I just download the news KSP update:-)

On my account profile i saw warning that 64x version is not stable, i used 24.2 (64x) i just wonder does i can use saves from 64x version.

And when i can download updates for mechjeb, kerbal alarm clock and hgr rocket mod? The only modes i use.

And why 64 bit version is unstable? and with 32 bit or 64 bit version is better in you opinion?

If they get the 64 bit option stable, it will be the better version because the extra precision means smaller rounding errors. It will also have access to more memory.

In the meantime 32 bit version is better. Fewer bugs, more stable.

KAC still works it seems, it is working in mine so far. Not that I have had a chance to test it all that much. The other mods I am using seem to work as well. I would suggest just trying the current mods in sandbox and seeing if they function. It isn't anything to remove them again if they don't.

1. Saves should work fine, it's just that the game itself is less stable.

2. You can download the updates when they are available (when the mod authors publish updates).

3. The 64 bit version is less stable because of the engine that the game was built upon. This game sort of bend the engine over backwards..so bugs and instability ensue.

If they get the 64 bit option stable, it will be the better version because the extra precision means smaller rounding errors. It will also have access to more memory.

Floating point formats are unchanged between x86 and x86-64. Even the lowly 8087 can handle double-precision (64-bit) floating point numbers (internally at 80 bits), and all Intel processors since the Pentium have had 64-bit data paths (barring some one-offs like the Overdrive chips for 486 boards etc) and can handle doubles quite well.

The only real benefit to x86-64 is the enhanced address range, and vastly improved planned obsolescence.

If they get the 64 bit option stable, it will be the better version because the extra precision means smaller rounding errors.

64-bit software does not inherently have higher-precision floating point arithmetic.

At the moment, KSP uses 80-bit floating point arithmetic, which is standard double precision. Most CPUs are optimized to do that sort of computation very quickly, despite the weird bit size and without regard to the operating system's bit-size architecture.

tl;dr you'll have more memory space, maybe, but that's really the only advantage.

edit: ninja'd!

64-bit software does not inherently have higher-precision floating point arithmetic.

At the moment, KSP uses 80-bit floating point arithmetic, which is standard double precision. Most CPUs are optimized to do that sort of computation very quickly, despite the weird bit size and without regard to the operating system's bit-size architecture.

tl;dr you'll have more memory space, maybe, but that's really the only advantage.

edit: ninja'd!

I see I was mistaken. Thanks for the correction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.