0.90 Kerbal Weather Systems! Alpha 0.5.3 WIP! (Jan 2)

silverfox8124

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@everyone I have returned! But not to the modding scene yet. I am still in college and the program is very demanding of me, I don't have the drive and spare time to dedicate an entire few days solely to research like I used to. This sim has reached a rather large wall and I need to go cutting around, digging, and looking through things to find what's right and what isn't, and what needs to be added or removed.

In terms of graphics, those are the least of my concern, and aren't even on the roadmap anymore, since it is in such a far away future, with the rewrites of the sim taking up the roadmap now. Graphics are the very last thing that will be added, and when I first release this mod once I get it working and stable, it wont have graphics, just wind power and numbers.

What I need in terms of help is someone with meteorology background and/or has coding background that is somewhat recent. Someone who can dedicate the time I can't currently, otherwise this will have to wait until May at the earliest (which is when I'm out of school).

Edit: I also wont be supporting Fahrenheit. I very much dislike that unit of measurement, very unscientific.

Edited by silverfox8124

7 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I agree the mod shouldn't support it (might as well just use Kelvin like the game does), but here's why I prefer to use it when discussing weather as it relates to regular people

main-qimg-a4fa70fd3a4655c201b0e2d1f90698

yes, on a scale from 0-100, Fahrenheit is better at conveying stuff. However, Celsius is just the same stuff offset by -50 degrees, 0-100 is arbitrary.. -50 and you're pretty much dead, 50 degrees and you're pretty much dead.Thing is, the only people that can relate to it are Americans. Everyone else in the world uses Celsius.

On 3/18/2017 at 8:29 PM, silverfox8124 said:

yes, on a scale from 0-100, Fahrenheit is better at conveying stuff. However, Celsius is just the same stuff offset by -50 degrees, 0-100 is arbitrary.. -50 and you're pretty much dead, 50 degrees and you're pretty much dead.Thing is, the only people that can relate to it are Americans. Everyone else in the world uses Celsius.

And the British about 30% of the time.

Important thing is that it integrates with far like kerbal wind did/does.  I'm pretty sure that it has to, actually.  Kerbal wind guy said something to that affect a while back.  Fortunately ferram4 says far is about ready to go official.

On 3/19/2017 at 9:31 PM, ss8913 said:

And the British about 30% of the time.

Important thing is that it integrates with far like kerbal wind did/does.  I'm pretty sure that it has to, actually.  Kerbal wind guy said something to that affect a while back.  Fortunately ferram4 says far is about ready to go official.

No, I do not have to integrate with FAR. KerbalWind does because it's a damn rip off from KWS in the beginning, which relied on FAR. However, I will be adding stock compat with the next release, whenever that may be.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

@silverfox8124 It would be realy useful if there would be some kind of API available allowing other mods access to the current weather condition for a specific location. For KSPIE it would be realy useful to determine if it clouded on not  which would influence the effectivity of beamed power.

On 3/19/2017 at 1:16 AM, Drew Kerman said:

I agree the mod shouldn't support it (might as well just use Kelvin like the game does), but here's why I prefer to use it when discussing weather as it relates to regular people

main-qimg-a4fa70fd3a4655c201b0e2d1f90698

The first time I saw a report on a heat wave in America where they mention 100 degrees, I though people being were being boiled alive in the streets. LOL

Edited by FreeThinker

Alright everyone, reply time ayyyy. I'm once again in school, intensive program, and as usual, my motivation for this mod is very low. However, I do have an update planned out. I will simplify the model and release as a new mod and name and use a weather model similar to Breath of The Wild. This will ease computation requirements and also allow for us to fast-track the development a bit. However, I am still poop at graphics, so that's always a problem to try and solve. Later anyways, when I get my motivation back.

~SilverFox8124

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.