This is Kerbal Space Program

Geneborg

Ever felt the need to explain KSP to somebody? Did it take you too long to talk about everything you can do in the game?

Well, this short movie tries to do it in 4 minutes. Starting out with the great Kerbal animations from Squad (because nothing says cute Kerbal like the trailers), continuing on how failing and succeeding lies close together, an intermezzo with asteroids, sience and stuff and finally finishing up with the community.

Some pictures to get you in the mood:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This started out as a small test back in July. Instead of doing random stuff it was themed with KSP. After some shots came together D.Fontana thought of a "story" to tell and the version you see here came together.

This movie stays true to KSP, so no post processing or effects that are not in the game (well, the smoke when the rocket takes of is the 1 exception), what you see is what you get as we deemed appropriate for a "This is XY" movie.

But enough words, enjoy.

P.S. after this was finished we started doing some ModShowcases because, why not, we are used to play with some great tools that the modders provided.

Edited by Geneborg

Thx for commenting, hope you enjoyed the video.

Yes, indeed, in some context additional info could be helpful sometimes, maybe as option to show/hide in the menu. We noticed while making the clip that some scenes didn't explain themselves without any contextual info so the "banners" where the answer to that.

Nice use of trailer footage. I also like the banners. (though not sure about some of the ones that go all the way across the screen.)

This is a good summary of the game, as it is currently.

Thx for commenting everyone, always nice to read some feedback.

Nice use of trailer footage.

Thank you, it just seemed the best way to represent the Kerbals themselves, SQUAD did a beautiful job with their trailers. There was enough material to cut them together for the initial sequence.

I also like the banners. (though not sure about some of the ones that go all the way across the screen.)

Well, i give you that. Maybe not the most creative way to display text, it was a creative desicion, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Very nice video! I think it does depict KSP very well in its current state! :)

Thank you. Yes, KSP has come a long way, there is quite some content now compared to when it started.

I really like that video keep the good work up!

Thank you, too. We are still very much involved with KSP, i myself for about 1,5 years now. It's one of the better early access games out there and it deserves more recognition. I hope Squad will keep it up, they may not be the fastest on the planet, but they do seem to care.

And again, thx for taking the time to comment.

Absolutely gorgeous! Great work, and nice editing. The use of Squad's Kerbal animations was awesome too!

Happy to hear you liked it, there are some shots in there that took some thinkering.

Note to self. Show to all the friends.
(...) I'm showing this to anyone in the future whose curious about the game.

Sounds good, i hope it will spark some interest in the game, that would be awesome.

Well its been a week, time to look back.

Seems that the hope of gathering enough traction to get this clip outside the community to spark interest in "non KSP players" will not happen, the realization set in on Wednesday. We missed the mark, obviously. Maybe there will be a next time, closer to 1.0.

Seems that the hope of gathering enough traction to get this clip outside the community to spark interest in "non KSP players" will not happen, the realization set in on Wednesday. We missed the mark, obviously. Maybe there will be a next time, closer to 1.0.

No, you didn't miss the mark! Your video was fantastic. You just need it to be showcased in a Video Wednesdays to give it a headstart on the views. Send it in to Rowsdower and ask for it to be showcased. You should also have posted this thread in the KSP Fanworks thread, since it's more of a special work of art rather than a livestream or easy-to-make video. Ask for it to be moved in this thread.

Thx Andrew, appreciate the sentiment. I'm sure Squad has seen this and they have their reasons to or not to feature it on video wednesday (see the PN i wrote you), thats their prerogative. I'm sure there are many others that made some clips that would have liked to be featured, so i think its not for me to push on that issue, thats like saying "feature me i'm better then everyone else".

Ah, sir, you are the first to notice/mention it. Thats the only CGI shot i made manipulating raw-footage to create the illusion of a perfect rocket-launch. Sry to say, its not an ingame-mod, its pure CGI.

Maybe SQUAD will work on that on the road to 1.0, they reworked explosions, it should be doable to rework launch-smoke.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.