The Grand 0.25 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Here is where you should post it: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/forums/76-Support-%28unmodded-installs%29

Or make a proper bug report in the bug reporting system (wherever it is).

The bugtracker is here, though I think it might need a seperate account from the forum account to post bugs to. That much I'm not too sure about because I only started using it when I got experimentals access with the green username and an account got set up for me (thanks, Ted).

Probably best to just use the unmodded support forums, assuming an unmodded (literally nothing in GameData asides Squad and NASAMission) install.

Wait, my KSC doesn't look like that, and there are no trees, despite the fact I'm using high settings. :huh:

:

It looks like he is using Lack Luster Lab's "KSC++" mod.

I think Kerbtown is broken in 0.25 for the moment though.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24906-WIP-LLL-Lack-Luster-Labs-LLL-12-2-10MAY2014-SXT-17a-30AUG2014-KSC-v3

So far I'm having a LOT of fun in Career Hard mode. By the time I got to the mid tech tree levels, I was unlocking nodes with science but couldn't pay to unlock all the parts. This is excellent.

However, Outsourced Technology really does need to be re-tweaked. It upsets game balance significantly even at a low 10% commitment which I currently have it set to.

I think the conversion rate should be reduced by an order of magnitude or more. Perhaps make conversions even worse as difficulty level scales up. I suggest 1 science for every 350 funds for normal mode, and 1 science for every 1000 funds on hard.

I'm still in early game (just Mun and Minmus so far) and the contracts I'm being offered, combined with a 10% commitment to Outsourced Technology, gives me science gains that I would normally have to go to Jool for.

Can anyone confirm that this conversion ratio makes the game too easy on 10%/10%/10% science/funds/rep settings? I might give it a try and see.

- Buildings looks like indestructible in sandbox mode (unless it needs a 500t "missile" to scratch the paint) despite the related option is not checked :(,

- explosions are just ridiculous ("overpowered" maybe), does the one who made them have already seen some explosions ? :huh:

- what's next ? End of "level" bosses ? (as strategies are just a bonus/malus system)

and finally promoting weapons (like via modding mondays + destructive buildings which add nothing to the game) is a very bad choice :(.

Angry kids have a lot's of games which allow destruction to play with like Red Faction Guerilla.

I've found the new wing parts look best when the black edges are overlapped on adjacent parts, makes the wings look more like a single piece rather than a patchwork quilt. They are fiddly to align well, though. Haven't seen the clipping issue being described, though I play with very low graphical settings.

That is why the black bit is there, too; it's a visual alignment guide. Shuffle the wings together until the black bar disappears and you have 'em as close as you can get them without inducing flicker.

Sometimes I want the black line, sometimes I don't, and even when I don't it's easy to get rid of and useful.

- Buildings looks like indestructible in sandbox mode (unless it needs a 500t "missile" to scratch the paint) despite the related option is not checked :(,

- explosions are just ridiculous ("overpowered" maybe), does the one who made them have already seen some explosions ? :huh:

- what's next ? End of "level" bosses ? (as strategies are just a bonus/malus system)

and finally promoting weapons (like via modding mondays + destructive buildings which add nothing to the game) is a very bad choice :(.

Angry kids have a lot's of games which allow destruction to play with like Red Faction Guerilla.

Destructible buildings wasn't created to support weapon mods.... it was to add risk to poor launches/designs

Your assumptions are wrong, my friend.

So far I'm having a LOT of fun in Career Hard mode. By the time I got to the mid tech tree levels, I was unlocking nodes with science but couldn't pay to unlock all the parts. This is excellent.

However, Outsourced Technology really does need to be re-tweaked. It upsets game balance significantly even at a low 10% commitment which I currently have it set to.

I think the conversion rate should be reduced by an order of magnitude or more. Perhaps make conversions even worse as difficulty level scales up. I suggest 1 science for every 350 funds for normal mode, and 1 science for every 1000 funds on hard.

I'm still in early game (just Mun and Minmus so far) and the contracts I'm being offered, combined with a 10% commitment to Outsourced Technology, gives me science gains that I would normally have to go to Jool for.

Can anyone confirm that this conversion ratio makes the game too easy on 10%/10%/10% science/funds/rep settings? I might give it a try and see.

I disagree. Just because you find it OP doesn't mean that other people enjoy the grind of unlocking nodes. I put 25% of my income into Outsourced Technology, and had the tree unlocked by the time I came back from the Explore Minmus mission. Now I can split my science between rep and income while I explore the rest of the system with all of the tech at my disposal. Nerfing Strategies totally defeats the purpose of their implementation, IMHO.

Why is the black paint so problematic? It looks elegant. :blush:

I agree, with the SP+ MK2 fuselage. Let's have a look at it when used on the MK1:

c1aKZ09.jpg

Not so elegant now. It looks completely out of place. But, here's my real problem. I know I'm one of only a handful of builders who make large SSTO lifters but there's also the consideration of builders who make space fairing capital ships and even stations using wing parts. Why not just use a plain whitish colour? Instead we get this the quilt effect. I shall rename this craft the "Baby Blanket":

mwjzfQy.jpg

I disagree. Just because you find it OP doesn't mean that other people enjoy the grind of unlocking nodes. I put 25% of my income into Outsourced Technology, and had the tree unlocked by the time I came back from the Explore Minmus mission. Now I can split my science between rep and income while I explore the rest of the system with all of the tech at my disposal. Nerfing Strategies totally defeats the purpose of their implementation, IMHO.

Is that the purpose of strategies, though?

You could have had the same tech boost by tweaking % science rewards or starting science in the difficulty screen. But I think the strategies can be more than just shortcuts and customisation options. A bit of actual strategy by the player is required if they get the balance right.

Maybe we can both be happy if Squad makes the conversion ratio a slider in the difficulty settings panel as well? Win-win!

Fun fact: the little lights at both ends of the runway are considered separate entities to destroy. Also, you can destroy the mk1 memorial. You haven't destroyed everything, until you've destroyed those. :)

I did destroy the memorial, but not the lights. Thanks for the tip. *evil laugh*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.