Mk 2 Decouplers

Wanderfound

I haven't seen Mk2 decouplers.

So far I've seen all the Spaceplane Plus parts, plus a swept wing and a swept wing that tapers into a point. These have replaced the stock wings and the two rectangular control surfaces (except for the swept wing and the various moving wings). The SP+ intakes have not replaced any of the old intakes. The old ram intake is still there (why is anyone's guess, it's supposed to fill the same role as the new pointy intake but it's less realistic and uglier).

The old ram intake is still there (why is anyone's guess, it's supposed to fill the same role as the new pointy intake but it's less realistic and uglier).

I would guess it will be removed in 0.26 like some of the other old parts.

I would guess it will be removed in 0.26 like some of the other old parts.

The old ram is nice if the high part face a fuselage or wing, but yes it could be replaced by an large radial one who would serve this purpose, think of the air intakes on concorde.

An essential question that I'm not sure has been addressed: does .25 include Mk2 spaceplane shaped decouplers?

Spaceplane+ don't contain them itself however its pretty easy to make an cfg mod with the probe core, however an version with openings in it would be better as it could be used to hide seperatrons.

The old ram is nice if the high part face a fuselage or wing, but yes it could be replaced by an large radial one who would serve this purpose, think of the air intakes on concorde.

Concorde style intakes are kinda similar to the original SP+ radial intakes as shown below. From media release videos it looks like they've made it into the 0.25 stock game, with possibly a slight tweak to sizing.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

(from SP+ mod page at http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80796-0-24-Spaceplane-Plus-1-3)

One of the YouTubers said there was a Mk2 RCS tank being added. That wasn't in SP+ either. I'd like to see a Mk2 battery.

Can't say I have much interest in a Mk2 decoupler myself, but it would be interesting for some.

Edited by Alshain

One of the YouTubers said there was a Mk2 RCS tank being added. That wasn't in SP+ either. I'd like to see a Mk2 battery.

Can't say I have much interest in a Mk2 decoupler myself, but it would be interesting.

I'm sure there will be plenty of creative ways to 'jam' as much stuff into a cargobay as possible.

Line the walls, node attach an I beam to the node and attach things to that also...

I'm sure there will be plenty of creative ways to 'jam' as much stuff into a cargobay as possible.

Line the walls, node attach an I beam to the node and attach things to that also...

Who said anything about the plane having a cargo bay? Cargo bays are heavy and long, why would I add a cargo bay to my crew transport and screw up the design over a battery?

We need a Mk2 battery. Preferably one that is mostly white and fits with the fuselage, rather than yellow and black.

screenshot16.png

Edited by Alshain

We could use a few parts... let's see...

- Decoupler

- Separator

- Battery

- Remote Guidance Unit

- Nose cone

- Inline Air Intake

- SAS

- And obviously some adapters like mk1-2-3 to mk1-2-3 ; Mk1,2,3 to Msize rockets ; Mk3 to Lsize rockets ; Mk3 to XLsize rockets.

;)

Edited by Sky_walker

- Decoupler - OK

- Separator - OK

- Battery - Definitely

- Remote Guidance Unit - SP+ already has this and it's in 0.25

- Nose cone - I think this is in 0.25, but don't quote me

- Inline Air Intake - SP+ has this and it's in 0.25 (see picture above, those are SP+ shock cones). EDIT: Just realized you might have meant something more like Nacelles, that could work too.

- SAS - Definitely

Edited by Alshain

Who said anything about the plane having a cargo bay? Cargo bays are heavy and long, why would I add a cargo bay to my crew transport and screw up the design over a battery?

We need a Mk2 battery. Preferably one that is mostly white and fits with the fuselage, rather than yellow and black.

<snip>

Thats what the short cargobay is meant for. I used that often to squeeze in some SAS, bats, RTS, monoprop fuel and whatnot into small planes. Wouldn't change the ( I admit rather awesome looking ) design of your plane.

Were the decouplers actually integrated in the SP+ mod or in some addon for that? I somehow remember having seen some extensions for it but cant find the link right now.

Thats what the short cargobay is meant for. I used that often to squeeze in some SAS, bats, RTS, monoprop fuel and whatnot into small planes. Wouldn't change the ( I admit rather awesome looking ) design of your plane.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. The short cargo bay is still 2 to 3 times larger than I would need for monoprop, sas, and a battery based on existing part depths. With the existing SP+ I can fit all of that in the small cargo bay and still have at least half of it left, if not more since I don't add SAS to my planes unless they are huge and would have a cargo bay. That's just waste. I'd much prefer to have parts that fit the design.

Then there is the whole weight distribution issue. With parts designed for it, I could put them where I need it. With a cargo bays I only have one place to put them... in the cargo bay. That severely limits things. That's why the plane in the picture above is sub-optimal. The tail is much heavier than I would like due to the RCS and battery. It gets very unstable at mach speeds.

Oh, thanks for the compliment too btw! That is my dream chaser inspired SSTO, not a replica but the dock/engines were inspired by it.

Edited by Alshain

Ok, I found it:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/1650-Making-decouplers-for-Spaceplane-Plus?bt=6788

It's basically cloning the SP+ probe core and add a new config for it -> SAS, batteries, decouplers...

So if it doesn't become stock, you can still make your own parts without too much hassle.

Enjoy :)

edit: I just realized who started this thread... :wink:

@Waterfound: I guess that squad either didn't get attention about your posts - its easy to overread stuff in this forums as so much is added daily - or that they simply do not want part inflation. After all there are workarounds to add the desired functionality to the planes with existing parts. Might not look that cool but I do think that they want to keep part count low - for the 32 bit clients and the fact that the game is eating a lot of RAM already.

Edited by LordFjord

- Decoupler

- Separator

- Battery

- Remote Guidance Unit

- Nose cone

- Inline Air Intake

- SAS

- And obviously some adapters like mk1-2-3 to mk1-2-3 ; Mk1,2,3 to Msize rockets ; Mk3 to Lsize rockets ; Mk3 to XLsize rockets.

;)

We still need similar things in the 3.75m lineup.

Ok, I found it:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/1650-Making-decouplers-for-Spaceplane-Plus?bt=6788

It's basically cloning the SP+ probe core and add a new config for it -> SAS, batteries, decouplers...

So if it doesn't become stock, you can still make your own parts without too much hassle.

Enjoy :)

There's also a mod with a separate parts for those, plus some others: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/85/mk2%20misc%20parts%20and%20engines

- Decoupler

- Separator

- Battery

- Remote Guidance Unit

- Nose cone

- Inline Air Intake

- SAS

;)

Also, tail-thingies, both centered and raised.

Also, tail-thingies, both centered and raised.

Won't "tail-thingies" come in? At least one type of them?

But yea - raised one would be nice. Same with asymmetrical nose cones (Ariane 5 EAP-style ).

There's also a mod with a separate parts for those, plus some others: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/85/mk2%20misc%20parts%20and%20engines

What the heck is that mod doing?!

Nose cones painted over in MS Paint?

2000 isp engine?

What?!

What the heck is that mod doing?!

Nose cones painted over in MS Paint?

2000 isp engine?

What?!

Yeah the engine is really an OP toy and there are less...colorful nosecones included. I used the utility parts from it, which match the stock aesthetic nicely.

Spaceplanes are not typically staged, at least not through the primary fuselage. I don't see the need to include a decoupler in Mk2 form factor.

Most of the other parts mentioned (batteries, SAS, etc) can simply be added in a small cargo bay.

Also, on the ram air intakes vs the new "nozzle" intakes (scram intakes?), in SP+, I believe they were available in different nodes (Ram intakes at high altitude flight, and the scrams in the same node as the RAPIER & Aerospike), which may indicate the latter has a different function than the former (probably better performance).