.25 x64 "unstable" thread?

CatastrophicFailure

I'm sure I'm missing some multi-dozen-page ..... fest on this so I'd be appreciative if someone can point me to it. 64-bit is now tagged officially "unstable" by Squad, so mod makers are officially not supporting it and disabling their own mode in it, thereby negating the whole point of x64 and its increased memory limits?!?!?!?!?

um...lolwut?

I have tried .25 x64 and it's definitely more unstable than the previous version of x64. Reason being that when I tried loading a save game, it would crash very often (which wasn't the case in 0.24 of x64). So, I would stick back to 32-bit x86 for the time being. That's what I been doing.

As for what is causing the crashes, I may need to check the logs.

I' using the x64 version with

FAR,

Texture Replacer,

Real Solar Systems,

Kerbal Joint Reinforcements,

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements,

Interstellar,

Chatterer,

ModuleManager.2.4.5,

New skybox,

Kerbinside Full,

USI Exploration Pack,

Treeloader and Rasterprop Monitor,

and it all works fine for me.

I only had some startup crashes when using Debrefund or Trajectories.

What work for player A doesnt works for player B. And no conclusive ideas why that is so to see on the horizon. Hence the tagging as "unstable". And for the time beeing no amount of "but for me everything is fine" will change this until mayor updates are here.

Maybe some people should change their perception from "64bit is cool, 32bit is lame" to "64bit isnt working for the majority of players, but 32bit does". To get 64bit working has nothing to do with skill, its more about luck at this point in time. If you really want to help and not only to brag then supply the community with in depth information about your testing enviroment.

What i understand from postings on reddit is that Squad is planning a heavily moderated thread where the community and the devs are going to try to really get rid of the bees in 64bit. This could be the right way to do it.

so mod makers are officially not supporting it and disabling their own mode in it
Any particular modmakers doing this? By which I mean specifically coding their mods to check for architecture and refuse to run on 64-bit, as opposed to just writing a mod that happens to crash or have bugs or saying they won't troubleshoot 64-bit issues.

Any particular modmakers doing this? By which I mean specifically coding their mods to check for architecture and refuse to run on 64-bit, as opposed to just writing a mod that happens to crash or have bugs or saying they won't troubleshoot 64-bit issues.

I know that FAR is. It checks to see if you're running x64 and disables itself if you are.

I know that FAR is. It checks to see if you're running x64 and disables itself if you are.

You can see the source, edit it and recompile. If you lack the ability then there's nothing you can do. It was disabled to stop people reporting bugs when they're generally Unity/Squads problem - if you can edit the code yourself there's a good chance you understand what you're getting yourself into.

Checking over my logs, it appears that it tried accessing an invalid area of memory through XInput (causing a Memory Access Violation).

Edit: I'll just put the logs inside the Windows x64 thread found in support.

Edited by Bandock
Changes to the post.

I'm using x64 with all the blue (marking my current update point) mods on this list, 45 or so:

http://1drv.ms/1EBoK65

...and with the exception of a couple of minor visual glitches, it's running fine for me, for several hours at a time at least. I suspect the degree of instability that people are seeing with it is highly hardware-dependent, one way or another.

(That said, I'm also running with -force-opengl, and I'm told, at least, that that's much more stable under x64 than the default DirectX. If you're having x64 stability problems, seeing if this option stabilizes them for you might provide some useful data.)

-c

Mine only crashes if I try to launch through Steam, if I open the .KSP64exe then it runs fine, there are a few bugs like having to go in and out of the R&D building when I research a part so that it shows it's actually researched but other than it looks good.

I dont think we will see a full spectrum stable x64 until stock KSP makes full use of x86. At the moment, stock KSP runs just fine relatively, so no need to really work on the x64. Sure they have researched it hence the version we have, but as we can see its nowhere close.

We have been explaining it for month but we are getting tired of repeating it. Crash on Winx64 have nothing to do with mods. Unity 4.x is unstable on Winx64 when you reach a certain amount of memory used.

And strangely we got tired of being called names. Big surprise.

RSS & RealChutes off the top of my head. Now FAR too I guess. Darn near caused a civil war over on the RealChutes thread from what I saw.

What work for player A doesnt works for player B. And no conclusive ideas why that is so to see on the horizon. Hence the tagging as "unstable". And for the time beeing no amount of "but for me everything is fine" will change this until mayor updates are here.

Maybe some people should change their perception from "64bit is cool, 32bit is lame" to "64bit isnt working for the majority of players, but 32bit does". To get 64bit working has nothing to do with skill, its more about luck at this point in time. If you really want to help and not only to brag then supply the community with in depth information about your testing enviroment.

What i understand from postings on reddit is that Squad is planning a heavily moderated thread where the community and the devs are going to try to really get rid of the bees in 64bit. This could be the right way to do it.

Now THIS is what I was looking for, thank you. I don't reddit so this all seemingly came way out of left field to me. FWIW x64 has worked just fine for me in Win8. Wouldn't run for five minutes in Win7. Is there any sort of correlation documented there perhaps? Where is this heavily moderated thread you speak of?

and Squad, if you're reading this, how about some kind of OFFICIAL status update via the dev blog or other official channel about exactly what's going on & what's being done about it?

Now THIS is what I was looking for, thank you. I don't reddit so this all seemingly came way out of left field to me. FWIW x64 has worked just fine for me in Win8. Wouldn't run for five minutes in Win7. Is there any sort of correlation documented there perhaps? Where is this heavily moderated thread you speak of?

and Squad, if you're reading this, how about some kind of OFFICIAL status update via the dev blog or other official channel about exactly what's going on & what's being done about it?

As of yet, the latest official statement is that it's unstable, and use on your own risk.

If nothing has changed yet (and it doesn't seem like it did), then there's no need for them to constantly remind people about this

RSS & RealChutes off the top of my head. Now FAR too I guess. Darn near caused a civil war over on the RealChutes thread from what I saw.

Mods I've found on this list so far are [incorrect information removed].

-c

Edited by Cerebrate
talking through my hat

The initiative (or the discussion about it) was pushed aside by the hypetrain of course, but can be found here:

Initiative: Let's help squad improve the stability of x64 in 0.25+

The was quite some activity of devs here, for example Harvester:

Harvesterposting

We`ll see what the future holds :)

Mods I've found on this list so far are Deadly Reentry, FAR, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, Kethane, MechJeb2, and RealChute, FWIW.

These mods implement CompatibilityChecker (as do many others) but not all of them disable when the compatibility check fails. (Kethane, at least, does not.)

These mods implement CompatibilityChecker (as do many others) but not all of them disable when the compatibility check fails. (Kethane, at least, does not.)

Oops.

...guess I was reading the source incorrectly. Incorrect information deleted, and apologies.

-c

I think the language used could use a bit of a tweak.

There are two issues here:

*Mods that genuinely are not compatible with KSP Windows x64 (I have yet to hear of a report of one of these that didn't turn out to be KSP Windows x64 being broken)

*Mods that lock themselves on KSP Windows x64, due to KSP Windows x64 being broken and us not wanting to cause (or be thought to cause) issues, and us not wanting to release for a platform we literally cannot test on because it crashes too much.

It is worth noting that no mods lock themselves on Linux x64, and to my knowledge none are incompatible with it either.