[0.25] [x] Science! v4.0 (2014-10-24) [Old thread]

Bodrick

Hm. Yeah, definitely looks like a rounding error. Guess I'll just clamp the values to 0.1 science because as you say, it's basically complete at that point ;)

I'll release a hotfix for that soon (maybe this evening?). As for the visited biomes filter - I'll probably implement that along with ScanSAT integration and a further options menu for version 3. I'll also try to get blizzy's toolbar integration in with that version - there may be a little bit of a wait for version 3 but I'll see what I can do :)

v3.0 is out!

Now with CustomBiomes support! (N.B. CustomBiomes' extra experiments will not appear until you've entered the flight scene at least once - KSP doesn't load the CustomBiomes plugin until you enter the flight scene, so there's not much about that I can do unfortunately :( )

xCPb3xG.png

And onboard science tracking! (Shows amount of science you'd get if you retrieved all experiments from every vessel)

NGBdHsG.png

Changelog:

---
* Added onboard science detection.
* Added support for CustomBiomes.
* Fixed experiments not showing up as complete correctly due to a floating point rounding error.

Enjoy :)

Hey there! Mod worked perfectly pre 2.0, and ever since 2.0 (Including 3.0) many tasks that I have already completed have gone back to saying they are incomplete. A bit annoying really! Also is it possible to put in support for custom science sources? I personally use BTSM mod and they have a few additional sources of science (Like imaging scanners) that would be great to track.

I can take a look at adding support for BTSM - I can't make any guarantees on that though as that mod makes a lot of changes to science gathering, which could make it a pain to integrate with.

Interesting about your 2.0+ issue - could you upload a save file and let me know what mods you use so I can look into that? I'm going away this weekend so won't be able to look at it until Monday evening, but I'll try to figure it out then :)

The mod looks amazing! Also, maybe, just maybe, in my own game installation it seems like a worthy opponent to ScienceAlert.

It gives this "non-automated" feel that was always searching for while retaining the easy-to-access compiled science information.

I am sorry if it has been answered already, but do you support other mods that add science collection?

If not - how easy is it to implement? I think ScienceAlert uses some sort of check for science modules on parts, if it detects such then adds them directly to the experiment tracking list.

EDIT: Scratch that. I just had to look at the screenshots closely to see the Magnetometer experiment data. Since DMagic's mod is almost the only thing I use - I am satisfied.

Edited by smunisto

Glad you like it :)

Any new parts that have basic ModuleScienceExperiments should be added to the list of available experiments automatically. OrbitalScience (which uses a custom implementation) is also supported. Other mods might be detected, but could have their science levels calculated incorrectly.

If anyone has any issues with a specific mod please let me know and I'll try to add support for those mods if possible.

Great, nice to see that mod is being developed :) Really waiting for science alert feature (it wasn't so bad until I started to use Orbital Science mod, now that I have lot of science part for each vessel it gets really tiring keeping track of all of them manually) :wink:

Maybe this was changed in the latest version but does your addon take the difficulty settings for science into account, especially the multipliers?

Also it seems to not register my experiments all the time:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=327881026

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=327880990

Custom Biomes is installed.

Edited by DocMop

Hello there,

I would like to report this mod is fabulous but generate an enormous amount of lag when exiting on EVA, or any change of biome, as it reapply all the filter. It's a serious performance killer.

I noticed as well a few perks not detected as completed around the mun... I get a 0 science gain on EVA as if I have already completed it but Science shows me the perk as being not yet finished.

Anyway this is a great plug-in.

Kind regards.

Edited by FrancoisH

I love the new feature, showing science already on Ship.

But i keep getting smalll freezes whenever i do a Gravmax, then xScience shows xp on vessel, then i may click on keep result. Looked into F12', its throwing red exceptions. Have a Log file for you, look at line 58248 (there i watched it, that it's when i do the Gravioli. I had 28 of them to finish Minmus :) Log File: output_log-xScience3.0.zip

Just discovered another, xScience shows me theres science to do when its not, and shows me science on ship when i do it (while i get 0 points for it actually). I had this only on 2 Experiments at 2 Biomes so far: Orbital Telescope Oobservations and Broad Spectrum Analysis (both Orbitalscience), @ Minmus lesser Flats and another Flats one i dont remember. I guess only 2/4 give Science, not 4/4 you probably assumed.

edit: Minmus's Flats and Great Flats give Science, Lesser Flats and Greater Flats don't.

Edited by Tahib

Any chance of this being disabled in the editors? It keeps spamming the log when a context menu for a part is up and lags it pretty bad. Likely it really shouldn't be doing anything while you're editing a craft anyways. Just a thought.

This is the issue I reported.

I had to disable science. On my BTSM and a few mods, it's ok because there's only 300 perks or so... But with my fully modded KSP it's more than 3000 available and the lag is horrible... When decoupling, it freeze the game for a few seconds... When entering atmosphere, the peak lag could reach a few tens sec... So I had to disable even it's a really nice add-on. It spam the log so much, like 20 up to 30 entry per sec on decoupling.

Hope this will be fixed soon because I like... no I love this plug-in ;)

Sorry to hear people are having lag issues - I'll take a look at optimizing everything for the next release. I've already thought of a few ways I can do things more efficiently, and I'll try to get something sorted for the end of the week :)

You're welcome, this is an awesome mod but I can't use it on my heavily modded KSP because it make it unplayable. I think more add-on you have, longer the science options list is... And longer is the perks list.

Keep it that way and you'll have the best science helper add-on available :)

Kind regards.

Hmmm, I've disabled this temporarily, but the lag persists, so I think it isn't entirely from Science. I'm only getting the lag in the editor when I have the context menu up for aerodynamic parts. I initally thought it was the debug spam from Science but I'm beginning to thing it's FAR that is the culprit in that case. I've got a total of 48 mods running so yeah, lag is a bit of a given. I'll have to check the FAR thread and see if anyone is fussing about it over there.

Btw, maybe i missed something but what is a perk? I've seen it mentioned and I'm not sure I understand what it is in this context.

This mod really, really doesn't like one of my mods or combos of mods. At all. I'll do my best to explain what happens: it loads the game itself fine. It loads my save fine. But when I reach the KSC of my main save, going to any of the individual parts of the center makes all buttons unresponsive and creates a weird overlay where the actual game screen remains as whatever KSC facility I clicked, but the outlying overlay is of the overall KSC. As well, the escape menu opens but none of the buttons actually do anything, just flash on click. Output logs, using 32 bit windows .25 :

With [x] Science! : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74775048/output%20logs/output_log.txt

Without : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74775048/output%20logs/ksp/output_log.txt

Screenshot of symptom : wQWPon1.jpg

I might not have seen it asked or if anyone has even asked before, but one feature request I'd like is an option to use blizzy's toolbar or the stock one. I prefer blizzy's, personally, because of how you can hide the toolbar and only see it when you need it. The stock toolbar is also just a bit to large for my liking, but that's another subject all together.

Other than that one request, this is quite a nice little mod. Keep up the good work!

Edit: Just saw what Acc posted. If it is updating all the time regardless of if it's being used or not, then that is definitely something that should be looked at.

Edited by FiiZzioN

v3.1 is out!

Hopefully the performance issues people have been having should be much better now. I've also made it so that if the window isn't open, the mod doesn't do anything.

Also:

Compact mode!

I4KJZyn.png

NOT searching with -!

7CEuLVT.png

And a few other bug fixes as well.

Changelog:

• Can now use the - symbol to do NOT searches e.g. "goo -Minmus".
  • Added compact mode.
  • Moved the complete experiment filter option to the settings panel.
  • Now only updates when the window is open.
  • Fixed ArgumentNullException when running alongside Karbonite (thanks Jaxx).
  • Fixed experiments not being detected in biomes with spaces in them (thanks Tahib).
  • Now refreshes the experiment cache far less frequently - only once per scene instead of whenever science is obtained or the active vessel is changed.

Enjoy :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.