[11/26/15 Update] Say Hello to the Light-Green Group!

Endersmens

Don't seek rep, as Starwhip says it's valueless. Just do what you enjoy in KSP and if people dig it they will rep.

(Please understand this post is meant in an honest way and is not meant to be offensive or rude, I thank you for your advice, this is just my thoughts on them).

I could try to do those things. I don't want to cheat my rep up, since your rep is a mix of your forum achievements and such. It shouldn't be cheated. However it does show how big of the community you are, and tbh I think I'm *decently* large (I'm not Whackjob, but I'm more known that some users). So I felt that my rep doesn't properly do me justice. I feel I should have at least 1 light green bar.

I could post everywhere but there are few threads that actually interest me. I could post everywhere but that would be spam I won't gain rep that way. Moreover my posts aren't that funny (I'm not that a funny person :( ), and although I'm smart, I'm not smart enough to gain merit for my posts. I could help people with some scientific issues, but the ones I understand enough to make a strong enough post in, only pop up once a month. I've hosted events, plans, and collaborative projects but most don't get off the ground (nor gain attention or rep). It seems I gain 1 rep every 2-3 months. At this rate, it'll take me 3 more years and I'll have 25,000 posts. At which point I should deserve more than 1 light green bar.

Lastly, I've done pretty much everything you've mentioned (that's within my range of feasibility) and the ones I haven't done I'll try. But I've made stories/fan fictions before. I'm the founder of the 2nd largest rocket building company. I am running an external RP forum (which has stalled and needs a reboot). I've made jokes and been a happy guy since day 1, and more importantly I attempted to lead a academy for new players (which also stalled) and I've been helping people as much as I could.

Tl;dr -

I've done most of your suggestions... I just want my rep to match my true REP as a member of this community. I don't want the most, I don't want least. I just want I deserve.

I've done most of your suggestions... I just want my rep to match my true REP as a member of this community. I don't want the most, I don't want least. I just want I deserve.

That's the point. Reputation as a forum reward system does not in any way equal your standing as a member of the community. I have quite a bit of rep, but do I deserve it? Heck no. I just posted enough things in the Spacecraft Exchange. I see dozens of people every day posting all over the forum, being helpful or witty or smart, and that's what I judge them on. What matters is what people think when they look at what you've written in your post, not when they look right above your avatar.

That's the point. Reputation as a forum reward system does not in any way equal your standing as a member of the community. I have quite a bit of rep, but do I deserve it? Heck no. I just posted enough things in the Spacecraft Exchange. I see dozens of people every day posting all over the forum, being helpful or witty or smart, and that's what I judge them on. What matters is what people think when they look at what you've written in your post, not when they look right above your avatar.

This is so very true. I've seen people that are here on the forum for less than a year but still have six or seven bars rep. Rarely have I seen those same people actually be useful in their replies or comments. Others are on the forum for several years and are very helpful. However they don't post much in the 'fun forum' and therefore get much less rep.

What I am about to say next is NOT a personal attack. It's just the first example I came across.

Mad Rocket Scientist: On the forum for just about half a year (since March this year) and a full 10 bars rep. This is not natural. This only happens when a group of 'friends' rep each other over and over again.

Again; this is not an attack, just an example!

This is so very true. I've seen people that are here on the forum for less than a year but still have six or seven bars rep. Rarely have I seen those same people actually be useful in their replies or comments. Others are on the forum for several years and are very helpful. However they don't post much in the 'fun forum' and therefore get much less rep.

What I am about to say next is NOT a personal attack. It's just the first example I came across.

Mad Rocket Scientist: On the forum for just about half a year (since March this year) and a full 10 bars rep. This is not natural. This only happens when a group of 'friends' rep each other over and over again.

I've seen that recently a lot of people have gotten massive amounts of rep from this thread, giving it even less meaning. It should be locked as it's a massive rep circlejerk, but then again, I'm not a moderator :P.

So.. You're accusing him of having a repfest with some people just because he has an unusually high amount of rep?

Did you even bother to see where he got his rep from? He builds stuff in the Spacecraft Exchange.

Not trying to be overly defensive, but you can't assume that someone's "hacking" his account just because he has high rep. Just saying :)

Edited by Columbia
Tried to be less hostile..

So.. You're accusing him of having a repfest with some people just because he has an unusually high amount of rep?

Did you even bother to see where he got his rep from? He builds stuff in the Spacecraft Exchange.

Not trying to be overly defensive, but you can't assume that someone's "hacking" his account just because he has high rep. Just saying :)

I made it VERY clear I am NOT attacking ANYONE! And it return attack me for it? Did YOU even bother to read?

I honestly don't care where he, you or anybody else for that matter get their rep from. So much rep in such a little time raises questions and people do jump to conclusions rather quickly. The rep system is rotten in the core and can easily be exploited. I totally understand people wishing to be a part of it no longer. To be honest I am actually considering to join them in their quest.

Again; this is NOT a personal attack on ANYBODY!

I made it VERY clear I am NOT attacking ANYONE! And it return attack me for it? Did YOU even bother to read?

I honestly don't care where he, you or anybody else for that matter get their rep from. So much rep in such a little time raises questions and people do jump to conclusions rather quickly. The rep system is rotten in the core and can easily be exploited. I totally understand people wishing to be a part of it no longer. To be honest I am actually considering to join them in their quest.

Again; this is NOT a personal attack on ANYBODY!

Excuse me, I never said I was attacking you. I said that he got most of his rep from building, informatively when you used him as an example of how people get rep so quickly, too quickly as if "a group of 'friends' rep each other over and over again." Again, just saying. I'm not attacking you.

Jeebus, calm down.

Edited by Columbia

People don't tend to rep routine posts, even ones that are funny or helpful. Posts that provide something valuable to other forumgoers (like a good craft or a useful mod) or show off a unique feat you've accomplished in the game are the ones that people will think to rep. My rep really took off when I started making comics (read them in the links below! Rep the pages that make you smile! [/shameless]) When I started, no one had really told a story in dedicated graphic novel form before--and people repped the heck out of it because it was unique. These days I have to work a bit harder: a comic page is no longer unique, but my best pages will still get a fair amount of rep. And look what I just said there -- "work a bit harder". I've said before that I find getting rep and reader comments very motivational for making better comics. If I post a page and no one reacts to it, I know that I need to do better. When I post something and the next 2 pages on the thread are filled with reader discussion, and maybe I get a few +reps too, then I know I did good.

TL;dr--Look at the top names on this list. Go to the 'reputation' tab in their profiles and see what they are getting rep for. I guarantee it's for giving the other members here something unique and awesome. Go do something unique and awesome.

And ETA: I see that you're doing many of these things as you explained in a followup post. Sorry. All I can say is keep doing them if it makes you happy. If doing the things does not make you happy then do not do the things, rep or no rep.

I enjoy most of the things I have posted, hence why I post them. But it is a major buzzkill to the drive of making those things when I get 150 views, and effectively is born and died without ever being known. Which is the story for most of my "unique" attempts (external RP forum, fanfics, academies,etc). So I'm less tempted to make or share these things when I gain no attention (never mind rep- since it will come with the success of the thread).

Guys it really doesn't matter.. If people wont rep you so what? Do you play KSP and use the forum so you can collect this valueless thing? I hope not, and imagine that's not the case. So just enjoy the game man, and be as helpful as you can on the forum.

Cheers.

I enjoy most of the things I have posted, hence why I post them. But it is a major buzzkill to the drive of making those things when I get 150 views, and effectively is born and died without ever being known. Which is the story for most of my "unique" attempts (external RP forum, fanfics, academies,etc). So I'm less tempted to make or share these things when I gain no attention (never mind rep- since it will come with the success of the thread).

I would humbly suggest that you stop paying attention to the numbers, like thread views and reputation. Make posts because you like to, not for some external points game. Your rep tally should not be a goal in and of itself IMO.

Six bars. Thanks to everyone who's ever taken the time to drop by and compliment me on anything I've done. It's been a great ride.

Well done and well-deserved! I still remember feeling, "ooh! it's Starwhip!" back in the day when you joined in on some of my challenge threads. You've been a positive force in the Forum throughout--wear those bars with pride!

If there's any advice that I could give you, once you've achieved your goal of Light Green Group... What's next? There's nothing much to it after that.

But if you want it, here's what I think:

So what if nobody cares about your amazing replica that you built for months? If there's anything I learned, it's that even in the times that you get frustrated at people (and get an extreme temptation to flame them,) or you're annoyed that people just ignored your marvelous creation, keep your chin up. Work harder! Someway, it will find it's way back to you. I'm pretty sure every builder has gone through moments when their ship was totally disregarded or (maybe they don't care, sometimes I don't :P) the more common, 0 replies, 0 notifications.

It's important to stay persevering in these situations. Who knows? Maybe you have a unique skill in.. building? (Take Majorjim and Rune) Perhaps mod-making? (NathanKell, ferram4) Or even just being a good and honest poster (..Maybe regex falls under this?).

..Your move, best of luck. (Even if it doesn't have any benefit, really xD)

- - - Updated - - -

[Arrogant] In fact, look at me! I build such awesome bombers that are of so good levels, I don't even have to take the feedback of other people anymore! I'm confident that my thinking is good enough! [/Arrogant]

Well done and well-deserved! I still remember feeling, "ooh! it's Starwhip!" back in the day when you joined in on some of my challenge threads. You've been a positive force in the Forum throughout--wear those bars with pride!

I always feel that way when zekes shows up on a thread, or when anyone with light green rep bars does really.

That challenge is still one of my favorites. :D

VxaK4wb.png

Look, reputation is what it is: imaginary internet points. It's hard to say whether anyone does or does not deserve it if it doesn't mean anything. Hell, we're all here because of a game. I hope we all realize that what we do here hardly goes beyond the scope of the game, maybe helping a few people get a grasp on some physics problems here and there. If you want something truly worthwhile, go volunteer at an animal shelter, or a hospital, invent some world-changing device, donate to a charity, write a book.

go volunteer at an animal shelter, or a hospital, invent some world-changing device, donate to a charity, write a book.

I couldn't agree more man. I love building KSP craft but it isn't real. (overpriced 3d printed craft aside) I cannot hold them in my hands. It is very important to do/make something real as well. Life is all about finding a balance.

I would humbly suggest that you stop paying attention to the numbers, like thread views and reputation. Make posts because you like to, not for some external points game. Your rep tally should not be a goal in and of itself IMO.

^^^^posts like that get you rep^^^^^

When you truly aren't trying to get rep, but you're trying to just be helpful. That's when people will take notice and hit the rep button.

And I do not take it as such.

When I saw this, I hit multi-quote, and continued to read the thread. But when I saw people getting upset, I decided to reply now.

Really, I do not take as any kind of attack. I get a lot of rep, that's true. I can't say if it's a cheat of the system, or not.

Update Progress

I have gotten to the four light green bars (started at the top) Still going, don't know how far I can get tonight.

I've been very distracted with a soundtrack I've been making, but I've put that on hold till this is done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.