Gabyalufix's Quick and Dirty Submarines (0.24.2)

gabyalufix

In a bygone age, I made a very simple, plugin-free submarine proof-of-concept mod.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/5805-Gaby-s-Submarine-P-O-C-%28Download-Fixed%29?highlight=submarine+proof+concept

The principle is trivially simple. (1) A radial monopropellant tank with massive capacity, the "ballast tank". (2) An RCS thruster with massive fuel usage. (3) An RCS thruster with massive negative fuel usage.

Then you put the negative one on top, and the positive one on the bottom with the ballast tank. That way, when you turn on RCS and translate downwards, you sink. To surface, just translate upwards.

You can download the new updated mod, which works with 0.24.2, at kerbalstuff.com:

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/246/Gabyalufix%27s%20quick%20and%20dirty%20submarines

It's very basic, very quick and dirty. All the models are from stock parts. It's literally just a set of config edits.

Pics:

This ship has two tanks, to allow me to level it by activating and deactivating them as I fill the two ballast tanks.

UBtcvej.png

Diving:

DICBVBJ.png

I landed on the bottom of the sea, around 700m down.

MR7zJbz.png

I would suggest making a 'ballast' resource (it is stupidly easy) and then apply the same method with ballast instead of monoprop. I would also suggest making the ballast fairly heavy and the modded thrusters stupidly weak so we don't just have a cheat mod.

This is simply brilliant! AFAIK, all previous submarine mods have relied on massive changes to liquids on a par with FAR's changes to the air (InfiniTedice's Boat Parts mod) or changing every single part (and Kerbals, too) to sink unless attached to a "balloon" (so-called ballast tank) that makes it float (Hooligan Labs). You, OTOH, have gotten by the hellish viscosity of Kerbin's so-called "water" with the simple expedient of brute force while keeping all the game mechanics the same.

Exaulted modder, I wish I could give you more than 1 rep for this. I just about knocked my eyeballs out the back of my skull from slapping my forehead when I realized I should have thought of this :).

Damn, came out 1 day before 0.25 ;).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.