Christmas is coming, should I treat myself to a new PC?

kenbobo

kenbob5588, this is really old, I think a reboot is in order, hold on.

Okay, I'm a bit behind on PC hardware so can't really help, but KSP does work better with a beefy graphics card so don't skimp on that :)

Edited by sal_vager

A budget and what games you will play/what things you want to use it for would be very nice to know.

Haswell-E and Maxwell just launched, so ''last-gen'' (Or what you call it) NVidia and Intel stuff will likely be at reduced price while still being good enough for some of today's games and tasks. I don't know about AMD though.

If you have a spare 10000 - 20000 dollars laying around you could build a PC with 128 gb of ddr4 ram and an 8 core processor with 4 titans running in SLI.

That would be quite the waste of money and energy - in less than two years your expensive space heater computer will be surpassed by much cheaper and frugal hardware.

maybe not two years. depends on what you mean by surpassed. two years ago you could have made a quad or maybe 6 core pc with 64 gb of ddr3 ram and two or four gtx 590s in SLI and it would still be above average today. you could probably get a pretty good clock speed too.

The irony is that Kerbal Space Program will run better on the 4790K.

It would run the same on an overclocked 4690k if it was clocked to the same clockspeed because ksp doesn't take advantage of hyperthreading. Heck, even a Pentium G3258 could probably get the same performance as the 4790k when overclocked, because ksp can't take any advantage of the extra cores.

It would run the same on an overclocked 4690k if it was clocked to the same clockspeed because ksp doesn't take advantage of hyperthreading. Heck, even a Pentium G3258 could probably get the same performance as the 4790k when overclocked, because ksp can't take any advantage of the extra cores.

KSP is multithreaded. It just can't split the major lag-maker (The physics) onto several cores.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.