KSP 0.25 Speed Challenge!

Do You Think You Got What It Takes?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think You Got What It Takes?

• I'm Like Flash. I Can Go Faster Than Light.
    • I Don't Know But Ill Try!
    • No.

Got what it takes to become a bubbling mix of your own airplane? can you go so fast that your plane spontaneously combusts?

Well, if you can. Put a picture, a video, a gif. heck anything will work! just show and prove to the community you know aeronautics and you're not afraid to show them. Good Luck! Dont Burn Yourself Doing this. i cant be held accountable for your mistakes :sticktongue: <-- Hes licking the border of the picture

1016741_785072254890585_6679722055732073471_n.jpg?oh=2c16cddbc8a9b1d056446940104c9e4b&oe=54B165FB

Goal: Go As Fast And Optionally As High As Possible

RULES

NO HUGE ROCKETS!

IT MUST BE IN SOME FORM OF ATMOSPHERE. IF ITS GOT CARBON, OXYGEN, HYDROGEN, NITROGEN, OR ANY OTHER GAS IT WILL WORK

IF YOU USE FAR, OR NEAR, YOU MUST TELL US OR SHOW US, OR YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED!

NO GLITCHES. DONT ABUSE AERODYNAMICS AND DONT USE ROCKETS/ION ENGINES. OR MONOPROPPELENT ENGINES

Have Fun. May the fastest man have all the beer the eye can see! :cool:

I Look older in this picture. i swear, i really dont look like that. Ok, maybe im getting a few white hairs as im gettin older.

Edited by Old Man Jenkins

Trying to recreate this, huh?

unfortunately, glitchs win the game unless you say dont abuse lifting surfaces.

Also: you should probably rule out all rockets, AND ion propulsion, as the previous thread.

nvm. previous thread still up.

go here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/27296-The-MachingBird-Challenge%21

Im not recreating anything. i just was making a .25 speed challenge, just because something has been done in the past doesnt mean doing it again is copying or whatever. if people go by that logic, america was copying russia by trying to get to space and the moon. or android trying to make their phones better than apple and so on by using their stuff. etc etc

Well, there's no possible way to exceed 2400 m/s with jet engines only. The jet velocity curve for turbojets says 000% thrust at 2400 speed (2400 m/s.) Yep, it's impossible. Airhogging is how you get close enough, but the lower you are, the more impossible it is. The only feasible way I can think of to exceed this limit is to fly straight up and accelerate enough to get a Mun gravity assist to catapult you back into the atmosphere. Other than that, impossible.

Well, there's no possible way to exceed 2400 m/s with jet engines only. The jet velocity curve for turbojets says 000% thrust at 2400 speed (2400 m/s.) Yep, it's impossible. Airhogging is how you get close enough, but the lower you are, the more impossible it is. The only feasible way I can think of to exceed this limit is to fly straight up and accelerate enough to get a Mun gravity assist to catapult you back into the atmosphere. Other than that, impossible.

With the turbojet speed limit in mind, maybe try to get a running start and then aim for the highest suborbital arc you can manage, and then shut your intakes to minimize drag and fly "downhill" like a lawn dart? Probably squeak out a few more m/s with gravity doing the accelerating, up until you hit terminal velocity. Have to get above about 35,000m, since that's roughly where terminal velocity is 2400m/s. And to get there, you'd probably have to airhog like mad... but it would still be fun. It's like a turbojet-launched ballistic roller-coaster for kerbals!

Just because it's impossible doesn't mean I can't try! Never take anything for granted, that's my motto! :D

Yes, now that I have finally downloaded 0.25, I'll be trying this. Stay tuned!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.