[1.1] AFBW v1.7-beta (Joystick & controller mod)

nlight

I use an x360 controller also and sadly this is a limitation of the controller itself (the triggers are wired as one axis).

Shucks! I fixed it via a kOS script, but it means that those scripts are only partially compatible with keyboard operation. I have a full right trigger now, but on the keyboard the throttle only starts working when I go past half throttle. I am not using the left trigger at all. Additional bonus is that I can remap the pitch and the roll without having to change the configuration every time I switch between aircraft and rockets (though I am not sure your mod might do the same).

That being said, the controller provides a lot more control, so maybe its time to pick one.

I may be able to work around this somehow, thanks for the idea, I'll look into it.

That would be interesting :)

having to change the configuration every time I switch between aircraft and rockets (though I am not sure your mod might do the same)

That's what AFBW presets are for :) I currenly have several presets configured on my local install - Rocket, Plane, Docking, EVA, Rover.

Bad glitch to report!!!!!

This mod disables SAS for me. I've tried singling out the mod that has been breaking SAS for me, and it comes down to this. As handy as it is, I need SAS more. The other SAS features such as prograde hold, etc. work just fine, it's just the actual stability option that is broken. Flying without stability with FAR impossible unless you have you have a perfect plane.

Summary: This mod disables the use of stability (SAS). Other versions of SAS work, but not the stability one.

Bad glitch to report!!!!!

This mod disables SAS for me. I've tried singling out the mod that has been breaking SAS for me, and it comes down to this. As handy as it is, I need SAS more. The other SAS features such as prograde hold, etc. work just fine, it's just the actual stability option that is broken. Flying without stability with FAR impossible unless you have you have a perfect plane.

Summary: This mod disables the use of stability (SAS). Other versions of SAS work, but not the stability one.

Yes, sorry! This is a very nasty bug that I hadn't forseen due to the 0.90 changes, version 1.4.1 is out now that fixes it. Thank you for the feedback.

Edited by nlight

Hi Nlight,

I appreciate this mod for sure, but I am apparently having an issue. I recall on the previous page that someone mentioned about the Cyborg X/Saitek drivers having issues with KSP. I have used my joystick for a bit, not realizing that the delay was indeed a driver conflict. It was my hope that this mod would solve that, but I am unable to get the mod to detect the joystick while in the flight scene. I can control the example pod I have on the pad with the normal controls and delay, but the mod apparently does not see the joystick at all. I have plugged it in a few times just to check if it will register and it apparently never does.

I can see the mod itself, select the keyboard/mouse entry, even see the values updating as I move the mouse. If I have to do what was suggested before (removing the Saitek driver) I will, just wanted to know if you'd experienced this with any Saitek reports.

As a side-note, when I unplug/replug it up, the default controls will not rotate the pod/etc with the joystick, but the throttle still works (which is odd).

EDIT: Unfortunately the attempt to get windows to use its drivers failed. The joystick just doesn't work without the Saitek drivers in Windows 8.1.

Edited by Quiana

Since the last update, I can't find -Yaw (or negative any axis) in the list of available mappings, and therefore cannot use my previous mapping with the new version, which is a huge pain in the ass. Was it removed?

Yes, sorry! This is a very nasty bug that I hadn't forseen due to the 0.90 changes, version 1.4.1 is out now that fixes it. Thank you for the feedback.

Holy crap that was fast! This is great stuff, cheers for making this mod :D

Edit: So, I just gave this a test, and the SAS is extremely restrictive over my controls.. I can only obtain like 1/3rd the potential roll/pitch/yaw, but when I disable SAS, it works fine... For example, If I try to roll -1, the roll icon only shows like -0.3/1 (you know, the roll/pitch/yaw gauges?).

Here is more detail on the problem:

If I go 1 yaw (yaw right), it goes 1 yaw then quickly degrades down to roughly 0.25 or 0.3 yaw, instead of maintaining the 1 yaw. This only occurs with SAS on. Throttle is unaffected by this. If I go -1 pitch (pull back), it does the same thing as the yaw, but get this.. Because my plane is tail-heavy, the engine rests on the runway if I do -1 pitch (as in it tilts back): As soon as the engine touches the runway, or any other part prevents SAS from acting or gives it resistance, it goes straight back to -1 pitch. Same with the roll and the yaw. Here is a video of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BimKq8FDIU4

I hope I gave you enough information to help you. If I can do anything to help you further, just ask. I'll regularly check back :)

If this is an intended feature, then just skip over this xD

Edited by Xenro66
Found an error in the mod.

Since the last update, I can't find -Yaw (or negative any axis) in the list of available mappings, and therefore cannot use my previous mapping with the new version, which is a huge pain in the ass. Was it removed?

Hey, the Negative versions of axes got removed because now each binding can be inverted by itself (the new Invert checkbox in the preset editor). Does your setup require something more complex that the negative axis bindings solved? Like binding the same action e.g. Yaw to two different joystick axes? I wasn't aware of any such setups but I have a solution in mind if you need this.

Edit: So, I just gave this a test, and the SAS is extremely restrictive over my controls.. I can only obtain like 1/3rd the potential roll/pitch/yaw, but when I disable SAS, it works fine... For example, If I try to roll -1, the roll icon only shows like -0.3/1 (you know, the roll/pitch/yaw gauges?).

Hey, this is just another regression caused by the 0.90 changes that I didn't want to rush a fix for (because I'm not sure what else will break). The next version will solve this in one way or another. Thank you so much for the feedback, I will deliver on this asap!

Hi Nlight,

I can see the mod itself, select the keyboard/mouse entry, even see the values updating as I move the mouse. If I have to do what was suggested before (removing the Saitek driver) I will, just wanted to know if you'd experienced this with any Saitek reports.

Hey, I'm afraid the issue isn't the Saitek drivers, AFBW works just fine with them. It seems that AFBW just doesn't detect some controllers on Windows 8.1. This is probably a bug in SDL (the library I use to get inputs). I will look into this again and see if I can fix it without major changes. If all else fails, I'll implement the new DirectInput API that comes with Windows 8.1 which should solve this issue. Thank you for your patience :)

Hey, the Negative versions of axes got removed because now each binding can be inverted by itself (the new Invert checkbox in the preset editor). Does your setup require something more complex that the negative axis bindings solved? Like binding the same action e.g. Yaw to two different joystick axes? I wasn't aware of any such setups but I have a solution in mind if you need this.

My setup is, on an X360 pad.

• left stick, pitch/roll
  • right stick, trans y/trans x
  • triggers, yaw+ & yaw-
  • DPad vertical, inc throttle & trans Z
  • assorted button bindings.

With this setup I can control every type of craft without switching bindings, using docking mode or any other superfluous actions.

If your solution is CFG editing, cool, but that's just what I was doing with the stock game, and I installed this mod to get away from that. I don't see the logic in taking away options from a mod that's sole purpose is to provide versatility.

If your solution is CFG editing, cool, but that's just what I was doing with the stock game, and I installed this mod to get away from that. I don't see the logic in taking away options from a mod that's sole purpose is to provide versatility.

Hey, I think I can just allow duplicate axis bindings (so you can add Yaw twice, one will be inverted) and this will work again for you :) I will do this tonight when I get home and release a new version hopefully fixing the latest SAS bug also.

*SNIP*

Hey, I'm afraid the issue isn't the Saitek drivers, AFBW works just fine with them. It seems that AFBW just doesn't detect some controllers on Windows 8.1. This is probably a bug in SDL (the library I use to get inputs). I will look into this again and see if I can fix it without major changes. If all else fails, I'll implement the new DirectInput API that comes with Windows 8.1 which should solve this issue. Thank you for your patience :)

Thanks a bunch, I'll be looking forward to the update. Let me know if you need me to test out on 8.1 as well, as the input delay does irritate me (as well as the odd way that KSP doesn't read the throttle 100% correctly). If I go around 20-40% it will 'flick' to zero and back, and around the 60-70% range as well. Makes it hard to set a precise throttle, I'm hoping this is just a KSP bug (as I do not notice it occurring during Windows controller testing).

Hey, I think I can just allow duplicate axis bindings (so you can add Yaw twice, one will be inverted) and this will work again for you :) I will do this tonight when I get home and release a new version hopefully fixing the latest SAS bug also.

That seems like a good solution. I'll try to test it as extensively as I can and report back. thanks :)

So version 1.4.2 is out. Changes:

- Hopefully fully adapted to the 0.90 changes

- SAS should work fine in all cases now

- Negative versions of Yaw, Pitch, Roll, X, Y, Z are back

Giving this a test now. Hopefully it should work! :D

Edit: It's working fine now. But there's still one minor problem:

When you give an input from the keyboard with SAS on, it normally overrides the SAS on that channel, and leaves the other ones.. But for some reason, it takes quite a lot of stick movement (using an RC Transmitter) in order to get the SAS to actually disable and let me turn. It does allow me to turn very slowly, but it suddenly snaps to the correct input after a certain point. I can live with it, but it's a bit irritating.

Don't feel obliged to change this though, I'm only giving you feedback :)

Edited by Xenro66

On linux (this may be true for other OS's as well) every time I accidently start my game without the controller on, it resets the config completely so that I have to completely redo the config over again. I've got around it by backing up the xml file...but it is still annoying...is there any way to fix that?

On linux (this may be true for other OS's as well) every time I accidently start my game without the controller on, it resets the config completely so that I have to completely redo the config over again. I've got around it by backing up the xml file...but it is still annoying...is there any way to fix that?

Hey, I didn't know about this issue. This is most likely easily fixable, so I'll look into it soon, thanks for the report!

Awesome mod! It actually made me dust off the old Thrustmaster Cougar and buy a set of rudder pedals! Having said that, I ran into two snags. Is it possible to bind the Cycle Preset key to cycle presets on other controllers as well? As a plane and rocket mode, I switch out yaw and roll. But it only changes the preset of my stick, since that is the only one that has buttons.

Also, would it be possible to bind the same function to different keys? The Cougar throttle has a speedbrake slider (one side is latching and the other is momentary) and I would like to bind them both to the brakes.

nlight I'm running into a problem with the .90 linux build

Every time I engage an input using the AFBW menu (whether it be the keyboard or my connected PS4 controller) it causes my EVA kerbals to completely freak out. The EVA'd kerbal sometimes spins uncontrollably, sometimes it will sway back and forth, either way it makes it uncontrollable. This bug has no effect on my ship or spaceplane maneuvers.

I'm not sure if its interacting with mouse input or something, but I have tried changing deadzones on the controller and changing the "follow Camera" EVA option in settings...and the only thing that stops the shaking and erratic movement of the EVA is turning off all AFBW inputs. Any ideas? This is a must use mod for me and I'd like to get it to work!

Edit: I reverted to the 1.3 build and the problem is gone...but I need the invert controls from 1.4....:(

Edited by jstnj

I'm not sure if its interacting with mouse input or something, but I have tried changing deadzones on the controller and changing the "follow Camera" EVA option in settings...and the only thing that stops the shaking and erratic movement of the EVA is turning off all AFBW inputs. Any ideas? This is a must use mod for me and I'd like to get it to work!.:(

This is most likely a regression in our EVA code, it's all reverse engineered from KSP's code because Squad didn't give us any way to do it properly. I will inform ddaf who wrote this part and I hope we'll fix it for the next build. Thanks for the feedback!

Anyone else having issues seeing the main config screen? When I click the controller icon all i get is this:

http://s3.postimg.org/4o6us3i1r/screenshot0.jpg

This is probably something really simple (like SDL or XInput DLLs missing from KSP's root folder). If you give me your output_log.txt I can definitely pinpoint the issue.

Awesome mod! It actually made me dust off the old Thrustmaster Cougar and buy a set of rudder pedals! Having said that, I ran into two snags. Is it possible to bind the Cycle Preset key to cycle presets on other controllers as well? As a plane and rocket mode, I switch out yaw and roll. But it only changes the preset of my stick, since that is the only one that has buttons.

Also, would it be possible to bind the same function to different keys? The Cougar throttle has a speedbrake slider (one side is latching and the other is momentary) and I would like to bind them both to the brakes.

The first issue is easily solvable and will most likely appear in one of the next versions, the second will require quite a bit of changes to AFBW's code, but I really want this to happen sooner or later so I guess expect it as well.

Edited by nlight

I'm having an issue that I don't see on the issue tracker where AFBP seems to be staging my rocket while I'm in warp if I hit the button assigned to the Staging command. I've created a completely new clean install of KSP and only installed AFBW. I'm running the latest 32-bit version of KSP 0.90 with AFBW version 1.4.2_x86. I've tried plugging and unplugging the controller without effect.

My controller setup is a Saitek X52 HOTAS. I have a mini joystick attached to a Logitech G13 Gaming Pad, but I don't use it in KSP.

To reproduce the issue:

1. Go to Sandbox (it also occurs in Career) and create a multi-stage rocket. I made a simple 3-stage rocket attached to a stability enhancer, as shown in the screenshots.

2. Go to the launchpad.

3. In the AFWB dialog, go to Presets.

4. Click on Add Button and select Stage

5. Click a button on the joystick to assign it.

6. Close the AFWB dialog.

7. Advance the warp to 2x.

8. Press the button on the joystick assigned to staging.

The rocket will stay completely motionless while the stability enhancer disappears. Further clicking of the button will make each subsequent stage disappear until the final stage is left. If you then set warp back to 1x, the rocket will then proceed to act as if nothing but still without the other stages.

The images can be seen in here.

The AFBW mod configuration file can be accessed here.

The output_log.txt file can be accessed here.

I haven't posted much before but I do want to add that this mod has been awesome and has finally made it possible to play KSP as I want. Thank you so much for all the effort you've put into this.

Edited by Movado
Forgot to put .2 after the AFBW version number.

This mod is awesome and it makes flying in NEAR/FAR a pleasure rather than a chore. I do have a question on what other people's setups are on twin-stick controllers.

Currently I have it setup that (On a PS2 controller)

Right stick is pitch/roll

Left stick is yaw

R2/L2 is throttle control

Square is SAS toggle

Triangle is Gear toggle

Circle is Brake toggle

Everything else is unbound and I can't figure out what to make them, other than L1/R1 cycling through presets. I tried looking up controller setups for console flight game/sims with limited success and would love some suggestions, especially on what to do about the vertical axis on the left stick. Hmm, maybe make it vertical translation and the D-pad the other translations? That might cause issues during docking. =\

Anyone else having issues seeing the main config screen? When I click the controller icon all i get is this:

http://s3.postimg.org/4o6us3i1r/screenshot0.jpg

I'm getting that same problem. No controls accessible in the window. And it does appear to be a missing libSDL

[LOG 07:32:51.668] Assembly:ksp-advanced-flybywire, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[EXC 07:32:51.692] DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.0.so.0
KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.InitializeSDL ()
KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.SDLUpdateState ()
KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.AdvancedFlyByWire.Update ()

I'm not sure why it says v1.1.0.0; according to CKAN, I have v1.4.2 installed.

EDIT: Just realised that the cKAN installation is not sufficient. libsdl2-2.0-0 also needs to be installed. I'll try with that.

EDIT 2: "sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0-0" did the trick. Don't know what the comments about libsdl2 being in the KSP directory are about. Maybe a Windows thing?

Edited by politas
Solved!

I'm having an issue that I don't see on the issue tracker where AFBP seems to be staging my rocket while I'm in warp if I hit the button assigned to the Staging command. I've created a completely new clean install of KSP and only installed AFBW. I'm running the latest 32-bit version of KSP 0.90 with AFBW version 1.4.2_x86. I've tried plugging and unplugging the controller without effect.

Hey, thanks for catching this, I guess they removed the code that checks whether you're time- warping so this doesn't bug out. Should be a simple fix.

Alrighty here you go: output_log.txt

Hey, this seems like a borked AFBW installation. Here are the steps to fix it:

1. (only if you're using CKAN) Uninstall AFBW through CKAN

2. (only if you've installed manually) From KSP's root folder - delete SDL2.dll, XInputInterface.dll, from GameData delete the ksp-advanced-flybywire folder

3. Reinstall AFBW either through CKAN or manually

4. Verify! SDL2.dll and XInputInterface.dll should be in KSP's root folder (next to KSP.exe). The GameData/ksp-advanced-flybywire folder should contain these files: ksp-advanced-flybywire.dll, XInputDotNetPure.dll, toolbar_btn.png

5. Test in KSP and report back