[1.1] AFBW v1.7-beta (Joystick & controller mod)

nlight

Hey guys, sorry I left you in the cold like this for almost two months. Not to worry though, we're back on track with the next AFBW release :)

v1.5

- Re-implemented SAS override (by ddaf)

- Fixed the disappearing SDL controller config (by DeamonSix)

- Fixed a bug where SDL would identify the "centered" position as a button (by badpandabear)

- A big thank you to all contributors and thanks to all users for waiting so long for this update \o/

Bug report: Can't control vehicle without SAS on

* Create a basic rocket: capsule, fuel tank, T-45. Launch, and attempt to control. Happens both with joystick plugged in (though still not detected), and without. I can stage and adjust throttle, but cannot use wasdqe to control movement without turning on SAS. When SAS is turned off, the controls are unresponsive.

* v0.90 x86

* output_log.txt http://pastebin.com/6jDX2Rib

* config file: no controllers http://pastebin.com/k6DKuSMc

* AFBW 1.5 from CKAN

* Logitech 3D Pro (and KB/M)

* GameData folder: https://imgur.com/hT5WdpL

Edit: forgot to mention I'm on Windows 8.1 64-bit

Edited by phalangion

at the moment works like a charm, except for one little thing:

The throttle stick is working only in the (0,1) margin, and not (-1,1), so half the length is being wasted. Man this is hard to explain in english. Anyway, it's a common issue with ksp (maybe unity) and joysticks, so I'm sure you know what I mean.

edit: the configuration tool recognises the full movement, from (-1) to (1), but the throttle moves only with the top half side

I used to use vjoy and ujr to solve this. Is there a way in this mod to solve that?, thanks :-)

edit: I calibrated the throttle again, and now it recognises the full real movement only as a half of the virtual movement (-1,0), so it works (with a little bit too much death zone, even if it's set to 0)

edit2: Ok, now it's working in the (0.25,0.75) area. Still using only half the movement, but now in the middle of the physical axis

Edited by m1sz

So, more snags with this mod.

I can't get trim working how I want it. What I want is to use the D-Pad on my controller (360 Pad) to increase and decrease trim, working as though I was holding Alt and pressing WASD/WQSE. But what I'm getting is:

Try to set up to Pitch Trim - : Tapping up immediately moves pitch by the amount set in "discrete action step"rams pitch trim to full down. Holding it down has no additional effect.

Try to set up to Pitch - : Absolutely no effect unless I deactivate the pitch axis from the analogue stick. And I'd still need to hold a mod button anyway, which I have to set by manually editing settings.cfg.

Try to set up to Pitch (Trim) axis: No effect, as I'd expect.

Setting the option to use hats as buttons has no effect.

Bug report: Can't control vehicle without SAS on

* Create a basic rocket: capsule, fuel tank, T-45. Launch, and attempt to control. Happens both with joystick plugged in (though still not detected), and without. I can stage and adjust throttle, but cannot use wasdqe to control movement without turning on SAS. When SAS is turned off, the controls are unresponsive.

* v0.90 x86

* output_log.txt http://pastebin.com/6jDX2Rib

* config file: no controllers http://pastebin.com/k6DKuSMc

* AFBW 1.5 from CKAN

* Logitech 3D Pro (and KB/M)

* GameData folder: https://imgur.com/hT5WdpL

Edit: forgot to mention I'm on Windows 8.1 64-bit

Also having exactly this issue - can't think of anything more to say to help clarify. An Mk1 Pod, in Career, with Jeb in the seat. Using KSPs configured controls does not move the controls in the lower left. Once SAS is enabled, these same keys do manipulate the control inputs shown in the lower left.

So, the mod is somehow not installing correctly for me. I can see two mod breaking problems, but maybe it's just one big one:

I install it as I should, but the new button does not appear anywhere on the menu. Is it only visible when on runways?

IF i press Shift+L on the runway, however, the UI pops up, but my joystick isn't recognised. I have an X-52 pro, a pair of ch pedals, and i'm on windows 8.1

Using very few mods:

Chatterer, Distant Object, Kerbal engineer, Planetshine. What else can i do to give you more info on the bug?

Edit: I uninstalled Distant Object, and lo and behold, now i can have the button on the UI. One step forward. Joystick still isn't recognised though.

Edited by Synesthesia

Success! A KSP reinstall, and a CKAN install of the mod detects my joystick. Something is sending a constant signal within it, though. Mapping buttons and axis' is next to impossible. I'll try to fix that tomorrow.

Edited by Synesthesia

Also having exactly this issue - can't think of anything more to say to help clarify. An Mk1 Pod, in Career, with Jeb in the seat. Using KSPs configured controls does not move the controls in the lower left. Once SAS is enabled, these same keys do manipulate the control inputs shown in the lower left.

I've sent a fix for this to nlight, it should be out as soon as he does a release again.

Ok, the mod seems far from stable, it seems.

Here are the issues I found:

* CKAN seems the only viable way to install this on win 8.1. Found some bugs with it and Toolbar installation.

* Joysticks are randomly forgotten by the plugin, only fix i found is a clean reinstall, which erases the presets built. Where are these saved?

* Overrides kerbal controls, so kerbals can no longer be controlled. If assigned controls via AFBW on the keyboard and mouse item, they behave very weirdly, a la REvil. Very uncomfortable.

* Maybe some interaction problems with other mods? I've had to cut down to the very basics.

Ok, the mod seems far from stable, it seems.

Hey, sorry you're experiencing issues, let's see what I can do to help.

CKAN seems the only viable way to install this on win 8.1. Found some bugs with it and Toolbar installation.

Oops, I am pretty sure I have forgotten to update the Toolbar mod for a looong time. This has been fixed now.

Joysticks are randomly forgotten by the plugin, only fix i found is a clean reinstall, which erases the presets built. Where are these saved?

Are you sure you've tested with 1.5, I thought we fixed that issue. Please report back on this.

Overrides kerbal controls, so kerbals can no longer be controlled.

Fixed in 1.5.1 by ddaf :)

Maybe some interaction problems with other mods? I've had to cut down to the very basics.

No, hopefully not. AFBW doesn't really modify anything that can screw up other mods, but still I will look into this if you give me a mod list.

Anyway, v1.5.1 is up with ddaf's fix for the broken WASD controls.

Edited by nlight

Hey! Thanks for the reply and the hard work. It really is appreciated! Unity support for joysticks is... special.

I'll check what version of AFBW i have installed when i come back from work, and report back. It's the only one CKAN shows for windows, fwiw.

This mod doesn't recognize my controller. I would fill out the report as described in the OP, but no pastebin site seems to accept a 5721KB output file. I guess I could upload it to Dropbox, but since you so specifically state you want a pastebin site, I'm just going to ask first if a controller not being recognized is what you consider a bug anyway and needs to be reported or is some no-name controller not working just not worth the trouble for you. And also, of course, if Dropbox is fine.

This mod doesn't recognize my controller. I would fill out the report as described in the OP, but no pastebin site seems to accept a 5721KB output file. I guess I could upload it to Dropbox, but since you so specifically state you want a pastebin site, I'm just going to ask first if a controller not being recognized is what you consider a bug anyway and needs to be reported or is some no-name controller not working just not worth the trouble for you. And also, of course, if Dropbox is fine.

Hey, are you running windows 8.1?

First off thanks for this great mod. I find it far superior to KSP's stock input, however i'm having an issue.

Bug report as follows:

Bug: on my Logitech 3D pro the throttle outputs positive numbers for the top half and negitive numbers for the bottom. This mod only detects the top half. Thus, the throttle doesn't function below the halfway mark. Example:

at 0% on my throttle the game throttle is at 0%

at 50% on my the throttle the game throttle is still at 0%

at 75% on my the throttle the game throttle is at 50%

and at 100% on my throttle the game throttle is at 100%

Version: linux 64bit

Controller Logitech Extreme 3D PRO

Game Data:

tqNm376.png

if you need anything else please ask. Thanks again for this wonderful mod. Despite this issue it is still better than stock KSP!

Do I lost my pre-sets by updating from 1.5 to 1.51? :-), not using CKAN, but I could if it's the only way (got it installed anyway)

No, you shouldn't lose your presets. I try my best to break the config only when changing the major version and put a warning in the changelog.

I am running Windows 8.1 and still not getting the joystick recognized. I saw the issue was closed on Github, so should that be working now?

Windows 8.1 and AFBW have a love/ hate kind of relationship, for some people it works flawlessly, others can't ever get AFBW to recognize their controllers. I am 99% sure that x360/ ps3 controllers work fine on windows 8.1 for all users, but SDL has some issues which I can't seem to solve. I will try upgrading to the latest SDL version for next release and we'll see what happens.

on my Logitech 3D pro the throttle outputs positive numbers for the top half and negitive numbers for the bottom. This mod only detects the top half. Thus, the throttle doesn't function below the halfway mark.

This has been on the TODO list for a while, I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the report.

robopilot99

This has been on the TODO list for a while, I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the report.

On the throttle issues, i found that i had the same issue on 1.5 (very nice update by the way, except for the WSAD, got to try that 1.5.1), while not having it on a previous version (1.4.6 ???).

So i got annoyed and tried re-calibrating.

It turns out the initial position of my throttle slider has an influence on that problem:

I could use full course only if the slider was at the bottom position upon hitting calibrate, but not if it was in the middle, or at the top. In all three cases I move it across the entire range during the calibration process. i think displayed range values were different too [-1;1[ against [-1;0[. Possibly this involved checking the invert axis radio button. If you think this is relevant, I can reproduce more professionally this weekend and send you whatever resource you think could help you (log file?).

As for where the settings are saved, that's in the big xml in the main folder AFBW.

I tend to back this file up in case I start KSP without the joystick connected, which seems to make AFBW forget about the settings.

That doesn't seem to include calibration data though, and I can't figure out where this is going....

And congrats on the mod, I could not do without it. And I say that having played with no WSAD when no SAS and half throttle range for the past week. :wink:

1.5.0 installed through CKAN, Win 7, Alarm clock + AFBW, Microsoft Sidewinder ForceFeeback.

The latest version doesn't appear to work at all for me. It constantly seems to want to phantom input full control on various axis whenever i'm not actually touching the joystick. I was hoping it would fix this issue I posted earlier:

Hey, I wanted to give this a shot after using an Xbox controller for years with stock control settings to test out swapping to my joystick/pedals. However I am having a huge issue where as soon as I start to pick up a decent amount of speed on my aircraft it starts culling the maximum joystick inputs severely. (Using RSS/NEAR if it matters) By the time I an flying at a couple hundred m/s I'm only able to get a maximum of 25% or so control authority. I know the AFBW is reading the joystick inputs correctly because the full range registers on the calibration screen, so it's something in the programming that's limiting the inputs. I can't however find the option to disable it and get true 1 to 1 joystick input. Can you please point me to what I need to do to enable a straight 1 to 1 input of controls. Thanks.

But I can't even get far enough to test it because I can't hardly get in the air w/o it going full control over and crashing me.

However I am having a huge issue where as soon as I start to pick up a decent amount of speed on my aircraft it starts culling the maximum joystick inputs severely.

Are you sure that's not something NEAR is doing and not AFBW? If it's not I guess the devs implemented something in 0.90 and, again, didn't tell us.. I summon ddaf to investigate as he's dealt more lately with that part of the code :P

It turns out the initial position of my throttle slider has an influence on that problem

Yes, it does. When you click calibrate AFBW assumes that the controller is "at rest", meaning that all axes are at their identity values (most likely 0.0f for most controllers). The issue here is that your throttle slider doesn't return to its identity (0.0f) automatically when you release the controller - the solution is to manually put the slider at the minimum possible position before clicking Calibrate.

As for where the settings are saved, that's in the big xml in the main folder AFBW.

I tend to back this file up in case I start KSP without the joystick connected, which seems to make AFBW forget about the settings.

That doesn't seem to include calibration data though, and I can't figure out where this is going....

The whole configuration is in the single XML file. Look for the <axisConfigurations> tag.

And I say that having played with no WSAD when no SAS and half throttle range for the past week. :wink:

Sorry about that, I'll try to do better. Thanks for the feedback and the support, if it wasn't for you guys I would have given up on KSP/ Unity's idiosyncrasies a long time ago :)

Edited by nlight