What home cooked meals do you eat?

goduranus

Ok, I'm Chinese descent and my meals at home had been mostly Chinese styled stir fry, recently with some western dish sprinkled in. It nonetheless got boring long ago. So I'm asking around to get some fresh ideas. What home cooked meals do you eat?

For me, last week was these things:

Monday - Chinese black-bean paste noodles

Tuesday - Carrot + chicken liver stir fry, sesame butter steamed eggplant as cold dish, rice

Wednesday - Chicken pot pie

Thursday - Tofu + mince pork stir fry, Garlic and steam broccoli as cold dish, rice

Friday - Chinese styled braised pork with potatoes + seaweeds + eggs, rice

Saturday - Oven baked chicken drumsticks

Sunday - Ate out, sushi, previously Japanese chicken hot pot

Edited by goduranus

We rarely eat out in my family, almost all of our meals are home cooked. Some of our staples:

Spaghetti and meatballs.

Roast chicken and steamed veggies.

Macaroni and cheese (homemade, not Kraft dinner)

BBQ hamburgers (patties made from scratch)

BBQ steak

Bacon and eggs (breakfast for supper is one of my favorites)

Slow cooked pork

Chicken or pork stir fry

We do bulk preparation of some of these and freeze portions for easy meals on workdays.

egg and spam
egg, spam and saussage
spam, spam and spam
spam and saussage and spam

:P

It's mostly a combination with cooked, fried or baked potatoes, cooked rice, cooked or baked chicken, sometimes pork, beef, cooked spinach, grilled or cooked white fish, cooked peas, spaghetti bolognese, cooked cauliflower, carrot, all kinds of prepared chicken eggs, rarely classical lasagna, .... and a random soup, which I don't really like that much but it's good to have few times a week.

None.

When I was at uni I used to cook a fair bit, but after a day in the office I don't want to be messing around in the kitchen, so I just stick a couple of ready meals in the oven. Half an hour later and dinner's ready.

Seriously? Every day?

Let's see...

Meatloaf, Spaghetti, Home-cooked bread (Cheaper than store-bought and MUCH tastier), Fried Potatoes and Onions seasoned with Garlic, Salt and Pepper, Almost any soup that has a tomato puree/juice base and doesn't contain a lot of vegetables (For some reason, I don't know why, I get terribly nauseous if a soup has too many vegetables), Coleslaw, and Macaroni Salad.

None.

When I was at uni I used to cook a fair bit, but after a day in the office I don't want to be messing around in the kitchen, so I just stick a couple of ready meals in the oven. Half an hour later and dinner's ready.

Most of the time you can make a crockpot stew/soup and leave it while you go to work. With the right recipe by the time you're home all you have to do is turn the thing off and spoon the food out. Or you can make a lot of a soup, stew, or anything that you like over the weekend and eat what you made for the rest of the week. If it's something like a pasta with tomato sauce just be sure to mix in the sauce and any seasonings that you like to put on, otherwise your pasta will get "glued" together into a big mass.

Aren't you worried about your health. Ready meals are not known for a balanced contents, they are often rich in fat and salt while essential vitamins, minerals and other stuff is lacking. I mean, eating some once in a while is really not an issue, but when this stuff dominates your diet it might very well be.

Of course, there might be some other issues too, such as that frozen and prepared foods are linked to increased cancer rates, but I am not even talking about that.

Very rarely buy any processed foods except filled pasta, although we do quite often have sausages from our local butchers. On the rare occasion I do eat any processed food I usually find it very salty.

Stuff we regularly cook includes bolagnase, lasagne, tomato/veg based pasta sauces, soups, chilli, fajitas, currys, roasts, grilled meats and fish, stir frys .... all sorts really. Plus I make my own bread and the mrs makes a few jams and chutneys.

Nearly every meal i eat is home cooked:

Mexican casserole, meatloaf, hamburgers, tacos, spaghetti & meatballs, lasagna, pizza, runzas, kielbasa with sauerkraut and potato dumplings, chow mein, meat pie, baked beans. (And those are just my favorites)

I actually don't remember the last time when i went out to eat.

Nearly every meal i eat is home cooked:

Mexican casserole, meatloaf, hamburgers, tacos, spaghetti & meatballs, lasagna, pizza, runzas, kielbasa with sauerkraut and potato dumplings, chow mein, meat pie, baked beans. (And those are just my favorites)

I actually don't remember the last time when i went out to eat.

Please tell me you're using actual sauerkraut and not the cabbage in water stuffed into a tincan that they sell at the big box stores. I like Sauerkraut with chunks of cooked smoked sausage or cooked ham myself.

Edited by Flymetothemun

I make everything (except bread and pasta) from scratch. I've been told I should open my own restaurant, and was offered a job as a chef at one, so I'm pretty sure I make pretty good food. I experiment a lot with chicken, but when it comes to beef I'm pretty straight forward - burgers, steaks, tacos/fajitas, pasties, and pulled BBQ. I don't eat pork, and fish while I like, stinks up the house.

everything i eat is home cooked. im getting good at fried chicken, better than the colonel. do my own sketty and 'balls, meatloaf too. ive been known to bake my own bread. did a lot of chili awhile back when i still had venison in the freezer. fresh fish, where the recipe starts with putting a worm on a hook. ive been known to dart squirrels and fry em up too, good eats then tree rats. chicken fried steak recently became a standard. i make my own tortillas, corn and flour, since i love mexican food. i can also do some asian stuff too, stir frys and fried rice. i make great corn fritters and onion rings. then anything that can be cooked on a grill. id say steak, but i normally just walk it through the kitchen.

I made omelets for the family maybe 5 years ago. I think that's the last time I cooked anything from scratch. Kid's grown up and moved away; wife's a professor who has night classes to teach; I'm disabled and can only stand comfortably for a couple of minutes. Practically everything I eat comes out of the microwave, except frozen pizza. For that, we have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-03430-Pizzazz-Plus-Rotating/dp/B00005IBXJ

...which actually makes frozen pizza taste like real food. :)

convection ovens are pretty cool. i was house sitting/installing drywall for a guy while he was off in china. the kitchen was a mess and the range wasnt hooked up yet. but he had a convection oven. about the size of a microwave without all the horrible food coming out of it. i wouldn't mind having one of those if i had room for another kitchen gadget.

MINI-SAUSAGES. SO GOOD.

(No, not that type of sausage! The FOOD!)

Only baby-man eat miniature sausage. Big strongman eat full size sausage. To become big strongman you must eat full size sausage. If not, you shall upset motherland and bring shame to entire family for all of eternity! EAT FULL SIZE SAUSAGES TO HELP GLORIOUS COMRADES ENGAGED IN WAR! EAT FULL SIZE SAUSAGES FOR MOTHERLAND!

Edited by Flymetothemun

convection ovens are pretty cool. i was house sitting/installing drywall for a guy while he was off in china. the kitchen was a mess and the range wasnt hooked up yet. but he had a convection oven. about the size of a microwave without all the horrible food coming out of it. i wouldn't mind having one of those if i had room for another kitchen gadget.

We've got a combi microwave. It's really good for whipping up stuff for one. Stick it into convection oven mode and it'll cook bread or baked potatoes much more quickly and efficiently than using the full-sized oven.

Aren't all ovens convection ovens these days though? Can't remember the last time I saw an electric oven that wasn't.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.