Input logger for replays

Drew Kerman

Currently if I want to get another camera angle on something, I have to try and re-fly it as best I can. When I do a launch, I record it so that if I want to go back and get booster cam footage, I know how it was flown so I can attempt to re-create the conditions. It would be better though if a mod could just do this instead. This mod would rely on the initial state of the game being the same from the moment it starts recording, so when activated to begin recording user input it would create a SFS file at that point. For playback, all the mod needs to do is reload that save file and begin feeding the game the same input the player did at the same time.

The tricky part is it can't simply record all input. Obviously if you record yourself switching camera views and then want to replay the launch only from the booster cam, at some point the view will be switched during the replay. Flight controls (pitch, yaw, throttle, etc), action groups and staging events should definitely be recorded. I think that would be good enough to start with.

It has issues with replays. Because it's set up to try and let you do things like fly alongside the craft you recorded, it attempts to rebuild the craft - and comes up short in some cases. At least, I've not had much success with it and others have reported issues on the thread. It also doesn't do action groups or staging. It records the path of the craft, not the inputs, and the model that follows that path is completely static (no animations like gears up, etc)

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.