fastest jet in ksp *UPDATED* 2/28/2019

2422.0m/s (8,719.2km/h or mach 7.1)

That's orbital velocity... while the OP hasn't really mentioned it... the leaderboard is all SURFACE velocity. So that puts you at about 2200 m/s, pretty quick... but definitely not the fastest.

Roflcopterkklol I need to see the surface speed I don't take orbital speeds but good try though:cool::wink:

:o i thought orbital speed was acceptable considering you made the altitude limit over 36km (36km is when it changes from surface to orbit)

should change the altitude limit to 35km if that is the case, just sayin, can i be descending when i reach my highest speed then?

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

:o i thought orbital speed was acceptable considering you made the altitude limit over 36km (36km is when it changes from surface to orbit)

If you click on your speed it changes from orbital, to surface, to target speed (if you have one).

can i be descending when i reach my highest speed then?

You can be wherever you want to be when you take the highest speed, just never ascend over 40km in Kerbin's atmosphere. That means that you can't launch above 40km just to drop back down.

• 9 months later...

My fastest design has achieved 1376.8 m/s, after babying it faster and faster for a good 15 minutes until it finally gave in to the heat.

Quite a bit short of the 0.24 records, but I guess it makes a good enough starting point here in 1.0.4.

7B144B260B131EE2130155B0B258B91F3DF51145

While Mach 6 still seems out of reach, Steltina and Halrim Kerman made it to Mach 5.02 (according to Kerbal Engineer Redux), or 1482.6m/s in level flight.

smk9HQc.jpg

@Lego_8bit : You write "allow opt mod Aka the ADVANCED TURBORAMJET! and the scramjet mods" and "DRE".

I have no idea about these. Could you please explain further, e.g. by providing links to these mods?

While Mach 6 still seems out of reach, Steltina and Halrim Kerman made it to Mach 5.02 (according to Kerbal Engineer Redux), or 1482.6m/s in level flight.

http://i.imgur.com/smk9HQc.jpg

@Lego_8bit : You write "allow opt mod Aka the ADVANCED TURBORAMJET! and the scramjet mods" and "DRE".

I have no idea about these. Could you please explain further, e.g. by providing links to these mods?

i will indeed thanks for the heads up also DRE is deadly re-entry

Edited by Lego8_bit

Thanks for the mod links. I just tried the scramjet mod - it gets really wild!

While "surface" speed was still displayed on the navball, I reached Mach 8.01 / 2557.6 m/s:

OZBULP4.jpg

And just before reaching the 50K ceiling, Mach 9.01, and 2701.5 m/s displayed by Kerbal Engineer Redux:

eCvBPLm.jpg

The ship went into a high atmosphere-grazing orbit, and only re-entered after the second orbit and was able to glide to a landing you could walk away from near KSC.

Thanks for the mod links. I just tried the scramjet mod - it gets really wild!

While "surface" speed was still displayed on the navball, I reached Mach 8.01 / 2557.6 m/s:

http://i.imgur.com/OZBULP4.jpg

And just before reaching the 50K ceiling, Mach 9.01, and 2701.5 m/s displayed by Kerbal Engineer Redux:

http://i.imgur.com/eCvBPLm.jpg

The ship went into a high atmosphere-grazing orbit, and only re-entered after the second orbit and was able to glide to a landing you could walk away from near KSC.

Mother of god...... you surpassed all the 24.1 speeds!!!! im gonna need to set a different bracket up for mods (replacing the far one) I will get your icon made right away :D

1. MAX ALT is 50,000

2. Updated* Due to the atmospheric update i will allow opt mod Aka the ADVANCED TURBORAMJET! and the scram jet mods or stock only! (But DRE and Is Permitted to show Accurate mach speed)(also FAR is permitted I will have a separate speed category for FAR entry's)

3. No rapier engines

4. No rockets of any kind

5. UPDATE* You my use jet, turbojet, advanced turboramjet, and scramjet mod ONLY!

6. SURFACE SPEED ONLY

NEW RULE** you can have up to 1-8 Air intakes.

And no thrusterless jets

No Ctrl alt f12 crap either

You must take a screenshot of your alt and your speed and also proof of no cheats

TOP SPEED IN STOCK 1.0.4:

1. norup made it to Mach 5.02 and has a speed of 1482.6m/s

2. fire219 made it to Mach 4.96 and has a speed of 1376.8 m/s

3. Zaddy23 made it to Mach 4.92 and has a speed of 1365 m/s

Well, here's my quick attempt at a speed flyer:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I think if i build a proper racing rocket (see Kerbin circumnavigation challenge thread, there are lots of those) speeds of over 1700 are easily attainable.

the speed limit appears to be about Mach 28 at 30km. At which point, you're at Kerbolar escape whether you like it or not and you fly off in a straight line.

(source: did it with a nuclear engine).

I will be shocked if anyone makes it to mach 28 on an atmospheric engine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.