Access violation

I just bought the game from Steam, and after I click start new game, an error pops up that reads

"Unity Player [version: Unity 4.5.2f1_9abb1b59b47c]

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module KSP.exe at 0023:012b65b0.

Error occurred at 2014-10-08_183658.

C:\Users\user\Downloads\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by user.

53% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [3808 MB free].

0 MB paging file [0 MB free].

0 MB user address space [2610 MB free].

Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Context:

EDI: 0x0023eb24 ESI: 0x00000001 EAX: 0x00000000

EBX: 0x00000000 ECX: 0x00000000 EDX: 0x531cfb70

EIP: 0x012b65b0 EBP: 0x0023ea2c SegCs: 0x00000023

EFlags: 0x00210287 ESP: 0x0023e9e4 SegSs: 0x0000002b

Bytes at CS:EIP:

8a 10 40 84 d2 75 f9 2b c6 50 51 8b 4d 10 e8 fd "

I've tried reinstalling twice, but it still crashes at the same point. the game works on my other computer, but not my main one, which is the one that should be able to handle it. I've tried setting it off read-only, but it won't go. A thread I found says that I can't take it off read only, due to folders not working that way. I also cannot find out how to exclude a file from norton if it's the thing crashing KSP.

Edited by JaBoy
more info

I'm having this same issue. Trying a (second) clean install after manually deleting the KSP steamapps directory. Will try with read-only and report back with logs.

After new install - first launch was from steam. Made no settings changes. Created a career mode game. Clicked research building and exited, clicked mission control building and exited, clicked VAB and crashed on load. All subfolders in KSP dir are read only.

No error log was generated by KSP. The windows exception threw:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: KSP.exe

Application Version: 4.5.2.26843

Application Timestamp: 53bac1e4

Fault Module Name: StackHash_9412

Fault Module Version: 6.3.9600.17114

Fault Module Timestamp: 53648f16

Exception Code: c0000374

Exception Offset: PCH_32_FROM_ntdll+0x000735D4

OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 9412

Additional Information 2: 9412035320650541430a04df3fd15444

Additional Information 3: e944

Additional Information 4: e944766475f9417af6648122c8da6800

which isn't very helpful.

Next I tried deleting settings.cfg and launching from KSP.exe. Game loads, clicked VAB...no crash this time, but graphics don't load properly. Turned off antialiasing and lowered render and texture settings. No improvement, outside a comforting pixelated patina. Guessing at where the controls were, I was able to build a little ship and launch it. Physics hit okay...in fact things worked well except for some unexpected behavior with the inertial path reticule. Decided to try to go full screen and raise the render quality a bit. Game didn't crash but monitor lost input until I opened task manager. Forced a quit, no error logging of any kind.

Downloaded and installed GeForce 344.11 drivers for my GTX 560. Deleted settings.cfg and launched from KSP.exe. Same issues. Exiting the VAB crashed the game and threw a KSP error log this time though:

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.5.2f1_9abb1b59b47c]

in module KSP.exe at 001b:00685c7d.

Error occurred at 2014-10-09_224218.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by Arophon.

91% memory in use.

3309 MB physical memory [277 MB free].

0 MB paging file [487 MB free].

2048 MB user address space [61 MB free].

Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Context:

EDI: 0x00122524 ESI: 0x7e4d071c EAX: 0x0000244a

EBX: 0x00000000 ECX: 0x00000000 EDX: 0x00000024

EIP: 0x00685c7d EBP: 0x09ccf680 SegCs: 0x0000001b

EFlags: 0x00010212 ESP: 0x09ccf650 SegSs: 0x00000023

66 0f 7f 01 66 0f 7f 41 10 66 0f 7f 41 20 66 0f

Ok, more info:

Version: 0.25.0 I use Windows, 64 bit, and got the game through Steam.

Detailed explanation: I open the game, get to the main menu, click start game, click start new, I don't change any options, and click Start!. It goes to the black loading screen for about two seconds, and then crashes. I get the same error every time (posted above).

output_log https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjyn5qf3ljyoya9/output_log.txt?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting the same thing. I've just come back to KSP after a bit of a break (trying to find that elusive work/wife balance). Ran the patcher to get everything up to date, and confirmed that I'm running the latest version. At this point, I had no mods installed. I'm running Windows 64, using the 32 bit version of KSP downloaded from the KerbalSpaceProgram.com site in zip format.

The error seems to occur specifically with multiple displays enabled, with KSP set to display in full screen. I have tried every combination of the two displays (primary and external) and KSP in windowed and full-screen mode. With KSP in windowed mode, it starts up without a problem regardless which monitors I have enabled. In full screen mode, it works with either of the monitors enabled, but not both.

I have noticed that the display settings do not seem to take effect immediately, so I struggled to find a pattern at first. If you set the display to window mode (disable full screen) using the launcher, and then launch, it initializes in full screen, hangs there for a few seconds, and then starts loading in Windowed mode. Same also occurs in the other direction: Enable full screen using the Launcher, and then run it, and it initializes in the previous mode, and then starts loading in full screen.

The full crash log folder has been uploaded to https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbczplqp2rl5w6e/2014-10-22_185222.zip?dl=0

Ok, more info:

Version: 0.25.0 I use Windows, 64 bit, and got the game through Steam.

Detailed explanation: I open the game, get to the main menu, click start game, click start new, I don't change any options, and click Start!. It goes to the black loading screen for about two seconds, and then crashes. I get the same error every time (posted above).

output_log https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjyn5qf3ljyoya9/output_log.txt?dl=0

Go to AMD.com and try to update your video card drivers using the Catalyst Control Center. Also, are you running any kind of aggressive anti-virus scanner or other security software that could be interfering with KSP?

I'm getting the same thing. I've just come back to KSP after a bit of a break (trying to find that elusive work/wife balance). Ran the patcher to get everything up to date, and confirmed that I'm running the latest version. At this point, I had no mods installed. I'm running Windows 64, using the 32 bit version of KSP downloaded from the KerbalSpaceProgram.com site in zip format.

The error seems to occur specifically with multiple displays enabled, with KSP set to display in full screen. I have tried every combination of the two displays (primary and external) and KSP in windowed and full-screen mode. With KSP in windowed mode, it starts up without a problem regardless which monitors I have enabled. In full screen mode, it works with either of the monitors enabled, but not both.

I have noticed that the display settings do not seem to take effect immediately, so I struggled to find a pattern at first. If you set the display to window mode (disable full screen) using the launcher, and then launch, it initializes in full screen, hangs there for a few seconds, and then starts loading in Windowed mode. Same also occurs in the other direction: Enable full screen using the Launcher, and then run it, and it initializes in the previous mode, and then starts loading in full screen.

The full crash log folder has been uploaded to https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbczplqp2rl5w6e/2014-10-22_185222.zip?dl=0

Have you tried updating to the latest Intel graphics drivers. At my workplace, we have about, oh not many, only about 2,000 devices with that same graphics options, and my experience has been that the Intel drivers have a tendency to be crap. Usually updating them fixes a lot of strange issues. Also, are you running Windows 8 by any chance?

Have you tried updating to the latest Intel graphics drivers. At my workplace, we have about, oh not many, only about 2,000 devices with that same graphics options, and my experience has been that the Intel drivers have a tendency to be crap. Usually updating them fixes a lot of strange issues. Also, are you running Windows 8 by any chance?

I have now updated my Intel graphics drivers - same result. I'm running Windows 7. I'ts not a showstopper for me, because I can still run it windowed, but would be nice to get it sorted out. If it helps, if I change to full screen from within KSP, after it's loaded, it goes into full screen on the laptop's screen, in spite of the fact that I have the external screen set as the primary display. My next step is going to be to install it on my HD laptop, which has an NVidia display adapter, and try the same thing. I'll let you know the outcome of that.

After new install - first launch was from steam. Made no settings changes. Created a career mode game. Clicked research building and exited, clicked mission control building and exited, clicked VAB and crashed on load. All subfolders in KSP dir are read only.

No error log was generated by KSP. The windows exception threw:

[....]

One of the telling signs here is that your computer is almost running out of memory, meaning a quick peak in memory usage may be the thing crashing KSP. Try closing all other programs while playing KSP, and if this is stable consider installing some extra memory for your computer. This is really the cheapest upgrade there is. If closing all other programs doesn't help, you might have AVAST! 8 Antivirus installed which messes with KSP's memory usage a lot. If you have this installed switching to another AV might do the trick.

You really do need to fix the read-only thing too (if you haven't already). You can copy-paste KSP out of it's steam install location to somewhere like C:/Games/KSP. You might need to also run down your save games if they aren't in your steam install.

For the memory spikes that Kasper is talking about, the other thing you can do is change Texture Quality to Half or lower. This will reduce the memory requirements of KSP a bit. V0.25 seems more memory hungry than previous versions and seems to cause crashes for people even if they have 4GB of memory installed.

Cheers,

-Claw

• 1 month later...

At least your are getting logs, mine just randomly crashes. X64 - x86 makes no difference, nor if am modded or un-modded. I have tested my memory with a standalone tester, no problems. I actually have three instances on separate drives, one vanilla, one for testing mods separably, and one I have heavily modded. They all crash randomly. This is the only game I have that does this.

Ah the joys of Beta... lol

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having this problem with all Unity Player run games. I have had to play on different PC's just to get my money's worth on these kind of games.

Just to mention the games: Heartstone, Plague Inc. Evolved (steam) and Kerbal Space program(steam).

I spent quite a while conversing with Blizzard customer service reps and man the answers, "troubleshooting" and "solutions" were just, how do I say this, fruitless.

Anyway all this config, driver update, memory leak people talk about makes me think that the people who came up with these pseudo-solutions clearly don't understand the underlying problem. Unity Player has serious stability issues on certain Windows OS and hardware combinations.

The so called memory leaks are caused by mishandled memory allocation(and possibly garbage collection) and read/write process between Unity Player and the OS.

SO IN SHORT don't worry people its not you(and your rig) it's mostly the developers of the game choosing Unity Player and not knowing why this is happening.

Edited by captain_soban

• 7 months later...

My game crashes randomly every time. At firsth it didn't generate a report but now it does.

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.6.4f1_99f88340878d]

in module KSP.exe at 0023:00cd1502.

Error occurred at 2015-08-18_150118.

D:\Kerbal Space Program\Kerbal Space Program Orion\KSP.exe, run by Luka.

87% memory in use.

4095 MB physical memory [511 MB free].

0 MB paging file [963 MB free].

0 MB user address space [76 MB free].

Don't know what is it but im sure it's not the memory. It says 87 % of memory in use. I'm playing on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

It's memory. Not your physical/computer memory, but the game used 4GB (>4096MB) of your RAM which WILL crash it on Windows. The only solution is to go to Linux 64-bit. There's a 64-bit workaround for Windows, but it tends to be very unstable for most people, and no one will give you any help on the forums if you use it (because of that).

I don't understand. Why do some installations crash at 80 % and some at 97 %. It doesn't make any sence. In the task manager window it says about 500 MB of free space. Also I doubt that the game would use 4 GB of memory as it wouldn't even load. If I use 64 bit ksp, would that mean that the RAM usage would drop? Thanks in advance. :)

% means nothing, since the total can be different. The only thing that matters is the total allocated memory (including video memory and page file). Free space is irrelevant. EG I've got 32GB of memory, but if I try to run a heavily modded KSP on Windows it will crash at 12.5% memory in use, with 27000-some MB free. KSP cannot use more than 4GB of your memory without crashing, no matter how much you have, if you're running Windows. The important line from that error is "4095 MB physical memory". It tried to allocate more than 4GB (4096MB) and crashed. KSP 1.1 should include a 64-bit Windows version, which will solve this issue. Until then, use Linux, use fewer mods, and hope that none of the memory leaks in the stock game cause too many issues. Save early, save often. Using OpenGL instead of DirectX 9 can also help.

If I only have 4 GB of memory and the system has 1 GB in reserve, I'm left with 3 GB. As far as I know therr isn't enough memory even for 32 bit. That's why I'm mentioning the percent. If you have 32 GB of RAM I understand that the game will only use 3.5 ore 4 GB.

so it seems i also have this issue. sucks as i it worked fine on this same system a month or so ago always freezes up about 10 seconds after menu. even with graphics turned down i get this:

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.6.4f1_99f88340878d]

in module KSP.exe at 0023:003b9fa0.

Error occurred at 2015-08-24_085656.

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by lowbu.

48% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].

0 MB paging file [3747 MB free].

0 MB user address space [1866 MB free].

when i run task manager im not even close to maxing anything out. so confused

Context:

EDI: 0x00000000 ESI: 0x00000020 EAX: 0x00000000

EBX: 0x00000000 ECX: 0x84a5642c EDX: 0x00000000

EIP: 0x003b9fa0 EBP: 0x010ef1ec SegCs: 0x00000023

EFlags: 0x00010246 ESP: 0x010ef13c SegSs: 0x0000002b

89 3a 83 c2 04 83 c1 04 4e 75 d9 8b 75 0c 8b 4d

The error log alone isn't very useful, especially truncated like this, all it's saying is that no memory was available to the program and it tried to write to 00000000, which is null and shouldn't happen.

Please upload your full error log, output log, ksp log and dxdiag log to a file share site and post the link here.

You can find more info on these file in the support stickies.

How much RAM do you have?

- - - Updated - - -

How much RAM do you have? If you have 8 GB the game will use 3.5 GB maximum and if I't exedes the limit it will crash. Have the task manager open and monitore the memory usage of KSP 32 bit. You could also try the memory monitor mod.

• 1 month later...
The error log alone isn't very useful, especially truncated like this, all it's saying is that no memory was available to the program and it tried to write to 00000000, which is null and shouldn't happen.

Please upload your full error log, output log, ksp log and dxdiag log to a file share site and post the link here.

You can find more info on these file in the support stickies.

I am having the same issues as the others.

dxdiag

error

Output log

This is a brand new pc and have tried restarting with ksp being the first thing launched. Any help is appreciated.

I am having the same issues as the others.

dxdiag

error

Output log

This is a brand new pc and have tried restarting with ksp being the first thing launched. Any help is appreciated.

You're running out of memory:

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!

What mods do you have installed ?