Obsession with .25, .26, updates.... Stop the madness!

xtoro

What really baffles me is the level of hype over...

drumroll please...

wait for it...

:the ability to get slightly more arbitrary points in one are and slightly less arbitrary points in another. Oh, and some 'new' parts that have already been out as a mod for a while. I get it, it's been a while since we got anything (of substance at any rate), but big frakking whoop.

I like how you put a dramatic pause in your post to hype up what you say in the 2nd half. You get a +1 on your next hype roll.

Though I don't think I've seen anybody going WOO HOO WE GET TO MARGINALLY CUT SCIENCE TO MARGINALLY INCREASE FUNDS! WOO WOO WOO.

And a LOT of people constantly petition Squad to put various mods in as stock. Now they're doing just that and people are asking why Squad bothers. Here's one good reason: When 0.26 comes out you won't have to wait for SP+ to update for it (though, granted, the old versions of part mods generally work anyway).

Okay while I generally disagree with OP's point of view, everyone else here telling him he could just ignore it;

you could also,

wait for it...

wait for it...

ignore his post too xD.

To OP: At this point I think the hype is just a fun, but sophomoric way of having fun. Part of the reason we mods sticky such threads and merge other threads is to allow other posts to go up and down as the invisible hand of the thread market dictates.

*AmpsterMan puts on Moderator hat*

At this point I suggest we all stop flaming this person too much. Discuss the topic at hand and the ideas put forth NOT the people who posted it.

no I'm not talking to YOU. Your posts are fine. I'm talking to the OTHER people that posted that aren't YOU. If you think I'm calling YOU out (yes YOU) i'm actually talking to others.

You're fine

I <3 you

*AmpsterMan takes mod hat off*

Wow that hat does some weird stuff to a man. Happy posting!

The hype train is part of the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids!
I had to google that. I haven't seen that movie so I don't know what you're talking about, if it's even relevant.

Not to this thread, no. But that movie (Dr. Strangelove or How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb) is definitely worthwhile, despite it's age and cheesy title. In my limited experience, it's still quite enjoyable to a first-time audience -- so it's not as if you'd only need to do it in order to catch up on cultural references.

This time it was because the "secret feature" was very much overhyped. Like the buildings are cool but I would've made the secret feature something way cooler, like the integration of SP+

The main disappointment with the "secret feature" (for me, at least) was that it moved KSP even closer to a disaster simulator. I get that people like explosions but it's a shame that destroying KSC seems to be the main activity everyone is looking forward to. There's even a challenge in the wings waiting for 0.26... It's a disservice to the game, IMO.

As for the hype, I'm pretty happy it's generally confined to one thread so we don't have to suffer terrible image macros throughout the forums.

Right on!

These update threads are totally useless!

You need to begin the real thread - The 1.0 Release !

Until now we have been on the cusp of greatness, but soon will transition to something greater than 0 on the left of the decimal. :)

(look, this, plus the act of using KSP keeps most off the street anyways ...)

Right on!

These update threads are totally useless!

You need to begin the real thread - The 1.0 Release !

Until now we have been on the cusp of greatness, but soon will transition to something greater than 0 on the left of the decimal. :)

(look, this, plus the act of using KSP keeps most off the street anyways ...)

What on earth are you talking about?

Let me backtrack a little. I was in error when I said that the hype threads didn`t impinge on the front page.

They do. A lot.

Whilst I`ve nothing against the hype threads and they do a good job of keeping people busy until the update.

PLEASE can we stop them appearing on the front page so that other threads have even the smallest chance to be seen there?

I just went to the first page of the Discussion forum. I assume that's the one you have problems with. If I'm wrong, please tell me.

Ignoring stickies, there are 20 posts. With a really strong "anything discussing 0.25 or beyond is hype" view, there are 7 hype threads and 13 non-hype threads. This feels like a lot but it IS the expected release week.

If, however, you look only at threads that are in fact there just due to hype and not just discussing the announced features of the proposed update, perhaps to work out strategies or just thoughts on them, then the number of Hype threads plummets to 3, leaving 17 non-hype threads for you to enjoy.

And honestly I think that has a lot to do with the official, stickied hype thread.

Still, the way everyone is jumping at "OMG, new release, HYPEHYPEHYPE!", it seems offputing and ridiculous to me. Especially now that Squad changed it's strategy, we'll see a lot of releases with few noteworthy features, like 0.25. It integrated a part pack, did some (long overdue) tweaks, put in difficulty panel and added two minor gameplay features, one of which is career-only. There are too many "hype threads" (not only the official one), devoted to nothing but being excited about the new release. We've got a Squad-approved hypetrain driver and an official hype thread. Personally, I'm sick of it, especially when it's all for such a minor update. In 0.24, there were a few things to get excited about, but not that many. In 0.25, there are almost none. What 0.25 was to put down a lot of groundwork that they might build something exciting upon, but good-looking foundations don't make for a nice house by themselves.

0.26 is promising, but newly announced updates always are. Unless they're actually going to fix the aerodynamics model (and do it properly, comparabley to FAR. Now that they can do varying difficulties, there's no excuse for doing a half-arsed job at this and calling "rule of fun"), I won't be taking that train, either.

Eh, I'm in the same boat of being perfectly happy to wait for the update sans hype and just download it when it comes out. But as annoying as OMGHYPEHYPEHYPE is, especially when it's left, right, and center on the forum and elsewhere, the people who get into it aren't hurting anyone or anything and honest, as a marketing company, it's what SQUAD wants.

Everyone knew it was more than likely going to come out this Tuesday or next, so it's not a big deal to just check back every day or every other one and ignore the hype.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually enjoy the excitement this community shows for new releases, even if some threads turn into a argument for better aerodynamics.

Nobody has to ARGUE for those now- Squad's announced they're gonna be stock baby!

Chooochooo, Hype Train full steam ahead! :D

Regards,

Northstar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.