Science around XXX contract exploitable

I know someone else MUST have noticed this. But I couldn't find a previous thread touching on this subject.

So I know folks believe that money in career mode is too easy. But today I figured out how to basically have unlimited funds in career mode. I keep getting contracts for "Science around <YourFavoriteCelestialBody>". Usually only worth 1-10 science depending on the planet targeted. But usually worth substantial cash. So I parked satellites, with lots of solar panels and batteries, around each of planets, moons, etc. Now when I get the contract, I just jump to the appropriate satellite and transmit the current temperature back. I just made $450k in about 5 minutes.

I'm pretty sure this is not what the developers intended. And it likely needs to be fixed.

It's just one of many exploits, but it IS better than leaving a lone Kerbal on the surface of Mun to keep planting flags :D

If you make the orbit eccentric enough you won't even have to use fuel to change it all the time to get to the right altitude.

As you pointed out, though: Money's not currently a big problem so this exploit isn't as bad as it sounds.

I think a solution to both the flag and science contracts would be to add a "must not be within x kilometres of the last flag" or "must be from near this location" or something like that to most of those contracts.

I think a solution to both the flag and science contracts would be to add a "must not be within x kilometres of the last flag" or "must be from near this location" or something like that to most of those contracts.

Totally complete agree. I also think the "science from X" contracts should require specific unresearched science (and include biomes when landed) and if there is no unresearched science, that contract is not offered.

Or as Fine Print makes it with the contracts demanding a probe in a certain orbit. You have to build the craft used after you have accepted the contract.

/UncleBod

- Just trying to fall towards Kerbin and miss.

I also think the "science from X" contracts should require specific unresearched science (and include biomes when landed) and if there is no unresearched science, that contract is not offered.

I disagree with this point though. Maybe they shouldn't be as much for repeated biomes, but as mentioned above, it can make setting up satellites, and bases useful. I think making it useful to collect more than one data point per place isn't a bad thing.

I disagree with this point though. Maybe they shouldn't be as much for repeated biomes, but as mentioned above, it can make setting up satellites, and bases useful. I think making it useful to collect more than one data point per place isn't a bad thing.

Okay maybe not unresearched, but at least science that actually returns science points.

Though you could get in a position where a contract comes available, you take the last reading of that science, then you accept the contract and now can't fulfil it. Though the game could check if the science is still viable when you reopen Mission Control.

I strongly disagree with closing this "exploit". It's not a problem, and is actually a very necessary requirement for the game to have some relatively easy cash generators.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.