Constant crashing during Revert Flight

KSP: v0.24.2.559 Win32 Career Mode

PC: Compaq laptop, Intel T7300 Core 2 Duo 3GB RAM WinXPSP3 NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M

Problem: Game crashes when reverting flight back to VAB or launching

Mods installed:

AviationLights v3.6

DebRefund v1.0.13

Glowstrips (NoMS) v0.4.3

ImprovedChaseCam v1.4.0

Karbonite v0.4.1 (with its dependencies)

ModuleManager v2.3.5

MunSeeker Greenhouses (for TAC 0.9)

ProbeControlRoom v1.0beta8a

RasterPropMonitor v0.18.2

RemoteTech 2 v1.4.1

ScanSat Dev v7.0rc4

TacLifeSupport v0.10.0.12

Toolbar v1.7.6

Reproduction Steps:

Build a simple rocket (probe core, fuel, engines ~50 parts) in the VAB or SPH and launch. During launch, revert to VAB or SPH. Crash to desktop, sometimes generating crash alert but often times not. Sometimes it crashes when launching, before even loading launchpad scene.

Removed mods that did not have parts associated with any existing flights (DebRefund, Toolbar, RasterPropMonitor, ImprovedChaseCam, ProbeControlRoom). Still had issue.

I can transition from scene-to-scene without issue (Enter Tracking Station/VAB/SPH/Research/etc and Exit to KSC many times). I can go to the Tracking Station and jump to any existing flight without issue, and return to Space Center, multiple times, without problems.

This only seems to happen when Reverting Flight, or Launching, from either the VAB or SPH.

RAM usage for KSP.exe ranges from 1.3GB to 1.7GB, total RAM usage on PC around 2.3GB. Processor usage sits around 60-65% during flights, around 30-45% in VAB

This just started recently after a flight that dropped 8 sats into Minmus orbit, pushing total flight count to 34. I thought perhaps it was an issue with the number of flights using lots of RAM, so I started a new fresh Career game. I can launch and revert the same types of ships without a problem, the same kind of ships that crash my main game.

Interestingly, the RAM and processor usage doesn't seem to be any different in the new fresh game...around 1.6-1.7GB of RAM used.

Log:

Folder ZIP of crash log

output_log of crash on ship launch (no error alert generated)

output_log of crash on ship revert to VAB (no error alert generated)

Thanks all for any help!

Turned on debris tracking and it shows 0 items. Went through everything in the list and all items are named, whether they be flags, probes, bases, or space objects.

Thanks for the idea though...

EDIT: Also did a search through the persistent file for "type = debris" or "debris" or "name = " and there were no occurrences.

Edited by ThirdHorseman

• 1 month later...

I'm getting the same thing. After the 0.25 update, I started fresh; deleted all saves and mods, essentially just deleted everything except the core data and re-downloaded the rest.

Then I installed about a dozen "essential" mods including Active Texture Management (basic) and Environmental Visual Enhancements.

I never had this issue before with the same setup on earlier versions.

It could always be related to my memory sticks, I've had some issues with them recently. But those have been related to bad sectors resulting in BSoDs, it shouldn't really cause a game to crash because of low memory before reaching such a critical error.

Same here, I was using version 0.24 with lots of mods and had assumed that was what was causing it, so I made a second install with 0.25 (I made sure it wasn't x64) with no mods and no saved craft, but I still crashes on revert flight, even with the simplest craft. It does seem to use 100% of my cpu for a few seconds and I'm not sure if it should normally do this (cpu is 3.2Ghz single core) Maybe it's overheating? It never used to though, in 0.235 I built huge ships with loads of mods and had no problems.

Further update, same version of KSP, same mods...

I thought that maybe the laptop I was using was just not enough...although it was running previous versions of KSP without too much of an issue...so I decided to put KSP on a better laptop:

Dell Latitude E6410

Core i5 CPU M520 @ 2.40GHz

4.00GB RAM (3.43 GB usable)

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 32-bit OS

I just took the KSP folder from the old laptop and copied it right to the desktop of the new one. Same issue. KSP loads fine, I can browse around KSC fine, but trying to launch a 420-part ship from the VAB causes KSP to crash, most times right to desktop without creating a crash log folder. If I can get a craft to launch, reverting to the VAB or SPH causes the same issue.

KSP never gets higher than 1.7GB of RAM usage, and processor never jumps above 65 or 70% usage.

Here is one of the crash logs, when it actually did generate the folder...

Error log folder as single ZIP file

Output log

Are these existing saves your using? Have you tried to reproduce this issue with a brand new game?

Possible you might have a corrupted persistent file. Not seeing too many errors in the log file.

your first post has crash log and game stops at this line.

USI.USI_Converter[FFFE283E][44.76]: OnLoad: MODULE
{
name = USI_Converter
converterName = XenonGas
conversionRate = 1
inputResources = ElectricCharge, 0.75, Karbonite, 0.75
outputResources = XenonGas,0.05,False
}

(Fil

Not using 64 bit right?

Edited by malkuth

Okay, here's even more interesting news...

Moved KSP to a different laptop, just slightly better than the previous one:

Dell Latitude E6420

Core i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz

4.00GB RAM (3.88 GB usable)

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit OS

Same deal as before, just copied the entire KSP folder to the desktop of this new laptop. Fired it up, and no issues. Loaded the same Career save, launched the same 420-part ship...no crashes after many launches/reverts.

What's weird, the base RAM load on this laptop (with nothing running but the base apps/OS) is higher than the previous one (1.15GB vs 450MB) and KSP.exe takes up more RAM when running on the newer laptop (2.1-2.3GB vs 1.3-1.7GB) but it's more stable.

Note that KSP is 32-bit in both instances, but it seems that running on the 64-bit OS has helped tremendously.

Also, there isn't a huge difference in graphics chips between the two laptops. Both are Integrated Intel HD Graphics and they only vary slightly in memory:

Previous Laptop:

Total available Graphics Memory: 1562MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 64MB

System Video Memory: 0MB

Shared System Memory: 1498MB

Newer Laptop:

Total available Graphics Memory: 1696MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 64MB

System Video Memory: 0MB

Shared System Memory: 1632MB

Both are running KSP at the same resolution, in Windowed mode, with the same graphics settings.

Not sure why having the 64-bit OS would make that big of a difference, but there it is...

On 32 bit versions of windows a process can only use a maximum of 2GB of memory (actually less than this due to also needing to load the exe and all the non-OS dlls). On 64 bit windows, the same 32 bit program can use 4GB of memory (less the same chunk for exe and dlls). This extra 2GB makes all the difference.

KSP 0.25 on default settings gets so close to the limit on 32 bit windows that it is often impossible to get further than the main menu and, even if you do, the game is highly likely to run out of memory on a subsequent scene switch and crash.

• 1 year later...

Running 1.0.5, 64-bit OS, 4 gigs of ram, 3 useable, and no issues other than the revert crashes. straight to desktop, no crash message, done. I'm not using many intensive mods, and the ones i have installed haven't caused any problems before in this version.

• 2 weeks later...

You should have probably posted your own threads rather than necroing this old report that was mainly caused by running on Win32 where KSP can only use 2GB.

Also, you should read (and follow the advice within) the "How to get support" sticky thread in this sub-forum so that you make a useful report that people will have a chance of helping with...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.