[WIP] Kerbojet Systems - A B9 Expansion - USABLE PRERELEASE 0.1

blowfish

kerbojet_zpsc75a731b.jpg~original

Usable Prerelease 0.1

Early WIP prerelease - includes HL Tails and Supersonic Cockpit.

Requires B9

Requires DDSLoader

License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

DOWNLOAD (Dropbox)

2014-11-08_00001_zps5bd46436.jpg

WIP Parts

HL 12m Tails (View in 3D)

yG4Ny

I wanted something a bit longer and rounder than B9's existing tails, so I made these. They're already in-game (screenshot), but the texture and cfg still need tweaking. Does anyone know how to calculate the volume and/or center of mass of a mesh?

HL Supersonic Cockpit (View in 3D)

Ns4pu

B9's HL cockpit is great, but I wanted something a bit more streamlined for supersonic and hypersonic designs. The lower set of windows should provide good take-off/landing visibility, as well as provide a bit of a view of the lower deck from the pilot's seat. Current plan is for it to hold 8-10 kerbals: 4 on the upper deck and 4-6 on the lower deck.

2014-10-12_00001_zps74566f34.jpg

2014-10-20_00002_zpsfdcafcec.jpg

JT8D (View in 3D)

0jwZz

A low-bypass turbofan loosely based on the P&W JT8D for subsonic and low supersonic applications. Shown with one thrust-reverser deployed.

Vernor Thrusters (View in 3D)

8y5s4

Multiple configurations for vernor thrusters - designed for large interplanetary vessels which need a lot of reaction control.

Mk2 Sized SABRE and Intake (View in 3D)

Okscb

A Mk2 sized SABRE engine and air intake.

Edited by blowfish

Can you make an HL 12m Probe body? I never liked the fact there were only two probes in the B9 Pack.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to say no to that. It might be a semi-useful thing to have, but I think there are better things to spend time on. I usually put all of the utility stuff (probe core, batteries, RCS, RTGs) in a cargo bay on my S2 and HL ships. You can also do what the stock B9 craft do and clip a probe core inside of a structural part. If you really need a probe core you can create a CFG to make one from one of the existing models (like the reaction wheel).

Meanwhile, quick forward visibility test on the HL Supersonic Cockpit (using dummy textures):

2014-10-12_00001_zps74566f34.jpg

I will probably move the pilot's seat down and forward a bit, but it looks like visibility is good. Almost makes me think that the lower set of windows is unnecessary, though I may keep them just because they look cool.

• 2 weeks later...
How's it going? I'd love some kind of test release, perhaps people could help you with figuring out the volumes... I really love the HL tails, BTW. :)

I'd like to provide a prerelease at some point. I just feel like I don't have all that much usable content yet. All that's really usable so far is the tails and (to an extent) the cockpit. But a lot of people seem to be asking, so I'll think about it.

Even if just 3 parts, it'd be an useful pack. I have a use in mind for both tails and cockpit. :)

Also, could you try doing more B9-style misc. parts? Stuff like 2.5m (Mk5) fuselages to better go with Mk.2 adapters and the Mk.5 cockpit, Mk.1 cargobay for small spaceplanes, perhaps other such handy parts...

Edited by Guest

I'd like to provide a prerelease at some point. I just feel like I don't have all that much usable content yet. All that's really usable so far is the tails and (to an extent) the cockpit. But a lot of people seem to be asking, so I'll think about it.

Adding in my 2 cents, it's not the quantity that's important, it's the quality. :) Quite a few of the folders in my GameData directory only contain a few parts, sometimes just one. And I mean that the original mod had WAY more parts than I end up using, so I got rid of the stuff I had no need for. So if you released this mod with "only" three parts, I'd have all three in my game that I use, as opposed to some others that had 50 or more parts to start with, but now I only have one or two in game. :)

So yes, please, by all means, I look forward to using these 3 items when they become available, and I hope that time comes very soon!

Later! :D

Okay. There are still a couple of things I want to clean up first but once they are done I'll provide a prerelease. The main holdouts right now are (1) Adding spectacular modulation (alpha channel) to the textures and (2) Adding a couple of props to the IVA to make it minimally usable. And rest assured I'm making progress toward those goals :). There might still be issues with the cockpit's external ladders and RCS ports but I think those are fixed now.

Be advised, I will be requiring the DDS Loader plugin. You don't need to convert all of the textures in your KSP folder to DDS (though I highly recommend it - it saves a lot of loading time), but the plugin will need to be present as all of my textures will be in DDS format.

Also, I'm naming this mod Kerbojet Systems and will rename the thread in a day or two. Just a heads up :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.