0.90 Kerbal Weather Systems! Alpha 0.5.3 WIP! (Jan 2)

silverfox8124

@theonegalen CPU usage can be easily managed with my sim. You can set how many cells per tick you want to update, and how long until each update. In time there will be more advanced settings you can set to further adjust your resource usage.

just a thought - could a large portion of this be simulated outside of KSP and then loaded into the game like a forecast? The game would render the clouds, winds, temps, press, etc for that time/place but not have to worry about any real-time modeling, just transitioning between various weather states already modeled

@Gaiiden, It's an interesting idea, and I'll definitely give it some thought. But one problem I see is that ksp still needs to feed it(the simulator) values. As this simulator isn't exclusive to ksp anymore, in fact, with the newly developed simulator, and enough knowledge, you could fill it with your own data (Even real word data) and it would go through it's calculations and simulate it. All ksp is needed for, is it's values. I am also working on an interactor which takes ksp values and feeds it to the simulator, whilst also displaying information to the user and doing any ksp related things that need to be done.

ALSO: Thank you Gaiiden for all the rep comments you've made, and thank you to anyone else who gave me rep comments as well! I really appreciate it!

Edited by silverfox8124

@Errol, I can confirm that stock aerodynamic support will be a thing for the 1.0 release. I already have the method half-implemented, just need to add in the .... far does and replicate it for stock.

Also note, still working on things, decided to play around with particles atm, I regret this decision greatly. Shuriken particle system is default to a "cone" shape instead of a "Sphere" shape I want and I can't change the emitter shape via code, and with the legacy particle system I can't change the same variables I can with the shuriken system... Sometimes I greatly dislike Unity's way of doing things...

~SilverFox8124

• 2 weeks later...

Dev Update!: Progress has been sloooooowww. But I fixed a major bug that was causing framerate issues(In dev version, I don't work with the live version anymore). and am *almost* ready to start working on going from sun and thermal heating, to moving heat around with wind! After that will be clouds! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Dev Update! With KSP 1.0 coming out within two days, I've decided to rewrite(again) my mod to be native with ksp instead of being a unity sim. Some features previously mentioned may be scrapped at this point(such as the ability to feed the sim any numbers you wish).

Hey, just been trying this out, unfortunately I have no wind and no interface but the clouds and layers are there? I'm running 0.9 and am not using EVE of any kind?

Btw, I'm running this on Linux 64 bit

Edited by pingopete

@pingopete do you have FAR installed?

Yes and it's up to date :(

Also I was wondering if it'd be possible to include vertical gusts to produce turbulence caused by upward and down drafts when flying in or above larger cells?

One other thing, I mentioned a while back about having multiple wind speeds at different layers (i.e. higher speeds/differing directions) at higher altitudes? Just wondering if this was by any chance included yet?

Cheers again, this looks great so far, I love the API thing, as potentially if one could get data from each cell you could have weather mapping satellites and what not! :)

Edited by pingopete

Dev note: Yes, KWS DOES NOT WORK IN 1.0! That is because there was a lot of stuffs changed and I have to rewrite a good chunk to get compatibility.

ALSO: It seems as though when I try accessing body.orbit.radius from the main menu via the list of bodies in FlightGlobals, it nulls out. KWS pretty much requires this process to happen at that stage. If I can't grab the orbital radii of the planets, or access any of the planet data for that matter, KWS is going to look quite grimm.

Edited by silverfox8124

@pingopete, I apologize, but I'm not bughunting for 0.90 anymore. I'm working to get KWS up and running for 1.0 as soon as possible.

No that's okay I understand :) Maybe I can get this upcoming 1.0 version to work with 0.9.. I can't bare to re-update all my mods to 1.0 just yet :P

Edited by pingopete

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.