Structural Wing Type A does not attach properly [workaround inside]

In v0.25, the new Structural Wing Type A cannot be attached properly: it clips too deep into the fuselage or other wing part it is attached to, causing z-fighting and misalignment with other wing parts.

qIzrkQ5.png

EDIT:

Found a temporary workaround!

I talked to Porkjet to make sure he is aware of this, and he hinted at a temporary fix by editing the CFG files of the affected parts. These are located here:

GameData/Squad/SPP/Wings

Open the respective files in a text editor and change the node_attach line as indicated below:

structural1.cfg:

node_attach = 0.04, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1

connector1.cfg:

node_attach = 0.006, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1

structural4.cfg:

node_attach = 0.007, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1

Thanks Kristian for spotting the additional parts.

Edited by AlmostDifferent

No, it's a bug. The other wing parts fit correctly. Also, SP+ didn't have that problem with this part.

Yes it did. I was fighting SP+ with this just yesterday, though I'm not sure if it's the structural wing or the small delta wing. Large delta wings have always seemed to fit better than the smaller counterparts.

It's all good. I definitely agree that it can be annoying. The connection edges were intentionally sunk into the black edging a bit to make the wing parts flow together a bit more seamlessly. I'll double check the overlap on that part and see how much worse it is than the others.

Cheers,

~Claw

I've just noticed this as well. It's nothing game breaking, but it's really, really sloppy and I would have expected better. The z-fighting especially looks bad and you'd think they would have take the time to make sure the edges of the parts align well. :huh:

Also, related to the SP+ parts, I know PorkJet hadn't gotten around to creating the crew cabin internals (at least I didn't notice any updates as far as that went) but you'd really think with all the build up to this, they'd have insured that the part was released in stock with a decent internal. I've noticed the lack of one causes mild IVA bugs as well, if you transfer a Kerbal to the crew cabin via the new transfer method, then try to use the V key to cycle through IVA views. Just feels sloppy.

Edited by Boomerang

• 4 weeks later...
I think this could (mostly) be fixed by having each wing type be an ever so slightly different thicknesses.

The z-fighting is not the real problem here - the part just sits too far in its parent. In SP+, it aligns properly. It's probably just an ill-placed connector or something.

Thanks for the fix! Upon applying it, I discovered that the same problem seems to pester wing connector A, causing IMMENSE z-fighting when placing them adjacent to each other. Changing the first value in the node_attach line to 0.005 seems to fix it.

EDIT:

Sorry, too hasty. It should be 0.006.

Edited by Kristian

There's more. Structural Wing Type D is off too. Changin the first value in the node_attach line to 0.005 makes it attach with beautiful precision.

My God Squad, why? Why have you forsaken us?!?

Man, you're picky, but rightly so! Although I found that 0.007 is a better offset. I added that to the first post, too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.