[1.1] AFBW v1.7-beta (Joystick & controller mod)

nlight

i changed the default mappings and whenever i remap with a combo (LB+left stick axis x) it doesn't apply the first button press. for instance, i remapped roll to left stick x axis and yaw to lb + left x axis. when pressing lb + left axis it rolls instead of yaws. don't know why but other then that i like the mod.

I ran into this problem, too. It looks like the axis settings are sensitive to ordering in the config file. I was able to fix it by doing this:

1. Find GameData\ksp-advanced-flybywire\advanced_flybywire_config_v11.xml and open it in a plain text editor (Notepad will do).

2. Scroll down to the collection of <KeyValuePairOfContinuousActionKeyValuePairOfBitsetInt32> elements.

3. If you have multiple entries with the same inner Value (in my case, two 0 values for my left stick X axis), make sure the one with a zero SingleData (meaning no held buttons) comes before the one with a nonzero SingleData (in my case, 128 for my RB). I sorted that whole section of the file, first by inner Value, then by SingleData.

4. Save and launch KSP.

A mod that TRULY gives me access to everything? Excellent! I now can revisit my "How to play KSP with the Steel Battalion Controller" tutorial... Though I still wish I could find a way to better determine which state things are in so I can have the controller's lights reflect it more accurately. That has so far been the only real hurdle outside of just writing a plugin myself that talks to a sub application... but at that point I'm just remaking the wheel.

With any controller activated in the setup window, as soon as I hit back (S) the rover just starts accelerating forward on its own. If I hit forward (W) or disable the controller the rover stops accelerating and acts like normal, but it won't go backwards. I have reproduced this on a fresh install./

As a workaround for this you can unbind 'Wheel throttle'. This should return the original behavior.

This is great and is awesome for planes, but I cant find any way to map the rover controls to an 360 pad. Help?

Which controls exactly?

My x55 has vanished from the AFBW GUI, what gives?

Bummer :( Check if Windows still recognizes it and if it does, you can try an older AFBW version (maybe 1.2.1), maybe I broke something :)

Please report back, I want to fix this if it's a mod issue.

Mac version please (with cherries on top)!

I have a linux/ macosx version working locally, hopefully I will be able to release it sometime this weekend.

Edited by nlight

I apologize for the odious question-before-trying-myself, but maybe someone made the experience and could save me the hassle:

Does this mod work well with Saitek drivers (specifically for Cyborg X aka FLY5 joystick)?

Why I ask: there is some compatibility issue between KSP/Unity and Saitek drivers (don't know if for all or only specific joysticks) that causes noticeable (>500ms) input lag. I have a Cyborg X (Saitek FLY 5) joystick and see the same problem (on Win 7 64-bit, with both 32 and 64-bit KSP). I had to uninstall the Saitek driver as a work-around - when Win uses the built-in generic joystick drivers, all is well (but I lose all the customization options from the official drivers, effectively halving the number of usable keys).

If this mod can accept the Saitek driver input without introducing input lag like KSP does, I'd be so happy. Before I try it out myself I wanted to ask the community though, because completely removing the once-installed Saitek driver from Windows is a huge hassle.

I apologize for the odious question-before-trying-myself, but maybe someone made the experience and could save me the hassle:

Does this mod work well with Saitek drivers (specifically for Cyborg X aka FLY5 joystick)?

Why I ask: there is some compatibility issue between KSP/Unity and Saitek drivers (don't know if for all or only specific joysticks) that causes noticeable (>500ms) input lag. I have a Cyborg X (Saitek FLY 5) joystick and see the same problem (on Win 7 64-bit, with both 32 and 64-bit KSP). I had to uninstall the Saitek driver as a work-around - when Win uses the built-in generic joystick drivers, all is well (but I lose all the customization options from the official drivers, effectively halving the number of usable keys).

If this mod can accept the Saitek driver input without introducing input lag like KSP does, I'd be so happy. Before I try it out myself I wanted to ask the community though, because completely removing the once-installed Saitek driver from Windows is a huge hassle.

I have received reports that Saitek drivers work properly with AFBW, so you should be fine :)

Please notify me if anything is wrong.

I still cannot get the mod to work. I am running W7 x64. These are the results of testing Vanilla versions of KSP:

AFBW x86 on KSP x86 - Crash

AFBW x86 on KSP x64 - Crash

AFBW x64 on KSP x86 - No GUI

AFBW x64 on KSP x64 - No GUI

Any ideas?

Bummer :( Check if Windows still recognizes it and if it does, you can try an older AFBW version (maybe 1.2.1), maybe I broke something :)

Please report back, I want to fix this if it's a mod issue.

Yeah windows lists both stick and throttle in game controllers, dxdiag as well, tried 1.2.1 and 1.0, neither shows anything but mouse and keyboard :\

Not sure if relevant or not but recent versions don't retain their skin setting either, where does the plugin store it's settings? Might be corrupt or something.

Edited by K3|Chris

You sir win the award for 'best KSP mod ever'.

I can actually use my joystick now! I'd been using a virtual joystick driver in order to get calibrated input, but it was flaky.

A few improvements though:

1) you need to be able to set axis deadzones within the mod gui, rather than having to edit the cfg

2) you need to be able to adjust axis sensitivity, again within the gui

3) you need to be able to manually select axis. For me the automatic 'move axis to select' doesn't work as it always picks axis0, forcing me to edit the cfg

4) It'd be great if the mod button let you quickly and easily see/switch presets without opening the full config window. I see I can bind a key to cycle presets, which is great, however it annoyingly cycles to 'new preset', then stops. I'd love a simple icon of a rocket or plane able to be assigned to my presets so I can see which I'm using without cycling.

Anyway, like I said earlier, great mod. I've just spent half an hour flying around the ksp mountains at 10m just because I could.

I ran into this problem, too. It looks like the axis settings are sensitive to ordering in the config file. I was able to fix it by doing this:

1. Find GameData\ksp-advanced-flybywire\advanced_flybywire_config_v11.xml and open it in a plain text editor (Notepad will do).

2. Scroll down to the collection of <KeyValuePairOfContinuousActionKeyValuePairOfBitsetInt32> elements.

3. If you have multiple entries with the same inner Value (in my case, two 0 values for my left stick X axis), make sure the one with a zero SingleData (meaning no held buttons) comes before the one with a nonzero SingleData (in my case, 128 for my RB). I sorted that whole section of the file, first by inner Value, then by SingleData.

4. Save and launch KSP.

this fixed it thanks!

You sir win the award for 'best KSP mod ever'.

I can actually use my joystick now! I'd been using a virtual joystick driver in order to get calibrated input, but it was flaky.

A few improvements though:

1) you need to be able to set axis deadzones within the mod gui, rather than having to edit the cfg

2) you need to be able to adjust axis sensitivity, again within the gui

3) you need to be able to manually select axis. For me the automatic 'move axis to select' doesn't work as it always picks axis0, forcing me to edit the cfg

4) It'd be great if the mod button let you quickly and easily see/switch presets without opening the full config window. I see I can bind a key to cycle presets, which is great, however it annoyingly cycles to 'new preset', then stops. I'd love a simple icon of a rocket or plane able to be assigned to my presets so I can see which I'm using without cycling.

Anyway, like I said earlier, great mod. I've just spent half an hour flying around the ksp mountains at 10m just because I could.

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback, you're great! :)

For 1 and 3 you should really be using the 'Calibrate' option in controller settings, this should solve both issues.

2 is a bit problematic due to how KSP expects inputs in the range of -1..1, so increasing sensitivity will lead to less precision :( I will see what I'm willing to do about this.

4) This sounds great, I will definitely implement it for the next version :)

I still cannot get the mod to work. I am running W7 x64. These are the results of testing Vanilla versions of KSP:

AFBW x86 on KSP x86 - Crash

AFBW x86 on KSP x64 - Crash

AFBW x64 on KSP x86 - No GUI

AFBW x64 on KSP x64 - No GUI

Any ideas?

Issue here, too - I do see "purple square" in toolbar instead of an icon, when I click on it I get an empty window. That's it. Same behavior for x64 and x86 mod versions in KSPx86.

Issue here, too - I do see "purple square" in toolbar instead of an icon, when I click on it I get an empty window. That's it. Same behavior for x64 and x86 mod versions in KSPx86.

Please make sure that you're actually copying all the files from the archive (everything in GameData/ + SDL2.dll + XInputInterface.dll) and overwrite any conflicts. This sounds either like you're missing some part of the Toolbar mod or one of the DLLs. Also please try the KerbalStuff release.

Make sure that SDL2.dll and XInputInterface.dll are in KSP's root folder (where KSP.exe is) and not in GameData!

Edited by nlight

Please make sure that you're actually copying all the files from the archive (everything in GameData/ + SDL2.dll + XInputInterface.dll) and overwrite any conflicts. This sounds either like you're missing some part of the Toolbar mod or one of the DLLs. Also please try the KerbalStuff release.

Make sure that SDL2.dll and XInputInterface.dll are in KSP's root folder (where KSP.exe is) and not in GameData!

Done that. Does not help.

Done that. Does not help.

This is bad, please help me fix it :) Could you follow the bug report steps in the main post and provide me with at least an output_log.txt?

Thanks for testing and reporting, I really appreciate it!

Silly question, x86/x64 AFBW versions are for x86/x64 KSP, not windows, right?

Oh and I've tested AFBW 1.2.1, 1.2.2 and 1.0 on a completely virgin .25 install, only keyboard and mouse, I guess next I should connect my 360 pad to see if it's specifically my HOTAS setup.

Edited by K3|Chris

Silly question, x86/x64 AFBW versions are for x86/x64 KSP, not windows, right?

Oh and I've tested AFBW 1.2.1, 1.2.2 and 1.0 on a completely virgin .25 install, only keyboard and mouse, I guess next I should connect my 360 pad to see if it's specifically my HOTAS setup.

It's not a silly question, I should have specified this somewhere. The difference between AFBW x86 and x64 is only in the native dll's - SDL2 and XInputInterface and linkage. What this means is that the x86 verson should work on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows/ KSP combo. The x64 version works only on a 64-bit Windows _and_ 64-bit KSP.

On your issue - it's very surprising that your controller disappeared like that given that I have not made any significant changes to the input detection code since several releases. If you are willing we can talk over IRC or something and debug the problem, since I may not be able to get a hold of this particular controller right now. Message me if you're interested :)

This is bad, please help me fix it :) Could you follow the bug report steps in the main post and provide me with at least an output_log.txt?

Thanks for testing and reporting, I really appreciate it!

I'm the guy with the same problem. Here is the bug report:

* When pressing Shift + L or pressing the "gamepad button" on the toolbar, the game crashes.

* Running KSP 0.25 x84

* Using AFBW 1.2.2 x84 downloaded of the link in the first post.

* ksp-advanced-flybywire_v11.xml: http://dpaste.com/35R420W

* Controller: Top Gun Fox 2 Pro

* GameData Screenshot: http://imgur.com/QdZxuUm

* output_log.txt: http://pastebin.com/9yaLFnrT (dpaste decided to not work anymore)

Edited by Cerbero

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback, you're great! :)

For 1 and 3 you should really be using the 'Calibrate' option in controller settings, this should solve both issues.

2 is a bit problematic due to how KSP expects inputs in the range of -1..1, so increasing sensitivity will lead to less precision :( I will see what I'm willing to do about this.

4) This sounds great, I will definitely implement it for the next version :)

Hey,

With regards to 1 &3, unfortunately the very first thing I did was calibrate my stick; it didn't help. I did notice the config file had values for the deadzone, but they were way to small. For my rudder I had to bump it up to 0.2. It could just be my stick is a little old and loose when centred, but other than that, and being very sensitive it's fine. With regards to sensitivity I actually wanted to reduce it, not increase it. I was thinking an option like you have linear/squared where its just less sensitive closer to the centre. I kind of assumed that's what the squared mode did, but it seemed to make it even more sensitive for me...

Hey,

With regards to 1 &3, unfortunately the very first thing I did was calibrate my stick; it didn't help. I did notice the config file had values for the deadzone, but they were way to small. For my rudder I had to bump it up to 0.2. It could just be my stick is a little old and loose when centred, but other than that, and being very sensitive it's fine. With regards to sensitivity I actually wanted to reduce it, not increase it. I was thinking an option like you have linear/squared where its just less sensitive closer to the centre. I kind of assumed that's what the squared mode did, but it seemed to make it even more sensitive for me...

Could you send me your ksp-advanced-flybywire_v11.xml just after you've used the Calibrate option. I should be able to fix this. I will also put GUI controls for deadzone and sensitivity in the next version.

The quadratic interpolation provides a lot of precision at the beginning of the range, what you want is inverse quadratic, which I will also implement.

Thanks again for contributing to the development of this mod :)

I'm the guy with the same problem. Here is the bug report:

* When pressing Shift + L or pressing the "gamepad button" on the toolbar, the game crashes.

* Running KSP 0.25 x84

* Using AFBW 1.2.2 x84 downloaded of the link in the first post.

* ksp-advanced-flybywire_v11.xml: http://dpaste.com/35R420W

* Controller: Top Gun Fox 2 Pro

* GameData Screenshot: http://imgur.com/QdZxuUm

* output_log.txt: http://pastebin.com/9yaLFnrT (dpaste decided to not work anymore)

This is very strange indeed. Seems the crash is coming from the XInput wrapper, is it possible that you don't have DirectX installed?