Radial Decouplers still not fixed???

It's hard for me to tell your exact meaning from the pictures Giggle, but yeah some of the parts were experiencing "disappearance" while being collided into by parts being decoupled with the radial decouplers. There was just enough tipage that they would strike the middle part at the same time, causing the middle part to disappear (being destroyed) but the separated parts did not.

It's hard for me to tell your exact meaning from the pictures Giggle, but yeah some of the parts were experiencing "disappearance" while being collided into by parts being decoupled with the radial decouplers. There was just enough tipage that they would strike the middle part at the same time, causing the middle part to disappear (being destroyed) but the separated parts did not.

Sorry I couldn't find a better picture, but yeah, that's the bug.

Sorry I couldn't find a better picture, but yeah, that's the bug.

Personally I don't think it's the disappearance that's the bug. Just a bad byproduct of the broken separation mechanics. But it's definitely annoying.

It's possible you are staging just after your engines cut. If your boosters are unstrutted, they sometimes wobble (and point inward) and if you decouple, then the tops of the boosters will collide. Try seperating your boosters later or add struts to stiffen it. Or use the more powerful decoupler :)

No dtoxic, they have not been fixed in 0.25.

Cheers,

~Claw

(SAD, SAD FACE) That was the very first thing I checked. Fortunately, even though the stages were destroyed, the upper stages were unharmed. Its really cool to have the new administration building and all the flexibility with so many settings but I wish this would get fixed even if I have applied engineering workarounds.

Yeah, it seems odd because AFAIK it was just a tweak to a part file config.

Unfortunately it isn't just a tweak to the .cfg file. You can sort of work around the problem by tweaking that file, but that doesn't actually fix the heart of the problem. I think it has more to do with how velocities are imparted to the decouplers when detached. The stack decouplers are actually bugged too, you just don't see it because the broken velocity transfer doesn't cause the parts to tip.

~Claw

It's the same thing from 0.24. How could something they've known about this long not get fixed?

It's software. How long you know about a bug isn't as important as how long it's going to take to fix and what you could have fixed or added instead with that time.

No dtoxic, they have not been fixed in 0.25.

Cheers,

~Claw

Ugh. I wish I could say I was confident in their willingness to acknowledge and squash this bug as opposed to deflecting reports with "use more separatrons."

Ugh. I wish I could say I was confident in their willingness to acknowledge and squash this bug as opposed to deflecting reports with "use more separatrons."

Well, there's a whole list of bugs that need to be squashed. This one is actually the result of squashing a stack separator bug, so at the moment it's the lesser of two evils. Also, many of us who try to help on the forums aren't trying to deflect your reports by saying "use more separatrons." We are trying to provide work-arounds until such time as it's fixed.

Cheers,

~Claw

There is a good enough fix you can do yourself. From the thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92235-Cross-Platform-Issues-Thread

The files are named differently and are in folders now, but they are easy to spot and so are the offending lines. There is enough here to fix the issue and there is more in the linked thread if you want more details.

The following copied from linked thread:

[0.25] Radial Decouplers Not Decoupling Correctly (parts collide) – [PARTIAL FIX]

FIXES:

- For new rocket designs, design with the collision risk in mind. Add separatrons or make the entire stage fall away (as opposed to radial boosters).

- Try Targa's fix (originally posted here). I've copied Targa's fix below.

Navigate to your Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility folder. Locate the .cfg files in the following three folders: radialDecoupler, radialDecoupler1-2, and radialDecoupler2. Open them with Notepad or another text editor and change the code at the bottom to look like this:

Original Code

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnchoredDecoupler
anchorName = anchor
ejectionForce = 250
explosiveNodeID = srf
}

Since we've identified the issue lies in the use of the ModuleAnchoredDecoupler script, we'll use the ModuleDecouple script instead in order to achieve the desired results. Like so:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDecouple
ejectionForce = 650
explosiveNodeID = srf
}

Well, there's a whole list of bugs that need to be squashed. This one is actually the result of squashing a stack separator bug, so at the moment it's the lesser of two evils. Also, many of us who try to help on the forums aren't trying to deflect your reports by saying "use more separatrons." We are trying to provide work-arounds until such time as it's fixed.

Cheers,

~Claw

The problem is that work around doesn't even work. The issue at hand is when the decouplers release they put an unnatural outward rotation on the object, so sepatrons or not, the top of that stupid booster is going to destroy your rocket. The sepatrons make it worse because it just rotates faster.

The work around I have found to this is kill the engines, then separate. The momentum of the booster will not be much different from the rocket so it seems less likely to cause damage when it rotates around and just bounces off. Once it bounces off and you are clear you can floor it and get away before it comes around again.

Edited by Alshain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.