Rocket destroying launchpad by just sitting on it

I'm not using launch clamps, but this is really annoying.

The launchpad can be destroyed by the sheer weight of an rocket. For those users who dislike using launch clamps or have rockets that are too big for them, this will be a big problem.

sGl3c9L.png

The launchpad should be set to be able be destroyed if it is impacted beyond a certain velocity (e.g. 20m/s).

A temporary fix is to enable indestructible buildings, but that's no fun.

Edited by Giggleplex777

x86, but it's probably the same in x64.

Win 7 64bit here.

One of my favorite rockets now totally collapses and blows up on the launch pad. I figure you tweaked the physics model, so I reinforce the rocket , now it doesn’t collapse, but there’s still huge fire on a launch pad, after which the launch pad appears destroyed, but the rocket is unharmed.

I hit F3 and it shows no flight events at all.

The rocket launches fine.

Like I said, looks like a bug.

I guess I’ll be turning on “indestructible†KSC mode.

If it's anything like the issue Kofeyh had with that a few hours ago, it's caused by the rocket hitting the pad when physics kicks in.

Solution: Launch clamps.

You mean the red Gantry thingy. I used three (and some more struts) , like I said,now it doesn't blow up.

But the huge fire that destroys the launchpad, but doesn't harm the rocket, and doesn't appear in the Flight Events... that looks like a bug.

There doesn't appear to be a reason for the fire, the rocket is fine, no fuel consumed.

What was on fire? The concrete launchpad?

If it's anything like the issue Kofeyh had with that a few hours ago, it's caused by the rocket hitting the pad when physics kicks in.

Solution: Launch clamps.

It is the onload event; it was enough force to break a strut and ram a SSRB into the pad, starting a chain reaction. Ship experienced 4G on physics load and accelerated to 125m/s; which are a bit above potential freefall.

Launch clamps with a vehicle suspended will stop any sudden G causing part collision with the pad. I should imagine the above is some combination of weight and or part load interacting and causing the physics engine to believe there's a collision occurring (the debug log would have recorded activity even if the post flight log showed zero issue).

This isn't a bug I don't think; so much as a consequence of the slightly random nature of the violence that occurs during physics load. We've all seen craft bounce slightly when switching to landed vehicles, for example. It's not a consistent thing. I may never see another pad explosion again.

If nothing else, launch clamps now have an absolute and vital purpose; beyond any potential bugs.

Edited by kofeyh

Wait...

Your telling me when I update all my mods to .25 (deleted all of them) my 250000 ton planned megarocket is going to make the launchpad blow up? And I want to have destrictible buildings for the failiures. Well thats a bummer

EDIT: Also, that rocket is probably the weight of an average duna rocket. Imagine going to Eve (return), Jool, Moho, or Dres (space potato getting recognition) or Eeloo. It would be practically impossible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.