fastest jet in ksp *UPDATED* 2/28/2019

check out the circumnavigation thread. A lot of us taking part in it have built jets that cruise at 1720-1740. That's a bit over mach 5. I've gotten my own over 1750 in a powerdive. Rapier in air mode, no oxidizer, low drag, high altitude.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126592-Kerbin-Circumnavigation-1-0-3-1-0-4-Aviator-Challenge-Continuation

check out the circumnavigation thread. A lot of us taking part in it have built jets that cruise at 1720-1740. That's a bit over mach 5. I've gotten my own over 1750 in a powerdive. Rapier in air mode, no oxidizer, low drag, high altitude.

Yes, but per the rules of this challenge we cannot use rapier engines or go above 50 km. So :P

oh. well then in that case, there's this from another thread that was kind of an offshoot.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

top displayed surface speed in-flight was 1495.5. (other parts of that challenge were single engine, no non-cosmetic mods, a successful no-parts-lost landing, and speed taken from the F3 screen) Sometime tomorrow I'll see what I can do if I lift those restrictions and really unleash the beast. :D

Edited by ExaltedDuck

So I took my fastest circumnavigator (it held the world record briefly, but was beaten by 2 seconds and a subsequent rule change has made the new record unassailable), swapped out the engines for whiplashes, stuck some lower drag flight surfaces on it and put this together:

I could have sworn I saw it hit an even 1530.0, but the best I managed to screencap was 1529.7. And it has a few draggy parts that were necessary for the circumnavigation challenge but not this one, so I'll probably be back soon. :)

Edited by ExaltedDuck

• 2 weeks later...

The best I've been able to achieve is 1469.0 m/s (though I didn't get it screenshotted), despite several tries and drastic methods to reduce weight/drag.

~1500m/s seems to be the maximum that can be eked out of the stock Whiplash turbojet. At the needed altitude (~20k) and these speeds, it's thrust is negligible.

http://imgur.com/a/5C5So

I had just learned that fairings make the best nose cones and had to try it out.

I didn't know about the challenge, but I think this qualifies?

mach 5.06 according to the Kerbal Engineer and the last screen before I blew up.

highest speed over land 1483 m/s

oh and hai first post

Fairings have been implemented for stock pats so they are allowed and ill add your entry in to the leader board

OK I will be updating the Leader board with all entries that are recent

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/92s88TD.png

This baby hit a little over 1500 m/s in stock KSP.

I'll come back with a picture of it with UI open.

bioman222 your using RAIPIERS with is forbidden in this challenge and makes your attempt null and voided.

- - - Updated - - -

I made a plane, that, with unbreakable joints and ignore max temp enabled (I didn't bother testing it without) reached massive speeds, it might've been like 1900m/s or 2000m/s

sounds like you were messing with alt f12 which is forbidden but its a nice try :)

- - - Updated - - -

The best I've been able to achieve is 1469.0 m/s (though I didn't get it screenshotted), despite several tries and drastic methods to reduce weight/drag.

~1500m/s seems to be the maximum that can be eked out of the stock Whiplash turbojet. At the needed altitude (~20k) and these speeds, it's thrust is negligible.

if its the same craft you used i will update the leaderboard otherwise it might not count

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I fiddled around with Nefrum's design and with some modifications (and no Jeb to disintegrate) I managed to squeeze it up 1,560 m/s (Mach 5.28 according to KER). Overheating is definitely the limiting factor here... if only the turbojet could maintain its max thrust at higher altitudes.

EDIT: Anyone know what the most heat resistant stock parts are?

Edited by Yakuzi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Using 2 advanced turboramjet and 8 radial scramjet, i managed to 3,248 m/s before i flung myself out of kerbin :)

No FAR by the way. Forgot to do from start to finish

http://imgur.com/a/e7rmP

Edit 1: managed to mach 10.67 (3628 m/s) with some slight modification. Again, still flung myself out of kerbin. Proof will be showed in the previous album

Edit 2: with 8 air intake (4 of which was hypersonic), 2 advanced turboramjet, 8 radial scramjet and 5 (1 inside the plane) houdini. I have pushed myself to 5969 m/s (17.4 mach) before exploded in mid-space. Guarantee real deal.

http://imgur.com/a/3QQw1

Edited by andykhang

• 2 weeks later...

Not really sure if this config meets the rules, this craft made 4200m/s at 36Km on LQ fuel before it auto switched to LQ/OX mode.

So, I'll try again to limit ALT to 30km and see how fast it goes....Let me know if it meets the challenge. hmmm... 6000m/s ???

1000m/s  2000m/s....3000m/s . . .4200m/s....oh! and orbit and can leave kerbal to a solar orbit....

DARKSTAR-MACH4-1.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.