[1.1.2] FreeEVA 0.6.1

taniwha

freeeva.jpg

This is a very simple plugin to allow control of KSP's automatic orientation of the kerbal to always face away from the camera with the kerbal's head pointed camera-up (North? +norm for Orbital, +rad for Free). As a result, getting onto a ladder in orbit can go from frustratingly nigh-on impossible to mildly confusing until one gets used to the freedom.

Note that is this plugin does nothing other than toggle the EVA_ROTATE_ON_MOVE, all issues with EVA controls lie solely with KSP itself. However, toggling the mode in the vicinity of a ladder or hatch may have unintended consequences.

To toggle the mode, simply press LeftAlt-F (this applies to Linux users, too (I am one)). The current status will be displayed for about three seconds in green in the upper center of the screen (like timewarp).

Review of EVA controls (well known controls included for completeness):

• LeftAlt-F: Toggle free EVA mode (added by this mod)
  • F: Interact with ladders/hatches.
  • L: Toggle helmet lights.
  • R: Toggle RCS (RCS must be on for /any/ of the following to work)
  • W/S: Move forward/back
  • A/D: Move left/right
  • Q/E: Turn left/right (does not work when walking)
  • left mouse button drag: trackball-rotate
  • Space: Reset the kerbal's orientation: facing away from the camera with the kerbal's head pointing up. Also let go of a ladder or jump.
  •  

Download: FreeEVA v0.6.1.

Source code (GPL): github.

Issue tracker: issues

Changes:

0.6.1:

• Actually remove the Win64 KSP lockout. Oops.

0.6.0:

• Updated for KSP 1.1.2
  • Win64 KSP lockout removed.

0.5.2:

• Fix an NRE when Blizzy's toolbar is not installed.

0.5.1:

• Update version check for KSP 1.0.2.
  • Ignore changes in the revision.

0.5.0:

• Update version check for KSP 1.0.
  • Revert the external science experiments change of 0.4.0 as it is no longer needed because KSP itself now supports it (for scientists).

0.4.0:

• Allow science experiments to be run by a kerbal on EVA. Useful for collecting science from debris. (The "Deploy" is stock and only opens/closes the experiment).

0.3.0:

• Update for 0.90.
  • Add optional blizzy toolbar support.
  • The actual key used with Alt to toggle FreeEVA is now configurable. The default is F, and no config file is included, but it's easy enough to create (see below). Note that LeftAlt is non-negotiable (unless somebody sends me a patch).

0.2.1 (not released, it seems):

• Fix an internal naming issue. Very minor.

0.2.0:

• Update for KSP 0.25
  • Changing scenes does not reset the control state.

Creating a config file:

Recommended path name is FreeEVA/FreeEVA.cfg, but just about anywhere in GameData will work:

FreeEVASettings {
    Toggle_KeyCode = F
}

Edited by taniwha

Thourion: not quite. This completely frees the kerbal from the camera orientation. This allows you to orient your kerbal as needed and then maneuver without the kerbal snapping back to the camera's frame. I have had a few rather rare instances where getting a kerbal onto a ladder was very difficult in either Orbital or Free mode: the ladder was just wrong for both.

...This allows you to orient your kerbal as needed and then maneuver without the kerbal snapping back to the camera's frame...

Aha now i get it! Yeah my mind does a few trips to EVE and stays there from time to time :)

Anyhow, good idea for a plugin, Cheers !

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really understand why people are implementing this compatibility check and then disabling it for 64bit. I understand letting people know that you offer no support for it or maybe flagging them with a message letting them know the mod may be unstable and is not support for 64bit. But disabling it completely is pointless and very annoying. I really enjoy this mod and many others that have been recently including this method and it is a pain to go through and recompile everything to disable that check. Thank you for this awesome mod and sorry for my rant.

JeffersonFlight: It is intended to be annoying, because people ignoring warnings, insisting on using an unstable platform and then blaming mods for their problems is not just annoying, but extremely stressful and discouraging.

I do understand your rant. I hope you can understand the position of us modders. It is highly unfortunate that a bunch of bad apples have spoiled things for everyone.

JeffersonFlight: It is intended to be annoying, because people ignoring warnings, insisting on using an unstable platform and then blaming mods for their problems is not just annoying, but extremely stressful and discouraging.

I do understand your rant. I hope you can understand the position of us modders. It is highly unfortunate that a bunch of bad apples have spoiled things for everyone.

I completely understand, I myself have dealt with some of it while providing unofficial support for KAS. I do agree that it is an extreme distraction from the true problems for modders when they are flooded with misguided bug reports. Thank you for this wonderful mod and the time and effort you put forth to make this awesome mod, and again sorry for my rant :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hmm, normally chase-cam uses the vessel's orientation for the camera's reference frame, and kerbal's are vessels. If it doesn't work with an EVA kerbal, I guess the handling of the kerbal's part is special (ie, the part rotates relative to the vessel rather than the vessel itself rotating).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.