EVA Ejects at High Velocity [.25]

Just started a new career game (no mods - completely stock KSP) ... in the starter command pod with only the starter parachute attached on the top, attempting to EVA in orbit (75km+) seems to violently eject the kerbal at high velocity away from the craft. I have tried this with all sorts of different part configurations and they all result in this (sporadic - 50%-of-the-time) behavior. In addition, the kerbal seems to "drift" on the ladder that is built-in to the command pod.

This is a pretty annoying problem that usually results in me having to quicksave before every EVA because I don't want to spend 2 minutes trying to get back to my craft.

Claw (Mod) Edit: See this post for an add-on fix to this bug.

Edited by Claw

I have a similar problem. When going EVA from the Mk 1 Command Pod anywhere - LKO, Kerbin atmosphere, Munar orbit, etc - the kerbals tend to get shoved off the ladders the second the exit. It's annoying trying to get EVA reports. It seems to me that the higher the altitude is, the more they move.

More details:

After circularizing into LKO (75km x 80km) this happened when I EVA'd to get a report, but it wasn't severe. Just floated off the ladder upwards.

On my way to a Mun encounter, at a high altitude (around 1.5 Mm iirc) this bug sent me off the ladder at close to 4 m/s.

At the Mun at my periapsis (50km) the kerbal didn't really move much at all except for a slight upwards drift (this happens in 0.24.2 as well, so no real change)

On my way back from the Mun in a highyl elliptical orbit, at my apoapsis (32km x 4.5 Mm) the kerbal was again, flung off the ladder at about 3.5 m/s.

I have a similar problem. When going EVA from the Mk 1 Command Pod anywhere - LKO, Kerbin atmosphere, Munar orbit, etc - the kerbals tend to get shoved off the ladders the second the exit. It's annoying trying to get EVA reports. It seems to me that the higher the altitude is, the more they move.

I am at the point to where I am just going to put down playing .25 until they fix this -- it's extremely frustrating :(

I have same problem. Annoying to maneuver back to pod in every EVA.

And I have linux 64bit, if it helps.

Same here. Mint 17 x64 XFCE.

Though its not as bad as the time I put the antenna on the ladder below the cockpit door in .24.2...Jeb came out and was impaled so many times from the clipping that occurred when he spawned on the antenna, then he was flung from the ship and managed to chase it down to 40000m when he bumped into it just a little too hard, spun the rocket, and was punted all the way down into the ocean.

Just chiming in with another confirmation. Happened to me dozens of times last night. In previous versions I had similar things happen occasionally, but this is around 2/3 of the time, and the force he's sent tumbling away from the craft is high. It's almost as if the craft is accelerating (and it only was once when I tried to hit shift to hold ladder position right as I EVA'd... it cranked up the engine a bit, and I had to go chasing after the craft... that was fun)

Having the same issue here on OSX, and also, grabbing the Mk1 command pod's ladder during a spacewalk occasionally has a similar effect where my kerbal grabs it for a split second and then drifts off again at several meters per second, as if his gloves are covered in butter.

I haven't seen a Kerbal shoot away rapidly yet, that's usually caused by an object near the hatch.

That is what I thought was happening, but this is a Mk1 Command Pod with literally nothing attached except the Mk16 Parachute on top and a TR-18A Stack Decoupler below.

I think there is a larger issue with Kerbals on EVA drifting because I've seen it happen on other pods and ladders in general.

Confirm win 32bit, either they get flung away, refuse to grab the ladder.. or start sliding 'down' the ladder. At times the flinging can be.. extreme, i used 75% of Jeb's thruster pack at one point just stabilizing.

Confirm win 32bit, either they get flung away, refuse to grab the ladder.. or start sliding 'down' the ladder. At times the flinging can be.. extreme, i used 75% of Jeb's thruster pack at one point just stabilizing.

I mean, I'm not going to say I told you so or anything else because they don't seem to be listening.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75971-Fix-Kerbals-so-they-dont-drift-or-fall-off-ladder-when-going-EVA?p=1080451#post1080451

I have the same problem. It's kinda boring to use jetpack while collecting biome science in near space...

More of a problem is the 100% chance of falling off the MKI pod at 500 feet with chuts fully deployed (I never had a problem with this before 0.25)

Agreed ... if I were a new player, this would be a terrible user experience.

This is what I've been thinking. I haven't had any kerbals ejected off hatches or ladders yet, but every time I've EVA'd, there's been entirely unnecessary motion when the kerbal ought to be holding still on the ladder. Can't hang on while moving slowly in atmo, and in orbit, they're quick to drift off the ladder, which would totally ruin missions, if I was new.

Between this and the poor attaching of the Structural Wing A, combined with all the hype leading up to what's really a fairly minor update, makes this all feel very sloppy.

Edited by Boomerang

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.