[0.25] [x] Science! v4.0 (2014-10-24) [Old thread]

Bodrick

Sorry for the double post, but v1.1 is now available to download.

Changelog:

---
* Mod now correctly disables itself in Sandbox mode (stops the VAB lockup bug)
* Can now use the | symbol to do OR searches e.g. "goo Mun|Minmus"
* Optimized experiment list rendering
* Will automatically detect OrbitalScience if installed, and add its experiments to the list
* Biomes are now displayed in the experiment list correctly
* Fixed some experiments not appearing in the list if they took biomes into account
* Fixed "while landed at sun" experiments appearing in the list
* Fixed science levels not taking game difficulty settings into account

Enjoy! :)

Ok, have to backpedal a bit. Nice you got the same idea and just started to make it on your own. When i wrote my comment, i just came back from Banished forums - 5 different modders all have their own german translation mod and noone even tries to work together. I was concerned about a similiar situation in ksp community. Oh, and i will try out your approach, maybe its better for me too ;)

I have significant performance issues with xScience (freezes in vab every x seconds, freezes at descend, 10 part rocket). It was in the last batch of addons I installed. Then I uninstalled them piece by piece, tried to nail the problem to a specific one. I know about the F12 debug log, but never used it. It seems that when loading VAB from main menu, xScience interferes with Squad's Building Code, many yellow lines.

Log file:output_log.txt

xScience 1.1

Kerbal Space Program 0.25 32Bit

Windows 7 64Bit, 16GB DDR3, i7, GTX 560

Other addons installed:

Achievements, AntennaRange, Asmis ECLSS, ContractWindow, DMagic_Orbitalscience, EditorExtensions, KerbalAlarmClock, KSP-AVC, Landingheight, Mechjeb, Module Manager 2.5.1^, RCSLandAid, ScanSat, StageRecovery, StationScience, Toolbar, UniversalStorage Core+ECLSS, USITools (requirement UniversalStorage), ToadicusTools (requirement AntennaRange).

edit: oh and i'm playing career mode

Edited by Tahib

Thanks for the log file - sorry to hear you're having problems :(

Most of the time you don't need be worried about yellow lines in that log file - red is the bad colour there! However, I can see why you could be having problems here. I've already fixed one memory leak when the experiment window is open - and in addition, your log file shows that the mod seems to be getting loaded many times instead of just once. I'll look into it this evening for you :)

Nice :)

You were right, i like the UI more than ScienceLibrary, plus its outdated (no live tracking of UniversalStorage Experiments). There's now only one thing left i'm missing in xScience: a hot list, which experiments on ship are available currently.

Picture explains what i'm trying to suggest (Science Monitor is part of Science Library):

y7krcWj.png

I like the premise of this mod, but there's one big problem...

It's showing experiments that are impossible to perform. I would have taken a screenshot, but the one three posts up actually shows the problem; the bottom entries are things like "Crew Report while splashed down at Kerbin's Mountains". Last I checked, mountains aren't made of liquid.

I'm also seeing listings of experiments performed at Launch Pad, Runway, and KSC, that don't involve being landed. I'm 99% sure that, for example, a crew report while flying over the launch pad becomes a crew report while flying over Kerbin's shores.

For some weird reason mod's window suddenly changed size and became like 1/4 of normal, which doesn't even display all text it's supposed to. I can't figure out how to resize it (strangely enough it happened before with other mod for action group management, so maybe problem isn't exactly related to Science!), any advices maybe?

Update: nevermind, it fixed itself after restart.

Edited by Mystique

There are lakes and rivers in pretty much all of the Kerbin biomes that you can splash down in (the only one I'm not 100% sure about is the Mountain biome).

You're right about the KSC biomes - the method I'm using to get them at the moment isn't ideal. I just found a better way of getting the available biomes, so in the next version this will be fixed (as well as adding all the other surface biomes around KSC) :)

Sneak peek for the next version ;)

G5pANd4.png

Just need to sort out some tooltips, move the biome indicator a bit, and fix another memory leak :)

Additionally - lakes in mountains confirmed:

gxWcI3S.png

Edited by Bodrick

v2.0 is out!

Changelog:

---
* Implemented current situation detection and filter.
* Added tooltips to buttons
* Completed experiment progress bars are now rendered in a different colour.
* Replaced text on filter buttons with icons.
* Fixed several memory leaks.
* Fixed addon being loaded multiple times

PyOroQP.pngPIQvJDv.png

Enjoy :)

Edited by Bodrick

Dont forget an option to filter known biomes. And I would change the experiment filter from unlocked to known meaning you have to do at least 1 experiment with the equipment for it to show in the list. And same for the biome. Just my two cents.

WXkN7C1.png

Getting some inconsistent results for the x/y complete, green/blue bars and the green text for "done" science. Seems to all be related to rounding error, where there is still some non-useful amount of science to be had (thanks KSP, do I *really* need to go out to get that surface sample for 0.01 science?).

id = mysteryGoo@KerbinSrfLandedRunway
title = Mystery Gooâ„¢ Observation from Runway
dsc = 1
scv = 0.0006544896
sbv = 0.3
sci = 3.897448
cap = 3.9
}
Science
{
id = crewReport@KerbinSrfLandedRunway
title = Crew Report from Runway
dsc = 1
scv = 0
sbv = 0.3
sci = 1.5
cap = 1.5
}
Science
{
id = surfaceSample@KerbinSrfLandedRunway
title = Surface Sample from Runway
dsc = 1
scv = 0.0009765625
sbv = 0.3
sci = 11.98828
cap = 12
}
Science
{
id = evaReport@KerbinSrfLandedRunway
title = EVA Report from Runway
dsc = 1
scv = 0
sbv = 0.3
sci = 2.4
cap = 2.4
}
Science
{
id = mobileMaterialsLab@KerbinSrfLandedRunway
title = Materials Study from Runway
dsc = 1
scv = 0.0005008777
sbv = 0.3
sci = 9.595192
cap = 9.6
}
Science
{
id = temperatureScan@KerbinSrfLandedRunway
title = Temperature Scan from Runway
dsc = 1
scv = 0
sbv = 0.3
sci = 2.4
cap = 2.4
}
        Science        {

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.