

Another point to note, when jumping to a craft the throttle is automatically set at whatever position it is on the stick. This is a problem if for example you've flown a plane and haven't throttled down, then jump to a lander. As soon as it loads the engines fire up. I'm not sure how you'd fix this... I guess not setting the throttle position until it's changed on the controller would be a start, but even turning it down to zero could still be problematic for small landers.

Edited by TK421

Version 1.2.3 is up with the following changes:

- Fixed the wheel throttle bugs

- Added a new "Brakes (Hold)" binding, renamed "Brakes" to "Brakes (Toggle)"

- Fixed an issue where some axis combos wouldn't work

- New options in controller configuration to set dead-zones from the GUI

- Added "Quadratic (Inverted)" interpolation option

- New controller test tool

- Throttle and wheel throttle now reset to zero when you change vessels

I am also working on all the other issues but I wanted to get this out sooner rather than later :)

Edited by nlight

This mod makes me hugely excited. However.

I use a Saitek X-55 system? And what's going on for me is that when I try to bind axes on the stick, it flares up with Button #16 or whatever -- tied to the mode switch on the throttle and constantly fired based on the mode switch's setting - and binds that plus axis #0 to whatever I'm trying to use.

(Edit: Same deal on the Throttle, but with Button 31 - 33 )

D:

Is there a way to get around this?

Edit (for solution): !!! Okay. I switched to 'Old presets editor'? The flaring up with the mode switch buttons issue is no longer an issue. Hurrah! <3 Thank you so much!

Edited by JimTheDog

Edit (for solution): !!! Okay. I switched to 'Old presets editor'? The flaring up with the mode switch buttons issue is no longer an issue. Hurrah! <3 Thank you so much!

This is some silly regression, that's why I should start writing tests :) Thanks for the report, I will fix this asap

And what's going on for me is that when I try to bind axes on the stick, it flares up with Button #16 or whatever -- tied to the mode switch on the throttle and constantly fired based on the mode switch's setting - and binds that plus axis #0 to whatever I'm trying to use.

I think I have fixed this, you can grab the latest alpha build - x86 or x64 - and try it out :)

Anyone know how to get KSP to re-recognize the controller after it times out? I tend to get carried away in the VAB, the controller shuts off, then I can't use it when I'm ready to fly.

This isn't really an 'issue' with AFBW, so I wouldn't classify it as a bug. :)

I could really use a feature in this mod where you can assign an inverted axis in one of the presets.

The reason is that when I'm flying a helicopter or a lander I'd like the throttle to behave like a collective on a helicopter (back means more power), but still behave like a normal throttle when flying fixed-wing aircraft (forward means more power)

Hi,

First of all, I really appreciate this mod and for me it does exactly what I had always wanted KSP to do. It is almost perfect for me, however I am experiencing a few issues with this plugin.

I use manual dead-zones for my joystick, and when set the way I need it, it's absolutely perfect and I can fly planes like a dream. However, for some reason each time I start a new flight my manual dead-zone settings are lost and it reverts to auto, that's despite having the manual deadzone checked. I have to un-check that and re-check it to reset the deadzones the way I need it, otherwise the slightest inadvertent twist of my Logitech extreme 3D sends my plane veering off the runway. I've also tried changing values in the xml config file but upon loading a flight, it has no effect and reverts back to automatic anyway.

The second issue is that occasionally while adjusting settings in the AFBW gui, KSP would hang and stop responding causing me to quit using task manager. Honestly I wouldn't mind if this hanging issue doesn't get fixed for me since it doesn't often happen and I've got everything set up already (meaning I don't need to use the gui anymore) but because of the above issue with needing to reset my deadzones for every flight through the gui, I encounter it often.

I'm using KSP 32bit on a 64bit system, and using the 32bit version of AFBW.

Otherwise, when it doesn't freeze and I get my deadzones set up properly, this mod is amazing.

I was wondering, is there a way you could make yaw and pitch control be to attempt to move the nose to a point, based on controls, relative to the direction of airflow? I know this is a complex system, and might be beyond the scope of this mode, so if you don't want to do that, I'll make a suggestion for a mod request instead.

Hi,

I use manual dead-zones for my joystick, and when set the way I need it, it's absolutely perfect and I can fly planes like a dream. However, for some reason each time I start a new flight my manual dead-zone settings are lost and it reverts to auto, that's despite having the manual deadzone checked. I have to un-check that and re-check it to reset the deadzones the way I need it, otherwise the slightest inadvertent twist of my Logitech extreme 3D sends my plane veering off the runway. I've also tried changing values in the xml config file but upon loading a flight, it has no effect and reverts back to automatic anyway.

The second issue is that occasionally while adjusting settings in the AFBW gui, KSP would hang and stop responding causing me to quit using task manager. Honestly I wouldn't mind if this hanging issue doesn't get fixed for me since it doesn't often happen and I've got everything set up already (meaning I don't need to use the gui anymore) but because of the above issue with needing to reset my deadzones for every flight through the gui, I encounter it often.

Hey, thanks for the detailed feedback, I really appreciate it!

The issue with saving the dead-zones was fixed by an awesome patch by ddaf and will be in the next release. For now you can download the latest alpha dll and replace it in your GameData/ksp-advanced-flybywire folder.

In order to resolve the second issue I have to ask you to follow the steps for reporting bugs listed in the main post and provide me with at least an output_log.txt after such a crash :)

I tried version 1.2.3, but unfortunately it crashes instantly when I click on the icon.

Crash log here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h48k0uwob02613v/2014-11-11_175718.rar?dl=0

I am looking into your issue, thanks for the log!

I was wondering, is there a way you could make yaw and pitch control be to attempt to move the nose to a point, based on controls, relative to the direction of airflow? I know this is a complex system, and might be beyond the scope of this mode, so if you don't want to do that, I'll make a suggestion for a mod request instead.

This is way outside the scope of this simple mod :) but if somebody makes such a mod I'll be happy to do whatever's necessary in AFBW to support it

Anyone know how to get KSP to re-recognize the controller after it times out? I tend to get carried away in the VAB, the controller shuts off, then I can't use it when I'm ready to fly.

This isn't really an 'issue' with AFBW, so I wouldn't classify it as a bug. :)

AFBW supports hot-plugging of any controller as long as the OS supports it. I would look into your controller driver settings.

Edited by nlight

Thanks for this!

Makes airplane flying rather nice and now that I finally understood the whole manual deadzone thing, I can also finally fly spacecraft with my flightstick. :)

- Edit:

Preset cycling is weird. It always ends up at "newpreset" and then refuses to continue.

Edited by Ph34rb0t

Thanks for this!

Makes airplane flying rather nice and now that I finally understood the whole manual deadzone thing, I can also finally fly spacecraft with my flightstick. :)

Thanks for the feedback! I am very happy this helps people :)

Preset cycling is weird. It always ends up at "newpreset" and then refuses to continue.

I am aware that this is a bit non-intuitive and I will fix it sometime in the future. The thing is that you have to bind the 'Cycle presets' button on every preset for it to work properly, if you bind it only on one of the presets it will stop working once you press it once. Hope this makes sense :) Happy flying!

I am aware that this is a bit non-intuitive and I will fix it sometime in the future. The thing is that you have to bind the 'Cycle presets' button on every preset for it to work properly, if you bind it only on one of the presets it will stop working once you press it once. Hope this makes sense :) Happy flying!

My config file got eaten after the upgrade to your alpha build of the .dll, so I had to redo all the profiles. I don't know what I've done wrong before, but cycling profiles now works correctly. Yay! :D

Two more smallish things:

Have you tried to get the camera control in IVA working or is this a KSP limitation?

It's a bit counterintuitive when you change from exterior to interior view and your coolie hat is suddenly inoperative.

Also the "precision controls mode (toggle)" doesn't do anything for me (assuming it's supposed to have the same function as CAPS LOCK).

Also the "precision controls mode (toggle)" doesn't do anything for me (assuming it's supposed to have the same function as CAPS LOCK.

In the previous version, mine bound and worked fine. Precision controls makes absolutely no difference to the input whatsoever if you're controlling axis rather than buttons.

This version, I'm getting the aforementioned crash when the toolbar button is pressed. More than a fix, I would like legacy versions to be available on GitHub. Currently got no access to working version of this mod at all..

In the previous version, mine bound and worked fine. Precision controls makes absolutely no difference to the input whatsoever if you're controlling axis rather than buttons.

This version, I'm getting the aforementioned crash when the toolbar button is pressed. More than a fix, I would like legacy versions to be available on GitHub. Currently got no access to working version of this mod at all..

Hey, all previous versions are available for download from GitHub.

I am sorry to hear that you're getting a crash, may I have a look at your output_log.txt?

Have you tried to get the camera control in IVA working or is this a KSP limitation?

It's a bit counterintuitive when you change from exterior to interior view and your coolie hat is suddenly inoperative.

IVA and EVA controls are coming in the next version thanks to ddaf :)

Hey, all previous versions are available for download from GitHub.

ohh right, sorry that I didn't see that before >_<

I am sorry to hear that you're getting a crash, may I have a look at your output_log.txt?

Here's 4. I'm sure they're all relevant to you because I can't remember this install crashing for any other reason.

EDIT: It's crashing on any version... is there a .NET runtime I'm missing or something?

Edited by Ich Dien