Right Click Menu - Freeze Position in-game

So just thought about this.

Are you ever moving head first at high speeds into a cliff and all you have to do is right click your engine to turn it back on, but the camera angle changes! Sure you right clicked the engine, but the button to turn it on drifts further and further away as you chase it down. Finally! You clicked it! But only because the camera doesn't chase the now destroyed craft...

How about, no matter what the camera is doing, when you right click an action part, such as a parachute, engine, etc., that new window freezes in its initial position so its easy to click the button? You should know what part you clicked on, and if you don't, then how about turning off this function in the settings? Maybe the only time the window should move with the item is: a) when it is toggled off in settings; B) when you are controlling the camera with right click drag?

You can also consider having it so the camera still does its thing, but the rotation is not based on a central point on the craft. Instead, it is now, temporarily, centered on the clicked part. That way, the menu does not move at all, but the camera rotates accordingly until the menu is clicked off/away. Once the center point is back to the craft, the angle of the camera is still where it last was, but the focus point changes.

Edited by Friend Bear

or let you click parts and right click menus while pauzed (though with no effect until the next physics tick)

Also a good idea. But I wonder if at this point you should just enable paused toggling in case there are many things to be toggled at once?

I'm nervous paused toggling will take away from the spirit of the game so this might be too far, but doesn't sound bad.

I have thought of something more like docking area (not docking in the meaning of docking ports :) ) where we could stick/drop menu and they will stay there whatever the zoom/angle are.

it could be a little square on the top left corner => "pin"

if clicked: the context menu is sticked to the screen and kept open, we can "iconify" it as we wish (to avoiding hidding things behind it, especially if it's a tall one), remove it (close) or move it elsewhere.

A similar UI object as messaging introduced with 0.24 (ie recovery messages).

I have thought of something more like docking area (not docking in the meaning of docking ports :) ) where we could stick/drop menu and they will stay there whatever the zoom/angle are.

it could be a little square on the top left corner => "pin"

if clicked: the context menu is sticked to the screen and kept open, we can "iconify" it as we wish (to avoiding hidding things behind it, especially if it's a tall one), remove it (close) or move it elsewhere.

A similar UI object as messaging introduced with 0.24 (ie recovery messages).

Not a bad idea. I like the idea of being able to choose how you would like it since it is circumstantial. Sometimes it is wicked convenient to have the menu pop up directly underneath the cursor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.