Obsession with .25, .26, updates.... Stop the madness!

xtoro

Is it just me or is anyone else sick of the billion posts about .25 and .26? I mean really, it will come out when it comes out, and OMG yes, it will have new things.... I really wish the hypetrain would derail and catch fire... Every time I come here and click on "New Posts" it's always the same, or it's someone posting a new thing about a version that isn't even out yet, or some stupid theories, or trying to decode some twitter post that someone involved with Squad has posted like there's hidden messages Da Vinci code style...

Don't get me wrong because when the new version comes out, yes I will download it, yes I do love playing KSP and spend lots of time on it, but I probably check once a week to see if it's there. I'm not going to keep the ksp download page open and hit refresh every 10 minutes so that I can get it as soon as it's released. Besides, there may be a new bug and they will release a newer 25.1 the next day...

The forum posts remind me of seeing fools camping overnight in lineups to get the latest gadget or game/game system, or see a movie (EG star wars, LOTR...). Meanwhile I walk into the store or movie theater weeks later and get the same thing, no lineup, no crowds, and cheaper. Win.

Frankly, I really wish there was something I could click on to ignore certain threads so that I stop seeing them every time I log in.

/rant

I really cannot wait until 0.27 comes out...

Serious mode: Unfortunately, this is the KSP community's style of reaction, and I'm afraid you have no option but to deal with it. But yeah, I can understand why you'd act like that. Heck, we even got a .26 Hypetrain thread once!

Edited by Commissioner Tadpole

Honestly, I never saw a community that was looking that much forward to every tiny progress. There are very active communities, there are communities that are just angry, there are communities that are excited for a few months, and then they lose interest and the forum goes to sleep.

The KSP Forum is none of these - which is partly scary and partly something to be very excited about. A community that committed may exist for a long time.

So yeah: the permanent hype is kind of exhausting, but I kind of agree with its reasoning.

On some level, I suspect most of us feel exactly the way you feel. Enough is enough already.

Now excuse me while I go pitch my tent to camp out in line outside the store all night. This is so exciting!!!!

Honestly, I never saw a community that was looking that much forward to every tiny progress. There are very active communities, there are communities that are just angry, there are communities that are excited for a few months, and then they lose interest and the forum goes to sleep.

The KSP Forum is none of these - which is partly scary and partly something to be very excited about. A community that committed may exist for a long time.

Honestly, to me it seems like the KSP Forum is on the 'Active Community' camp.

I'm not really fond of hype for anything, honestly. Anticipation and excitement, sure, but hype is a different beast altogether and it does get a bit tiring... I've learned not to do it - hyping too much about anything is a good way to find yourself disappointed in the end, better to keep reserved anticipation and excitement and then, in the case of the hyped item being as good as you hoped, then it's time to unleash the accumulated excited freakout energy.

What? People are actually taking it seriously?

I figured the hype train stuff was just "for the lulz": some silly thing to do when we're not busy.

Anyhow...

Confirmed: Mission text generation is indeed more random in 0.25. I for one welcome our new familiarization snidest risked astigmatic symmetry coin waken commingles helixes overlords.

Meh. The Hype Train doesn't go anywhere I want to go, but I'm excited for each and every release because I'm utterly fascinated with watching this game develop and evolve. Squad gets flamed all the time for their development style, the choices they make, their programming skills (or lack thereof), their sometimes tenuous relationship to actual physics, their business practices, etc. And to be honest, I don't always agree with them. But you know what? I've sunk over 300 hours into this game, that Steam knows about anyway, and I love it to death. The degree to which people become invested in the hype is just yet another indication of what a special thing Felipe and the rest of the gang have created. So I just mostly ignore the endless speculation, but I totally understand why people get this worked up about every update. Besides, sometimes there are some really good discussions that take place in those threads. For instance, one recent hype thread birthed a great back and forth about game design, and how the new fungible economics could be improved.

It's a fun way to blow off steam with a group of like-minded people.

I don't see how. It's much more fun starting a suggestion thread and hashing out all the details that might come up during implementation.

This dumb meme seems to do nothing useful all things considered. It's like ice cream, or crack. You're just borrowing happiness from tomorrow. A discussion about the implementation of a suggestion is at least an intellectual exercise, which stands a better chance of being added to the game, if not by Squad, then by a modder.

Honestly this train thing makes me lose faith in the intelligence of all involved. The thing has achieved a meta-level now where people are just making images and hype-vehicles. It's absurd! That's how cults get created!

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I really cannot wait until 0.27 comes out...

Serious mode: Unfortunately, this is the KSP community's style of reaction, and I'm afraid you have no option but to deal with it. But yeah, I can understand why you'd act like that. Heck, we even got a .26 Hypetrain thread once!

Could just not read the posts relating to the hypetrain, that is always an option. I just find it odd the the op would make a post about the topic he is upset by, wouldn't that upset them as well since it is dealing with the issue that originally upset them? Or is my low blood sugar making a connection where there is none? :huh:

It's a fun way to blow off steam with a group of like-minded people. There are far worse things to be mad about.

Like not having enough blueberries in a blueberry muffin :mad: ....I feel robbed!

The forum posts remind me of seeing fools camping overnight in lineups to get the latest gadget or game/game system, or see a movie (EG star wars, LOTR...). Meanwhile I walk into the store or movie theater weeks later and get the same thing, no lineup, no crowds, and cheaper. Win.

Well congratulations. You are immune to such silly things as "excitement" and "anticipation"! The rest of us are not. We are regular people, and when there are things coming out we feel we will enjoy, we get excited and want them to happen quickly. Honestly, I feel sorry for you that you've never been so excited about something that you'd had to have it the first day. The time spent in line or a bit of extra money is usually worth it, and crowds are all part of the fun.

Anyways, for a game that's still in development, it would be pretty weird if there wasn't constant discussion about the next version. It's like going into a forum for a TV show and expecting them not to discuss where they think the plot's headed.

Ice cream, Kipard, children's ice cream.

The hype train is part of the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids!

I had to google that. I haven't seen that movie so I don't know what you're talking about, if it's even relevant.

Well congratulations. You are immune to such silly things as "excitement" and "anticipation"! The rest of us are not. We are regular people, and when there are things coming out we feel we will enjoy, we get excited and want them to happen quickly. Honestly, I feel sorry for you that you've never been so excited about something that you'd had to have it the first day. The time spent in line or a bit of extra money is usually worth it, and crowds are all part of the fun.

This is offensive, insane and fallacious. People who line up for days to buy a thing are not sane people, sorry. Being socially fanatical is not an argument. What you described there is no different than aching for your next hit. Snap out of it.

I'm more of a lurker to be honest, but I felt like I needed to post on this. This thread kind of saddens me. I'm part of allot of early releases and this community is the most active, helpful, and fun one I've ever been a part of. There are plenty of serious discussions going on, but I LOVE the playful side of this community. To me all the hype has become more of a joke, but in a good way. Its like cats or Chuck Norris on the internet. Some mystical train that will take us toward a better future full of boosters and destructible buildings. I like the break from rocket science or heated "should we implement this" discussion you get on this and other threads. Like on space engineers, all you get is whether or not pressurized hulls should be introduced. Ugh, that gets really old really fast, at least the hype is less serious. Hopefully I made some sense, I'm not the best at expressing what I mean in text. Russet_Potato.jpg

I had to google that. I haven't seen that movie so I don't know what you're talking about, if it's even relevant.

Don't worry, it means absolutely nothing. It's just for fun.

Some people are having fun. No one is asking you to have fun the same way, or to wait in the same line with them. But that doesn't mean you need to complain that they are waiting in their line.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.