Plane Parts Colliding with Launchpad when Flying near KSC

I have encountered a bug that seems to occur when flying near KSC with a plane (spaceplane) craft. In particular, this seems to occur on final for Runway 09, because I don't see this occur on takeoff from 09. ON one occasion it looks like one of the smaller structures near the VAB blew up from the collision, but I didn't capture a screenshot of that prior to uncontrolled vehicle disassembly. The parts that seem to collide are the the Small Delta Wing and the Structural Wing Type B.

System specifics:

Windows 7 (64-bit)

Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.4GHz (stock speed)

8 GB DDR3 RAM

KSP Build info:

build id = 00642

2014-10-07_10-59-44

Branch: master

Screenshot:

http://imgur.com/gPq3Gc6

I'm not sure how to attach a craft file, though I am open to suggestions.

I'm not sure how to attach a craft file, though I am open to suggestions.

You can upload to a place like mediafire or pastebin. This happens on occasion, but it's been very difficult to replicate. So if you can get it to happen repeatedly, please provide more details. :)

Cheers,

-Claw

You can upload to a place like mediafire or pastebin. This happens on occasion, but it's been very difficult to replicate. So if you can get it to happen repeatedly, please provide more details. :)

Cheers,

-Claw

You are right. I was able to replicate the problem by reloading the quicksave within the same session of KSP, but once I restarted the game and reloaded the quicksave, I was not able to replicate the problem. Sorry, for the false alarm.

This bug has been around forever btw. But I think it's more likely in .25 because the plane parts now have lift values, and the bug seems to only target lift parts. Usually to replicate it you simply need to fly far away from Kerbin and return. Like flying an SSTO to Minmus or another planet without ever closing the game at any point during the mission. But it only happens on occasion.

• 1 year later...

This happened to me with a dream chaser style space plane. Launched it on a rocket, but after a free return trajectory around Mun. Upon re-entry and flying over KSC, the wings started sheering off piece by piece. The F3 log stated I'd collided with the launch pad, but I was like 2km up! I was able to save the plane... mostly (Just the crew capsule lol)...

I was able to save the plane... mostly (Just the crew capsule lol)...

At least the important part made it. :)

I might have to build a data logger for this bug or something. Seems to be hard to really track down.

Cheers,

~Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.