My First Foray into the Fun Fray of Rocketry

ping111

Salutations!

In approximately 1 hour\'s time, I will arrive in my local science store for my birthday gift.

Being the space-obsessed 12-year-old I am, I immediately set my eyes on the rockets.

I will keep you posted on my purchases. My goals are to launch by May 14, and for the rocket to reach approximately 230 feet. Please comment on this thread with your good-luck wishes, tips, or anecdotes from your first flight.

Cheers!

Good luck!

Tip #1 - The neighbor\'s cat is not a viable target

Tip #2 - Recreating KSP in real life has VERY bad consequences for the people around you.

Lol, parents. Not leaving for some time. :(

#1 - It\'s funny, my neighbour does have a cat, but he\'s never outside.

#2 - You don\'t say? Well, I\'m gonna add a little Jeb sticker if nothing else.

Tip #5 - Do not shoot across Lake Ontario or the US Army will be at your door asking for a reason as to why you shot a mini-ICBM into American territory.

Lucky I don\'t live near Lake Ontario :D However, maybe one day I\'ll go on a Skywalk (walking on top of the CN Tower) and smuggle a rocket in. DEATH TO THE BLUE JAYS! 8)

Well, I\'m back. This will have to be a triple-post, because the files are too large.

First up, The Estes Alpha III rocket.

Comes with rocket, launchpad, motors, the works.

Photos attached:

1: The front.

2: The back, with stats and the like.

Statistics:

Length: 12.3' (31.2cm)

Diameter: 0.98' (25mm)

Weight: 1.2 oz. (34g)

Recovery: Parachute with streamer.

And the other one - yes, another one.

Sorry about the name, Nova. It\'s the Estes Big Bertha.

This 2-foot beast is a Level 1. Here are the notes that are blurred out:

• [li]Flies Up to 169m (550\')[/li]
    [li]Our Largest Beginner Level ROcket[/li]
    [li]Slow, Realistic Take-Offs[/li]

Statistics:

Length: 24' (2\') (610mm) (61cm)

Diameter: 1.637' (41.6mm) (4.16cm)

Weight: 3 oz. (95g)

Recovery: Parachute

Now, I need ADVICE! I\'m a BEGINNER, so I need all the help I can get! Launching, weather, building, ANYTHING!

Really, there\'s no advice to be given other than go into a very large field with no heavy traffic and no really heavy winds.

It\'s quite simple. I\'ve got a few old kits from when I did that, and ended up building a few from scratch. Once you get experience with the level 1 kits, go up to level 2. You\'re a bit young for 3 and up, but that\'ll pass in time.

I have an Alpha III of my own, actually. The parachute was melted after the padding caught on fire, so now it\'s a rocket propelled lawn dart.

I had a Gnome actually burst into flames at apogee. Old motor, too strong. Not my best moment. As far as I know, the parachute melting thing is pretty common if you don\'t pack the wadding well enough. Had two or three rockets crumple that way.

NEVER try to turn a plastic cup into a rocket.

As far as that rocket goes. Make sure the joints are strong, but don\'t put a ton of glue on it. Do not use an engine larger than recommended.

[move]FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS[/move]

Ooh, the Big Bertha! Nice! I have a Sky twister, and a Vector force meself. Also, do you know Canada\'s laws regarding model rocketry?

Oh god... No. What is it? Well, seeing how a major store sells them, I can assume they\'re okay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.