The Grand 0.25 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Well given the download logjam I'm now quite glad that I didn't get time to fire up my PC last night. Hopefully by the time I get home tonight the Canadians will have stopped stealing all our British bandwidth and I download it :D

I'm thinking it'll probably be sensible to backup my current install and install a new version from scratch, not made it past Minimus yet so it won't be too big a hardship to start from the beginning again and put some of the things I've learned from my current game in to practice.

Can anyone confirm if NEAR or FAR work with 0.25? If I'm starting again now seems like the sensible time to experiment with proper aerodynamics.

Edited by RizzoTheRat

I was just wondering i remembered a while back the devs were saying that they were hampered in there development of ksp until unity 5 came out

is there any new news on this front

Unity 5 is still in development, nothing news.

And even if they'd release it - it might take months till they implement it (AFAIK that's how long it took when they were implementing one of the older unity upgrades into KSP).

Can anyone confirm if NEAR or FAR work with 0.25? If I'm starting again now seems like the sensible time to experiment with proper aerodynamics.

For information like that always look into forum topics of the mods that interest you.

So I had just made it into orbit in a new game. Got back and tested a mainsail in orbit for 700kish funds. Decided to get another expensive contract before I tried to get to the mun. But before I did that I made the change in administration to 100% outsourced science.

For the low cost of the policy, one probe, an LRB KB 1x2 in orbit test and the tanks and fuel to get it there I spent 260k and no kerbal lives. Crashed it like a bomb back into kerbins mountians, after all who cares about a probe. Bam 37,406 science. I win! Or at least I can now research the entire space program without ever leaving Kerbins orbit. I think thats broken dont you?

23wseh3.jpg:confused:

THEY LISTENED! In the Tracking Station Flags are disabled by default, just like Debris!

No?! Yay! :D

Just changed some settings and now I am stuck in window mode even though I have the disable fullscreen button unchecked. Grumble gurmble........

Used the command line options?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/916-The-Power-of-Unity-s-Command-Lines-arguments

The new update made my game run really smooth for some reason. Phew, now I don't need to buy a new computer anymore!

Have you already installed all your mods? :wink:

Both have been updated for .25 and FAR seems to work fine for me.

Yeah I know the feeling... Did you have the same problem with your first orbital flight? I launched my first orbital mission without batteries and solar panels, not enough science :(

Life support ate up all of my electricity and I wasn't able to rotate my capsule anymore. With FAR and DRE that means I was pretty much screwed. I had to eva and push the capsule with the kerbal to get the heatshield pointing forward. Just after FAR kicked in and held it in position I got back in. It worked but I do not want to do that again, ever.

oh and jeb died anyway because my parachute was like "nope, try again later" and my pod pancaked somewher in the desert :/

I think thats broken dont you?

One might say "you can play the game the way you like to do", anotherone might say "KSP still needs balancing and polishing" - but as always: Squad/KSP is not done yet.

Although being able to "sell" all our science makes sense after unlocking the tech tree.

But I concur, this belongs on the list of "things to look into". :)

Wow, I know they aren't finished, but that's a major oversight.

There should at least be some very basic balancing.

This looks like something that just slipped through the testing?

Edited by Tommygun

They didn't balance the last major patch (contracts) either. Just pop a kerbal somewhere and repeat the "science from" or "plant a flag" contracts for unlimited resources. So I guess they just add features at the moment, leave the balancing to modders, and (hopefully) get into that later.

Its not a placeholder, BUT it will be balanced after "scope completion". That doesn't mean we will like the balance SQUAD aims at, we will get an indication in 0.26 with the new biomes.

I have a feeling KSP is currently marketed more as a "experimental destruction simulator" then a game about space/sience. In that context you don't have to leave the Kerbin-System, not even really leave Kerbin. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there will be no need to leave Kerbin System even in 1.0 to get all the parts.

Seems to be a bit of a dilemma. Many just play on Kerbin, launch a few rockets, maybe try to do Apollo, and thats about it. To keep these ppl interested you need more stuff to do on Kerbin, and also get all the parts on Kerbin. On the other hand that takes away from the real space challenge, but didn't SQUAD mention KSP doesn't want to be a space simulator anyways, arguing that it would be too difficult (i don't agree btw, but thats not for me to say)?

Edited by Geneborg

Now I have another copy of the game called Another KSP, which is the successor of Cash KSP. I tried to use the patcher to upgrade Cash KSP instead, but then I ended up with duplicates of all parts. I haven't had many positive experiences with the patcher. :(

If you wind the difficulty down to easy level, and it's easy, then it is working fine right off the bat. If the "too easy" goes away on hard mode, then it isn't a problem.

That's not how it works.

If they make game so easy that players have no chance to see any of the game features that devs worked on simply because they're done with campaign in 5 mintues then it's an obvious f*** up.

Why I can't collect science point in sandbox mode?

I heard that 0.25 unlocked the science part for sandbox mode:(

You can now collect the science, as in it will give you the same messages you get in career or science game modes. If you want to collect science and use that science to unlock parts then start a new game in the "Science" game mode. Or career of course :)

Now I have another copy of the game called Another KSP, which is the successor of Cash KSP. I tried to use the patcher to upgrade Cash KSP instead, but then I ended up with duplicates of all parts. I haven't had many positive experiences with the patcher. :(

I do manual installs all the time. I just dont like patchers or launch applications. It has never failed me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.